• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Earthsea - Review

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Legend of Earthsea will air at 8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday December 13th and 14th on Sci Fi Channel.

By Shawn Sines

The Sci-Fi channel has historically rolled out the big guns every year with their December special events. Last year it gave us the monolithic Taken and a Battlestar Galactica remake.

This year its focus shifts to a beloved fantasy series.

Capitalizing on the public fancy of The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films, Sci-Fi chose to adapt the first two of Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea novels - A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan.
Fans of the novels should not expect a faithful reproduction of the books but will still find the overall feel of them present. The series does bring a little of the novels' greatness to life on the screen through the good performances by the cast.

Legend of Earthsea focuses on the adventures of a young man known as Ged (Shawn Ashmore) who is growing up to find he has strange magical powers and is destined to become a great wizard. The core of the story is about power, pride and responsibility as Ged makes prideful mistakes and must work to correct those errors throughout his life.

After defending his home village from an invasion of the armies of Kargide, Ged is found by the local wizard Ogion (Danny Glover) and offered the chance to train and develop his powers to their fullest potential. Like all young boys, Ged soon rebels against the teachings of his new master and sets off to a far off wizard school.

Once Ged arrives the film begins to resemble Harry Potter too closely. Ged is befriended by a laid-back country wizard, a plucky female wizard and encounters a conceited wizard of noble blood. Most of the first night of the series follows Ged's development from wild youth to angry young wizard.

Inevitably, Ged and his nemesis Jasper push each other until Ged, in an act of pride, attempts to call forth the spirit of a long dead hero.
This act serves as the focal point in the story as Ged releases an evil creature called a Gebbeth into the world. Up until this point the series does a good job of capturing the essence of Le Guin's original stories.

Once Ged frees the evil spirit, however, the television adaptation strays thematically from the source quite a bit. The main focus of Le Guin's novels surrounds the fact that Ged feels great sorrow for his acts and is humbled in the quest to remove this evil presence from the world.

Unfortunately, in the series the gravity of Ged's humiliation and despair is not intact. Instead, the writers chose to integrate the story of the second novel into the tale and introduce a secondary arc featuring Tenar (Kristin Kreuk of the WB's Smallville), a kind-hearted young priestess who guards the secrets of the Gebbeth and its dark race. Tenar and Ged do not meet until late in the series second night, but from the beginning it is obvious that the two will end up together, saving the world from the Gebbeth.

Fans of the novels will rankle at some of the changes - namely the changes to Ged's character and the modification of the character of Vetch (Chris Guthier). Playing to audiences who are still enamored with the recent Lord of the Rings films, Vetch is rewritten to serve as Ged's Samwise Gamgee.

Also, the Kargath God-King from the second book is simplified and made into the stereotypical British bad guy King Tygath (Sabastian Roche), who prances around chewing up the screen like a cardboard James Bond villain. The shallow villain seems thrown in just for show, since Ged's adversary is truly the Gebbeth and his personal struggle against it.

Fortunately the acting saves Legends of Earthsea. Shawn Ashmore demonstrates that he can play an angst-filled character with some depth and does an excellent job showing the changes that Ged experiences along the way. Kruek's Tenar is wide eyed and innocent and frankly too one-dimensional overall. She makes a fair attempt to breath life into the character but she has no obvious flaws, and as such is dull.

Danny Glover and Isabella Rossellini both turn in strong supporting roles as the mentors of Ged and Tenar. Glover's Ogion is strong, reserved and mysterious and truly serves the mentor role well. The most surprising performance, however, comes from Chris Gauthier and Shawn Ashmore together. Both actors do an amazing job of portraying best friends and share some wonderful on-screen chemistry - far more than Ashmore and Kreuk's

Sado

First Post
:mad: :mad:

After reading the review, I was at first tempted to write this series off completely. However, I think I will base my opinion not on how closely it follows (or doesn't follow) the boks, but how good of a story the mini-series tells in spite of the differences.

After all, if it was just about strict adherence to books, I never would have seen the second and third LotR movies.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
Well, I don't have cable, so I won't be able to see it. However, I have to say a departure from the books might be a good thing. A Wizard of Earthsea might be considered a fantasy classic, but I found it horribly dull and a struggle to finish myself.

Mystery Man

First Post
Out of all the books I've read in my life I never touched these for on reason or another so I plan on enjoying the mini series on its own merits. Yay for me!! :)

CCamfield

First Post
LrdApoc said:
Unfortunately, in the series the gravity of Ged's humiliation and despair is not intact. Instead, the writers chose to integrate the story of the second novel into the tale and introduce a secondary arc featuring Tenar (Kristin Kreuk of the WB's Smallville), a kind-hearted young priestess who guards the secrets of the Gebbeth and its dark race. Tenar and Ged do not meet until late in the series second night, but from the beginning it is obvious that the two will end up together, saving the world from the Gebbeth.

Is it okay if I pound my head on the desk now?

Le Guin was trying to say something different in each of the original Earthsea books. Evidently that went right over the heads of the producers of the miniseries. Guards the secrets of the Gebbeth...?!?!?!?! :eek:

Krieg

First Post
CCamfield said:
Le Guin was trying to say something different in each of the original Earthsea books. Evidently that went right over the heads of the producers of the miniseries.

If you read LeGuin's comments on her webpage, I think you will find that she agrees with you 100%. :)

Last edited:

Starman

Adventurer
Krieg said:
If you read LeGuin's comments on her webpage, I think you will find that she agrees with you 100%. :)

Yeah, after the original trilogy, I'm not sure I liked what she was saying anymore.

Starman

CCamfield

First Post
Krieg said:

I went back to her site to reread those and well... it's more than that. \\
In the original Earthsea books, the first book is about Ged's rash actions, taking responsibility for the damage he has caused, and accepting himself.

Tomb of Atuan has nothing to do with that. It's the hardest of the first three for me to pin down on themes, but one thing it's shows is that the clergy, run by women, is still awful - gender has nothing to do with that. And it's about Tenar's coming of age perhaps, and choosing to leave the world she knows. It has nothing to do with the Gebbeth.

And the third book, obviously, is about death and coming to terms with death.

Remove ads