E. N. World Gamer Cancelled?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Greylock said:
Russell, I haven't followed ENWorldGamer from day one here on the board, but I sincerely loved the one issue I picked up at a newstand. Here in Memphis, TN of all places.

I have criticised PDFs a bit as not my cuppa, but if I knew a pay-to-download PDF offered all the goodies that one mag (Issue 2) had, I'd buy it unseen. Every single time, every single month. Why? I trust this crew, and your taste. Served me pretty damned good so far.

Figure out some way to keep Gamer going, and I'll keep sending in the $.

Unfortunately, paid e-zines are both more expensive to produce than a regular PDF product, and they also sell far, far less. It would end up costing money. Nobody buys the darn things!

We still have Issue 3, and are trying to work out what to do with it. It can't go to print now, but the work has all been done - we have an entire magazine in electronic format. Selling that one issue as a PDF is an option. Breaking it up is another option - the d20 mini-game on its own would be a pretty nice little 10-page product. We'll think of some way to recoup the cost of producing it.

Greylock

First Post
Morrus said:
Unfortunately, paid e-zines are both more expensive to produce than a regular PDF product, and they also sell far, far less. It would end up costing money. Nobody buys the darn things!

Did not know that. Of course, I've yet to get bit by the PDF bug, so I can't claim to even remotely understand the market. What else I fail to understand, is how Mongoose can File 13 ENWorld Gamer so quickly. It didn't seem to get a legitimate shot. Issue 1 never made it to my market, so I figger the same goes for lots of other folks. Issue 2 disappeared pretty fast 'round here.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
I was alot a little surprised/dissapointed that it dissapeared so quickly. It didn't even have a chance to get showed of at a Gencon. If you guys were loosing barrles off money though I can't blame you.

I'm glad to hear that something will probably be done with issue 3. (Especially since I wrote an article for it).

Macbeth

First Post
MatthewJHanson said:
(Especially since I wrote an article for it).
I believe an article I wrote was also scheduled for issue three, so it's good to know that it might still see the light of day. I sent a email to RangerWickett asking what would become of the articles, and since I have gotten no responses yet, I would assume they're still deciding.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
My (not so) friendly neighborhood game store told me that they couldn't special order the magazine the first month it was out. Looking at their distributor's website shows that they were full of it.

And then they wonder why folks go mail order...

The Auld Grump

We want to sell the magazine file, slightly edited, as a pdf. We're examining how to handle the details of it, though. Also, Jake has a high-level college courseload, and it's mid-terms time, so he's been a little busy. We'll let you know more when we've decided it. *grin*

I'm glad to hear that people are still interested in the magazine. Stay tuned.

Greylock

First Post
Tsk, tsk. Excuses are unseemly, Mr.Nock. Now, hurry and gather up your friends and seperate me from my money before I go on disability. That gives you ten days. Get busy, times a'wastin'...

:p

superpriest

First Post
Has there been any information on the EN World Gamer? The magazine's page is very out-of-date. I'm hoping to hear about a pdf version of issue 3.

Look, I'm in a bad mood today, so you get to know the truth, even though it's not really smart for me to say this. I want to sell the bloody pdf. Everyone else in ENPub wants to sell it. But no one else seems to want to okay my proposals for how to compensate the writers and artists, so it's just languishing. I don't have the ability to put the product for sale, so I'm left to just prod my co-workers every few days, in hopes that they'll actually spend the 5 minutes it takes to make a damned decision.

On the up side, Chainmail Bikinis should be on sale tonight or tomorrow, only 29 days after its original scheduled release date. It was ready for layout by March 25th, but it just didn't happen.

So see, I'd love to be releasing these things as soon as they're done. If I could, I could probably afford to pay the rent on writing, instead of having to take a second job at a grocery store.

A man needs a good rant every once in a while.

Remove ads