[Eberron] Adjusting Warforged

XCorvis

First Post
After running a game with a warforged PC for several months, I've come to the conclusion that they are just a bit too strong for an ECL +0 race. However, I don't think they're quite strong enough to justify an ECL of +1.

Has anyone else tweaked the warforged to balance this out? I'd like to have them be solidly +0 or +1, not hovering between them.

(Note: I'm not really looking to discuss the issue of their power level - I'd just like to know what you'd do to make them slightly stronger or weaker.)

One thought I had was to give them low-light or darkvision (or both), which full constructs get.

Renfield

First Post
Hmmm... While I disagree with you on their being too strong my suggestion to make them a EL +1 race would give them that low light or dark vision as well as a +2 to strength. In too many pictures and descriptions of the warforged they are shown as being pretty strong but it was almost as though the developers decided against making them strong in favor of avoiding a +1 EL. So there's my 2 cents worth.

Scion

First Post
+2 to str, negate the wisdom penalty, and give them the choice of one of the following: bonus fighter feat, one of the warforged feats, or +1 spellcasting to the first spellcasting/manifesting class that they take (as in, treated one level higher for all spell/power purpose, just like the various prcs).

That would make them solidly LA +1.

Although I do agree that they are pretty solidly LA +0 as written.. if anything in my game the warforge that we had didnt seem overly strong.. the player got fed up with his healing problem eventually and got a different character.

XCorvis

First Post
Not to sidetrack my own thread, but the healing limitation was never really an issue for my party. They spent slightly more to get the wf healed, and that's about it. What most concerns me is the construct immunities. The wf character just waltzes through things that would decimate other players - poison, undead (paralysis and energy drain), traps. It seems like it's more of an issue at low-mid level than at higher levels. Not eating or sleeping is a HUGE bonus, one I find is severely underestimated. I also don't think the designers properly realized the implications of being able to enchant your own body.

But anyway, thanks for the input.

Scion

First Post
if you would like to start a thread in rules I'd love to hear more about your experiences and try to see what the issue is.. but overall using extra healing costs more resources and more time, you only have so many healing spells in a given day after all.. and the overall stat penalty makes me very weary of playing them generally.. I have no idea why immunity to sleep and eating is a big deal though.. food is cheap and a skill check away to get at worst most of the time, and a very cheap magical item gets rid of eating and nearly gets rid of sleeping as well ;)

Anyway, sorry about the rehijack.. I've always seen the warforged as an interesting option where the cons outweight the pros whereas core races are a lot of benefits.

Klaus

First Post
+2 Strength makes them LA +1.

Of course, hobgoblins have none of those neat immunities and are also LA +1, so...

Tetsubo

First Post
I'd give them a +2 Strength and make them immune to non-lethal damage. Or a +2 Sttrength and either Low-light or Dark Vision.

XeviatTranion

First Post
Make them a full construct, remove their constitution, and give them the bonus hp of a medium construct. I'm not sure if that's too powerful for LA +1, but I really hate the "living construct" type.

Remove ads