D&D 5E Easy x Strong

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Hello guys. Really straight forward topic. New player buiding a character.
I was wondering which Subclasses fit both categories of "easy to play" and "feel strong".
I wanna take the time to learn more about the game without being overwhelmed and still contributes to the campaign success (Roleplaying and Combat).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hello guys. Really straight forward topic. New player buiding a character.
I was wondering which Subclasses fit both categories of "easy to play" and "feel strong".
I wanna take the time to learn more about the game without being overwhelmed and still contributes to the campaign success (Roleplaying and Combat).
Champion Fighter is very easy to play, and dishes out good damage. Totem Warrior Barbarian is similarly easy to play, very difficult to kill, and does respectable damage as well. Thief Rogue is a little more tactical but still very straightforward, very high damage output, and excels at skill-based challenges, but is pretty squishy. If you want to play a caster while keeping it simple, I recommend Infernal Warlock. With just Hex and Eldritch Blast spam, they can basically play like a more magic-themed archer, and compete on Fighters’ level for ranged damage output. Avoid Druids of any kind, they’re easily the most complex class.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Almost all of the subclasses are just fine.

The only ones I caution new players for are:

4 elements monk - it's the only one I think is weak and uses up your monk powers
Assassin - The main ability is the adv. when winning initiative, the auto crit will only happen rarely
Beastmaster - It is plenty powerful but will probably not play the way a player envisions a beastmaster to play like.

As far as 'easy to play' pick the ones with less resource management.

Champion Fighter is just about the easiest class/subclass combo in the game.

Conversely Warlocks of all types have a lot going on with them (they each have 2 subclasses as well as pick and choose abilities in invocations).

In my experience new players often have difficulty with Rogues as a lot of their potential comes from interacting with their environment. This will all depend on what kind of games you're used to. Video game players will be used to having options mapped out and then pressing those buttons to perform actions. 5e has returned to a style of game where you can just say an approach to a situation without needing an actual ability to do that. The open nature of the game can make Rogue characters tough for some if they aren't used to tabletop RPGs (or only played certain ones like 3e)

I would suggest that in terms of simplicity, swashbuckler beats thief.

Otherwise, warlocks are the easiest caster, life domain cleric for a healer, champion fighter.

Shiroiken

Legend
Generally suggest sticking to the base classes:

Cleric: Life is easy to run and is solid support. You won't be a massive damage dealer, but you can stand in the front to keep attacks away from your weaker allies.

Fighter: despite Champion being the "simple" choice, I'd still suggest Battlemaster. The use of the martial dice isn't that complicated and it makes the sub-class feel more useful.

Rogue: Thief is easy from the PHB, but none of them are particularly outstanding. If you can access the Swashbuckler, I'd go with that. You're primarily useful out of combat, but you won't suck in combat either.

Wizard: if you have access to it, Battlemage is easy to run and very strong. The others have some niche uses, but many of them require some experience to use them optimally. Alternatively, you could consider a Dragon Sorcerer of the fire variety, because you just cast fire spells and burn everything in sight.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The traditional training-wheels class is, of course, the Fighter. It's also the most popular, most relatable heroic-fantasy character concept.
Another obvious option (the better option back in 3.x, for sheer build simplicity, as well) is the Barbarian. Also super-familiar (thanks, Conan), but maybe not quite as relatable, with a bit of 'big dumb' baggage.

Both have the advantage of delaying sub-class until 3rd, so you don't even need too clear an idea what you want from the character when you start. (Wizard, in contrast, you get to deal with the baroque flourishes of neo-Vancian casting /and/ the features of your Tradition, from day 1.) Both have the disadvantage of not really teaching you the whole system. When you're bored with your fighter or barbarian, you're prettymuch starting over from square one, anyway.

Fighter -> EK could be a good introductory path. Start with a fairly durable, forgiving chassis, but, after you've got the d20 vs d12 and such down, pick up a little casting. Once you're ready to move on, you'll have a basic foundation in how most 5e classes actually work, and in the important resource-management game, both daily & short-rest.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Barbarian - Totem or Zealot
Bard - Lore (only for out of combat)
Cleric - Life, Light, Tempest
Druid - Moon
Fighter - Battlemaster, Samauri
Monk - Open Fist
Paladin - All are powerful and their mechanics are easy. If I had to pick one I'd pick vengeance.
Ranger - Gloomstalker, Hunter, Horizon Walker
Rogue - swashbuckler
Sorceror - Dragon, Divine Soul
Warlock - Any subclass
Wizard - Divination, War Mage

Those are the subclasses I think best meet your requirements. Keep in mind, some classes are easier to play than others. Typically, spellcasting is the feature that increases complexity. That said classes like ranger and paladin are more about supplementing their martial capabilities with magic. So they don't have to be played more complex than others, but they can be.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
Easy and strong? My Top choices, in no particular order:
Barbarian, Totem Warrior (Bear)
Paladin, Devotion
Wizard, Diviner

Cleric, Life / Rogue (all) / Bard, Lore / Fighter, Battlemaster are all very good classes, a bit less strong and a bit more complex to run.

S'mon

Legend
IME Bear Totem Barbarian & Moon Druid are the two that feel strong without requiring much player skill. The Barb just needs to rage early & often, while saving 1 Rage for the BBEG. The Moon Druid just needs to use tough forms like bear & dire wolf and be careful about using small/weak scout forms. They also need to remember to wildshape in first combat round, if not before.

Champion Fighter IME is too squishy to safely meet the easy + strong requirement, but with sword & board, duelist style, heavy armour and good STR & CON they are ok. I'd tend to recommend a Paladin using lots of Smites (& mostly ignoring casting) as easier/stronger in the same niche.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Ancestral Guardian Barbarians are extremely easy to play and are one of the best tanks in the game. Get good armor, a hammer and a shield. Once you hit 20 Constitution the armor can be optional. Prioritize Constitution and then Strength. Attack the toughest thing on the battlefield. Watch as it attaches itself to you. You will have a fairly high AC, a mountain of hit points and take half damage to all physical attacks.

Remove ads