• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Khuxan said:
From the work you've done so far on incantations, have you found their layout and mechanics unwieldy? That's the impression I've gotten from my experiments.
Unwieldy? Yes, mainly because the double grunt of aiming for a spell level AND consideration of the DC - which is independent of the level (at least as I read it) - it only determines necessary successes and casting time.

This has the by-effect, that most incantations get far too easy to make, at least in standard D&D, because the skill-DC is definitively made for d20 Modern (and even there, they get ridiculously easy on higher levels) - but E6 avoids this problem, due to the smaller span of levels/lower range of skill bonuses.

But I think the concept is a nifty thing for lower magic campaigns (as E6).

And for the format: Well, it is reminiscent of the original spell format, so it works for me. But it could be done better.

jjsheets

First Post
Psionic Mending Feat for my E6 campaign

I'd like some critique on a feat for my Psionics Only game:

PSIONIC MENDING [PSIONIC]
You have taken up the role of Mender, and are capable of healing yourself and others much faster than normal.
Prerequisite: Wilder level 1 or Egoist level 1.
Benefit: As a Psi-like Ability, you can spend power points to heal yourself, or another, as per the table below. You can spend up to your manifester level in power points per use of this ability. You can only target one person per use of this ability. Metapsionic feats cannot modify this ability.
  • 1 power point, 1d3 healing
  • 2 power point, 1d4 healing
  • 3 power point, 1d6 healing
  • 4 power point, 1d8 healing
  • 5 power point, 1d10 healing
  • 6 power point, 1d12 healing

Note that it is more cost effective to take your time with this power, taking 6 rounds to heal 6d3, an average of 12 hit points, instead of 1d12 in one round. The situation may call for more rapid healing however. For Menders healing themselves, it can be more cost effective to use the Body Adjustment power when spending 5+ power points (Assuming the character has that power).

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
jjsheets said:
I'd like some critique on a feat for my Psionics Only game:

There is a power in the Compleate Psion [touch of healing] that is a lvl 1 power that heals 2hp per psp spent.it is an obscure powers list - so unless your acutally a divine mind (a weak new psionic class) it requires the expanded knowledage feat, ie the ability to manifest 2nd level powers.

This would be a lot simpler than your idea - although more powerful than body adjustment - still far weaker than a cleric.

jjsheets

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
There is a power in the Compleate Psion [touch of healing] that is a lvl 1 power that heals 2hp per psp spent.it is an obscure powers list - so unless your acutally a divine mind (a weak new psionic class) it requires the expanded knowledage feat, ie the ability to manifest 2nd level powers.

This would be a lot simpler than your idea - although more powerful than body adjustment - still far weaker than a cleric.
My Campaign lacks magic of any kind, so there's no need to worry about stepping on the toes of Clerics. :)

Much like Ryan, I'd like to stay away from Non-OGL sources for my Campaign. It is nice to know what other powers are out there and how they are balanced though. I also prefer the feeling that rushing the healing makes for less healing. Somehow that just feels right. I also specifically want to make this power available even at first level, since without it, there'd be no way at all to heal up the PCs at that level... :confused:

So I guess what I really want to know is... does this feel overpowered or underpowered to anybody? (Though it is intended to be underpowered when rushing it...)

Khuxan

First Post
jjsheets said:
My Campaign lacks magic of any kind, so there's no need to worry about stepping on the toes of Clerics. :)

Much like Ryan, I'd like to stay away from Non-OGL sources for my Campaign. It is nice to know what other powers are out there and how they are balanced though. I also prefer the feeling that rushing the healing makes for less healing. Somehow that just feels right. I also specifically want to make this power available even at first level, since without it, there'd be no way at all to heal up the PCs at that level... :confused:

So I guess what I really want to know is... does this feel overpowered or underpowered to anybody? (Though it is intended to be underpowered when rushing it...)

I definitely like the idea that rushing healing decreases how much you heal - that forces characters to make sacrifices. Having said that, I definitely think it's underpowered. If you make healing so expensive, you'll get the same problem that currently exists with clerics - that one character can't do anything fun because they have to be the bandaid. A first level spell only healing 1d3 damage is pretty miserable.

jjsheets

First Post
Khuxan said:
I definitely like the idea that rushing healing decreases how much you heal - that forces characters to make sacrifices. Having said that, I definitely think it's underpowered. If you make healing so expensive, you'll get the same problem that currently exists with clerics - that one character can't do anything fun because they have to be the bandaid. A first level spell only healing 1d3 damage is pretty miserable.

You got me thinking... for a feat it is underpowered... How about this:

You have taken up the role of Mender, and are capable of healing yourself and others much faster than normal.
Prerequisite: Wilder level 1 or Egoist level 1.
Benefit: As a Psi-like Ability, you can spend power points to heal yourself, or another, as per the table below. You can spend up to your manifester level in power points per use of this ability. You can only target one person per use of this ability. Metapsionic feats cannot modify this ability.
  • 1 power point, 1d8 healing (average 4.5)
  • 2 power point, 1d12 healing (average 6.5)
  • 3 power point, 2d8 healing (average 9)
  • 4 power point, 2d10 healing (average 11)
  • 5 power point, 3d8 healing (average 13.5)
  • 6 power point, 3d10 healing (average 16.5)

Note that it is more cost effective to take your time with this power, taking 2 rounds to heal 2d8 for 2 power points, instead of 2d8 in one round for 3, etc. The situation may call for more rapid healing however.

Khuxan

First Post
I like this version much better. You still need to clarify what range it is and what action it takes (standard, I assume?)

jjsheets

First Post
Khuxan said:
I like this version much better. You still need to clarify what range it is and what action it takes (standard, I assume?)

Standard Action, touch range. I'll add that to my campaign notebook. Thanks for the suggestions/clarification-poking guys. :)

green slime

First Post
rycanada said:
That said, I'm convinced that the fighter is weak in D&D, and E6 just makes it more obvious.

hmmm... interesting.

Especially considering the martial adepts.

What else could be given to the fighter, in your opinion, (either beyond E6, or within it).

The Souljourner

First Post
Ahh, that capstone ability is pretty sweet for the fighter. I was thinking about giving the fighter the ability to take feats that up his effective BAB for the purpose of qualifying for other feats. But yours works pretty well without eating up another feat by the fighter.

Also, the fighter does get access to weapon specialization, which at 6th level is still a big boost. If you allow that capstone, that allows even more feats only the fighter can take, and then it starts to look like the fighter is actually doing what he's supposed to do - just out-fight everyone else.

Is there a capstone for rogues as well? Trap Sense +2 isn't really compelling.

-Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads