(SPOILER WARNING) The Extended Version of Fellowship of the Ring

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
The long opening scene with Bilbo has it's flaws, but it has it's advantages too.

It is true it slows down the film.
It is true that, in the beginning, Bilbo is the main character!
However, the transition to Frodo occurs relentlessly. It is not just an abrupt transition from Bilbo to Frodo: the story transfers to Frodo, and then Frodo becomes more and more the main character as the film continues.
Might I add ... the BURDEN of being the main character of the story slowly falls on Frodo, relentlessly, piling up into a weight beyond carrying, even as the story shifts to make him more and more the main character.
The lengthened scenes with Bilbo give a MUCH greater insight into hobbits and the Shire.
The ominous nature of the story begins earlier, right at the beginning practically - and from there it builds without relent. In the theatrical version, the true ominousness begins after the Birthday Party - not here in the theatrical version!
Frodo's character and background are explored, and Frodo's relationship with Bilbo is now understood (and this adds further angst to a film already filled with angst.)
Sam's background and character are strengthened.

The Ring is the main enemy in the extended version.
Not Saruman. Not the orcs. Not the balrog. Not even Sauron per se ... Sauron is, paradoxically, the Ring, and the Ring is Sauron.
In other words, Sauron is omnipresent. He is there, right there, throughout the whole film from start to finish. Gandalf even says it: They are one, Sauron and the Ring.

Now, the Ring cannot directly kill people, as say the orcs can ... but the Ring can do far worse than kill people! Death would be a mercy compared to the fate the Ring would choose for a person.
The dark fate promised by the Ring hangs over everyone. In the extended version, it REALLY hangs over everyone. Over Aragorn. Over Boromir. Over Frodo. Over Bilbo. Also over Legolas, Gimli, over Elrond himself. Certainly over Galadriel.
The horror hangs over Gandalf, briefly. Then he seems to be the only one safe from the horror ... until the Ring draws evil to itself, and Gandalf is the first to die.

Last edited:

CrazyMage

4th Level Lawful Good Cleric
I've been greatly enjoying the Extended Version, although I'm still stuck on the first half of the movie as it's so much fun to listen to the FOUR commentary tracks. Too cool, just like the Argonath bookends.

Must continue watching now.:)

KnowTheToe

First Post
My spine is all tingley. My copy shipped from Amazon on Monday. Friday night I am turning off all of the lights, turning up the surround sound (until my wife complains it is too loud) and immersing myself into the movie. I can't wait.

I am glad I read all of your comments, I might have tried to start it on a week night when I could not truely commit myself to it.

Michael Tree

First Post
In his commentary, Peter Jackson said that the "concerning hobbits" scene possibly made the beginning too wordy and slow when combined with the prologue. I tend to agree.

That said, most of the other additions only improve the film. (Except for the mithril scene in moria, which didn't really add much, and made the film drag a bit). The scene with Bilbo and Frodo at the party was a nice addition to their relationship, the scene at the green dragon inn did far more to explain the nature of hobbits and the shire than the wordy intro by Bilbo, and all the character and plot building scene with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir were sorely needed.

Kai Lord

Hero
I liked the extra bits at the beginning with Isildor, but Frodo's introduction in the theatrical release was much better. Imposing the title over him while he reads his book as the main Hobbit them chimes in was the perfect intro.

Many of the extra characterizations were fantastic, some were out of place.

The editing of the Cave Troll fight was much more frenetic and intense in the theatrical edition.

Merry and Pippin taking out Uruk-hai with throwing rocks lessened the credibility of the threat they faced. It was better in the theatrical edition where they just stand there in fear then are effortlessly scooped up and taken away.

The extra scenes with Galadriel were great.

The Moria scene where they all talk about the greatness of Mithril is redundant when Frodo's shirt is revealed.

The scene with the Wood Elves lessens the impact of Arwen's entrance.

My favorite additions were the extra bits with Arwen and Aragorn and the scene where they all receive gifts from the elves.

All in all I prefer the theatrical edition. The Extended Edition was hit and miss. The theatrical release was elegant, poignant perfection.

Droogie

Explorer
CrazyMage said:
I've been greatly enjoying the Extended Version, although I'm still stuck on the first half of the movie as it's so much fun to listen to the FOUR commentary tracks. Too cool, just like the Argonath bookends.

Must continue watching now.:)

The audio commentary with the actors was hilarious. WELL worth listening to.

Billy Boyd at the end of the credits: "I'd like to thank the DVD guys for letting us do this, but was it really neccessary for us to be naked? I'm getting a bit cold."

Sulimo

First Post
Well, I LOVED the extended version...every single change improved the film in my eyes. The theatrical cut is definitely banished. The main things it fixed in my eyes was Gimli and the pacing of the second half of the film, which bugged me as it felt like it lurched of action sequence to action sequence with little else. The additions really filled it out to make it feel much more like the book.

The changes to Aragorn's character were exacerbated though.

Last edited:

durath

First Post
what I liked

This thread is losing steam and will die soon it seems so I want to have my little voice heard.

One thing that no one has mentioned is the fact that when we first hear Gandlaf singing, "The road goes ever, ever, on" in the extended version the music compliments his singing.

In the original there was a totally different score overplaying his singing and to me it sounded awful. In the extended version they fixed this. Now the music goes along with the singing.

A small change to be sure but I enjoyed it immensely. Come to think of it I can't recall one change I didn't like. The only gripe I still have about the movie is the fact they didn't include the scene of the fellowship being blindfolded as they were led to Galadriel. The exchange between Gimli and Legolas over this matter was one of my favorite scenes from the books and I was hoping it had been restored as well.

Hard to complain about such a great film but I really miss that scene.

Welverin

First Post
Re: what I liked

durath said:
A small change to be sure but I enjoyed it immensely. Come to think of it I can't recall one change I didn't like. The only gripe I still have about the movie is the fact they didn't include the scene of the fellowship being blindfolded as they were led to Galadriel. The exchange between Gimli and Legolas over this matter was one of my favorite scenes from the books and I was hoping it had been restored as well.

Do you know if they even filmed it? There is some footage of the elves leading them throught the forest, which leads me to believe they didn't.

Remove ads