• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron: Any new material published?

Klaus

First Post
Not quite. In 2011, FR is getting the Neverwinter Campaign Guide (which includes a Bladesinger class), while Eberron is still relegated to DDI-only support.

I wouldn't be surprised if late 2011 or 2012 saw something for Eberron, like a Sharn or Xendrik Campaign Guide.
Well, and Eberron was the setting of D&D Online. :)

But hey, 2011 will see a new FR book, so maybe we'll see a new Eberron book?

ourchair

First Post
Not quite. In 2011, FR is getting the Neverwinter Campaign Guide (which includes a Bladesinger class), while Eberron is still relegated to DDI-only support.

I wouldn't be surprised if late 2011 or 2012 saw something for Eberron, like a Sharn or Xendrik Campaign Guide.
I would totally approve of such campaign guides.

To the OP: I've always felt that Eberron isn't getting much support, but truth be told, that perspective is relative: if you're looking from the perspective of spin-off products then yes, there're more FR novels than Eberron ones.

But we're still getting material, period. Novels, DDI material, etc.

Jhaelen said:
wish there was more setting-specific support in Dragon/Dungeon. I'm really not interested in getting monthly two-page articles for every race and class to further increase the feat/item/power bloat. Imho, what the online magazines first and foremost should provide is better background material.
I agree. I think we have way too many feats, and I wouldn't mind if so much of it wasn't biased for or against certain races and classes. The only thing about the Dragon magazines that consistently pleases me is the fluff, which is like 20% of any given feat-bloat article.

I like your idea of doling out incremental setting material through DDI. Sure, we have our 3.5 books, but it would be a great way of pacing the introduction of old material in 4th Edition terms according to demand.

Wulfen

First Post
I'd love to see more Eberron support at all. FR has had much more support in Dragon then Eberron and it seems like Dark Sun has almost as much in just a few short months as Eberron has had in the last year. I really enjoy the articles I get but I'd really like a broader base of setting material in Dragon, especially of the fluffy kind more so than the crunch.

tentfox

Explorer

However a new Neverwinter Video game (and the first 4th ed game) is coming out around the same time. This seems more like a cross media promotion to me; I doubt it is setting a precedent for the other 2 campaign settings.

ourchair

First Post
I can't expect that Eberron would ever get the same support as Forgotten Realms, if only because the latter at least has some kind of old-school fanbase, but would it kill them to make videogames and a signature novel series featuring some kind of dual weapon wielding badass acting contrary to his race and culture, and having a similarly badasss animal companion making perpetual cameos in the aforementioned videogames?

I mean, how demanding is that?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'd love to see more Eberron support at all. FR has had much more support in Dragon then Eberron and it seems like Dark Sun has almost as much in just a few short months as Eberron has had in the last year.
Welcome to ENWorld, Wulfen!

I spy a testable hypothesis :lol:.

Eberron support (October 2009 - September 2010)
- Dragon articles: 11
- Dungeon articles: 8
- Other articles: 1 (Haruuc's Tomb adventure)
- Total: 20 articles in 12 months (1.7/month)

Dark Sun support (June 2010 - September 2010)
- Dragon articles: 10
- Dungeon articles: 5
- Total: 15 articles in 4 months (3.8/month)

Yup. The evidence supports your perceptions: WotC does indeed like Dark Sun at least twice as much as Eberron :p

[size=-2](References: Dark Sun, Eberron)[/size]

badmojojojo

First Post
Also, 98% of the 3.5 material is still valid, fluff-wise, so those books (and there are something like a dozen really good 3.5 Eberron books) are great resources.

Truedat! I picked up a brand spanking new copy of Sharn on amazon market place for $7

Excellent supplement. Dont really much see the point of a 4e revision as its mostly fluffiness

ourchair

First Post
Truedat! I picked up a brand spanking new copy of Sharn on amazon market place for $7

Excellent supplement. Dont really much see the point of a 4e revision as its mostly fluffiness
It's also a pretty young setting, so it doesn't have decades of fluff. Depending on your mileage, this means:

a) there's less need to update the material
b) there's a greater need to introduce more material (edition differences notwithstanding)
c) both.

The way I see it, we don't need vast amounts of new fluff. Rather, we could use some magazine articles -- less feats, damnit -- to expand on small portions that were only briefly touched on in the books or provide more adventuring material.

As for print products, I'd be happy enough with a campaign site (a la Hammerfast or Vor Rukoth), an additional adventure that represents a more non-linear experience of Eberron (think treasure hunting in Xen'drik, written in the style of Slaying Stone) and a races handbook for Warforged, Kalashtar or Changelings.

jelmore

First Post
I don't know if this stuff is still available on the Wizards site or not, but there were quite a few 3.5 articles that fleshed out different parts of Eberron, with most if not all of them being written by Keith Baker himself.

I remember articles on the Daughters of Sora Kell, Zilargo, the Mournlands, kalashtar, druidic sects, and more.

jelmore

First Post
I can't expect that Eberron would ever get the same support as Forgotten Realms, if only because the latter at least has some kind of old-school fanbase, but would it kill them to make videogames and a signature novel series featuring some kind of dual weapon wielding badass acting contrary to his race and culture, and having a similarly badasss animal companion making perpetual cameos in the aforementioned videogames?

I seem to remember an interview with Keith Baker(?) where he stated that Eberron was originally not going to have the various traditional D&D sub-races -- no high elves per se, and certainly no drow -- but Wizards decided to "officially" incorporate drow into Eberron so that people wouldn't end up playing them the same way they do in every other setting. (Oh, look! Khyber is actually ruled by a drow empire! And their matriarchal society worships a spider goddess!)

The Realms can keep Drizzt; I'm happy with Abraxis Wren. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads