• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6 with Generic Classes

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Just to make sure I understand your intention, is this a correct interpretation of how a dive spellcaster would work:

- A divine caster starts out with his set of spells, and no domains.
- He takes this feat once and earns a domain power, as well as access to that domain's spells.
- He takes the feat again to earn a second domain power, and to expand his spell list further.

So basically, the caster is growing into a specialized role via the feats. Is that correct? If so, it sounds reasonable to me. I rather like it, in fact.

The other alternative I see would be to up the prereqs (eg, Knowledge 6 ranks) but allow the selection of two domains with a single feat (representing training in an "order" devoted to that pair of domains). This would save a feat for PCs.

But since I recall that you're running to high XP levels (total 25 feats or so, right?), and advancement in E6 is purely feat-driven after a point, saving that feat might not be a huge concern. And frankly, doing it via two feats feels more "organic".

wotmaniac

First Post
Just to make sure I understand your intention, is this a correct interpretation of how a dive spellcaster would work:

- A divine caster starts out with his set of spells, and no domains.
- He takes this feat once and earns a domain power, as well as access to that domain's spells.
- He takes the feat again to earn a second domain power, and to expand his spell list further.
yep, pretty much. special note: they will still have to select spells know like a sorcerer, it's just that domains (potentially) open up more options to choose from.

So basically, the caster is growing into a specialized role via the feats. Is that correct? If so, it sounds reasonable to me. I rather like it, in fact.
oh, why thank you :)
yes, that is correct.

The other alternative I see would be to up the prereqs (eg, Knowledge 6 ranks) but allow the selection of two domains with a single feat (representing training in an "order" devoted to that pair of domains). This would save a feat for PCs.

But since I recall that you're running to high XP levels (total 25 feats or so, right?), and advancement in E6 is purely feat-driven after a point, saving that feat might not be a huge concern. And frankly, doing it via two feats feels more "organic".
yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Cool; thanks -- that's the confirmation I was hoping for (though, that's not to say that I'm not open to critique ;))

wotmaniac

First Post
I'm kinda stuck on economy in an E6 world.
As I see it, the size and scale of economies in this system would be greatly reduced. As such, stuff like GP-limit for towns/cities/etc. would necessarily need to be adjusted.

Thoughts? I've read the Economicon (here and here), but I'm still unsure what things should look like in an E6 world.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I don't have any terribly in depth opinions or insights on economy, unfortunately. My only thoughts on the subject are very specifically for non-standard games. Fwiw, IME6C-- which is low-power, quite low-magic and not overly concerned with "encounter balance"-- I pulled back to a silver/barter economy and completely eliminated the magic trade. (Item Creation is also restricted.)

I've kept prices more or less at default D&D levels, but cut most treasure awards (most especially "liquid" things like coin and gems) back to about 1/10th standard, or swapped them out for heavy objets d'art, goods, and the like. The result (by intention) is that, frex, even a mundane longsword is a decent treasure, and a +2 flaming undead bane longsword is worth a small keep.

This also encourages barter and status-based trade (letters of credit, favors for landholders, etc). So that mundane longsword could easily be swapped for a good horse in barbarian tribelands, whereas in other places a bolt of silk might be a better trade, and in a busy port city coin would be the way to go. There's a lot of room to be flexible if players are into that sort of thing: provide skill checks, allow for creative service-for-goods swaps, etc.

It's not even much work-- as long as magic items are strictly controlled. It's pretty much just decide on the fly "What would this barbarian trade for that fine spear?" sort of logic. Doing it like this also makes those ridiculously paltry sums that come out of Craft or Profession skills quite a bit more significant.

But again, this is a very specific type of campaign, not suitable for default D&D in which magic is more prevalent. YMMV ;)

rusty2667

First Post
If the name wotmaniac signifies what I think it signifies, then you may appreciate this one since the idea is inspired by the late, great Robert Jordon:

Call Wolfbrother(s)/sister(s)

Prerequisites: Wild Empathy, Handle Animal 4 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 2 ranks.

Benefits: You are able to call 1-2 wolves if available within 1 mile radius using limited telepathy as communication. Basic communication is possible, but more complicated concepts are difficult or impossible. So phrases like "Defend us!" and "Guide us north out of the woods" will work, anything more complicated will require a Handle Animal check. The wolves will aid you as best as they can for one hour. After that a Handle Animal check is required every hour with increasing difficulty.

Last edited:

wotmaniac

First Post
I like where you went with that -- I'll definitely have to let that simmer a while, to see what else comes of it.

Thanks.

p.s. -- you guessed right ;)

JediJake

First Post
This might have been said before but here goes, instead of calling them "feats" for things like rage and the like, call them talents a la SWSE or special abilities or what have you.

Also having run something very much like what your suggesting has been some of the most rewarding gaming experiences I have ever had. The players love the freedom to play exactly what they please without being overshadowed by the other characters in power. As a DM it cuts down on bad guy creation by a metric poop ton. I just made a few quick lists of generic bad dudes of all the levels we would play and whip them out as needed. Good times where had by all.

wotmaniac

First Post
The players love the freedom to play exactly what they please without being overshadowed by the other characters in power. As a DM it cuts down on bad guy creation by a metric poop ton.
This is what I'm hoping for.
I'm also hoping that this particular design will help to take the focus off of the character sheet, so that more energy can be put in to story immersion.

Thanks.

Remove ads