Easy way to run duels, jousts and mage duels

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Just run the fight as normal, except all damage is treated as subdual damage. Whoever gets to zero HP first is the loser. This makes contests and challenges much, much easier to run than the complicated rules in TQF or MoF.

For a joust, run as above, but anyone hit must make a Ride check (DC 5 + damage dealt) or be unhorsed. If you are unhorsed, you lose.

Last edited:

UnDfind

First Post
Simplicity works

That's how I've been running mock-fights. Works great. Haven't had a jouster in the group yet, but it'll work the same.

I think I may just do that with Mage Duels. I don't know how much I like the rules in Magic of Faerun. Haven't seen them in action yet, but this is a whole lot easier.

Victim

First Post
Well, I think that if you're going to bother including a special contest, a few extra rules for it aren't that big of a deal.

Also, I think mage duels have to be pretty complicated. For example, your system doesn't include restrictions on Death effects. In MaoF, a successful Finger of Death (between 2 mages, would you expect any other kind) only delivers a pretty nasty blow. In your system, it still frags the person. I wouldn't think stuff like that should happen in a mage duel. Also, I think that the 1/2 damage rule that they use is a good idea. Otherwise, I'd expect very frequent one hit KOs. If I was trying to simplify the mage duel, I'd just drop the free counterspell action.

Ace32

Explorer
In my games, dueling is no different from regular combat. Part of joining a duel is accepting the fact that unless the person who is dominating the fight lets up before you die; you will die.

If for some reason it is agreed to deal subdual damage, than the rules for making subdual attacks apply.

Hey, if you are interested in doing some more involved rules for jousts, duels, and tournaments, Natural 20 Press is having an open submission contest.

http://www.d20reviews.com/natural20/ and scroll down to Feb 19.

Even if you do just have these fairly simple rules, you can still submit them, and if no one else tries to submit jousting rules or dueling rules, you just might get in. Of course, don't just send in junk, hoping to win because of lack of competition. :)

Tetsubo

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip, what happens one one of the participants decides to actually kill? They may start out all friendly but than switch to lethal combat. How do you handle that?

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Finger of Death would do subdual damage and just drop the victim to zero hit points, unless the caster specified it would be lethal.

In my system, any lethal spell effect would immediately drop the victim to zero hit points (delivering subdual damage) unless the caster specified he wanted to deliver the spell normally. That's called cheating (and murder) and is frowned upon unless both participants agree to lethal combat. Such combat is to the death, of course.

Remove ads