D&D 5E Earth elemental grappling and burying alive questions

Zander

Explorer
Here's a series of related 5e questions that I would very much like answered. I tried to find answers on the board but didn't find what I was looking for. Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place...

An earth elemental successfully grapples a PC/NPC or monster on its turn. The PC/NPC/monster then fails to break free on its turn.

On the elemental's next turn, could it use its earth glide movement to drag its opponent into the ground and leave it there? From the RAW, it looks like it could though its movement rate would be halved for dragging.

What are the consequences for a creature that breathes air of being buried in natural earth or stone? Would it take crushing damage and, if so, how much?

Could a creature without a burrowing speed escape? If so, what check would it be and how far could it dig in a round?

Enquiring - and devious - minds want to know!

Thanks.

Ahglock

First Post
I had a similar idea but just from enemies with burrow. It doesn't have to create a tunnel. I just didn't do it as I couldn't come up with a fun way to do it.

For burrow I'd probably treat it like rock to mud giving them a effective dig out speed based on making a strength save or athletics test. Earth glide won't chew up the ground as its more like phasing. I think I'd just say can't be done as the target lacks the ability to phase through stone. I might give them some hit a brick wall at a run damage though.

Zander

Explorer
Thanks, both. It's a shame it doesn't work. My wizard can now conjure and bind elementals and I was hoping it could drag enemies away and kill them that way. But I accept Sage Advice rulings when I DM and expect my DM who was formerly one of my players will too.

Jediking

Explorer
What are the consequences for a creature that breathes air of being buried in natural earth or stone?
A funeral possession and a new headstone :p

But even if Earth Glide only affects the Earth Elemental, I like @Ahglock's idea of using the burrowing speed (without triggering Earth Glide) to physically tunnel through the earth, leaving a muddy or rocky path.

Could a creature without a burrowing speed escape? If so, what check would it be and how far could it dig in a round?
A Strength or Athletics check might be needed from the PC to dig out, or even a Constitution check/save to avoid losing your breath.
The terrain would affect how much they could move and the DC. Sand or silt might just be difficult terrain with half speed that they can crawl out of, but going through bedrock might need a higher DC Athletics check just to free their arms to move.

Satyrn

First Post
You might also be able to get you DM to buy into the idea more easily if you don't use it to such devastating effect. Instead of trying to suffocate the target, you could just half-bury it, so that it's restrained: can still attack attack from its spot, etc., but needs to spend an action or two digging out its legs of it wants to move.

Thanks, both. It's a shame it doesn't work. My wizard can now conjure and bind elementals and I was hoping it could drag enemies away and kill them that way. But I accept Sage Advice rulings when I DM and expect my DM who was formerly one of my players will too.

Earth Glide is still pretty neat for other reasons though, both in-combat and out of combat. Especially on a Mobile Moon Druid.

Remove ads