• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron as Call of Cthulhu

mgrasso

First Post
Okay, I'm sure what the world needs now is another Eberron thread... :)

But it seems to me that Eberron really is a great setting for exploring some Old Skool Lovecraftian themes. Think about it: the world's coming out of a devastating war which has shaken its psyche to the core (1920s, the long-time default Call of Cthulhu setting), there are weird beings from beyond existence intruding on our space... heck, there's even a Dreamlands!

So I think grafting on the Sanity rules from Unearthed Arcana and tweaking the D&D monster Sanity loss ratings from CoC d20 (maybe only having Aberrations, Undead, Oozes, and other weird creatures cause Sanity loss, since goblinoids et al. are common enough to the "PC races" not to cause Sanity loss) to Eberron for an inquisitive or other type of campaign might be kind of neat.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas on whether you'd run or play a game like this?

Mike

Maks of Nylarthotep

Would work perfectly - span the continent on the lightning rail between locations...

Travel to cospolotin areas (London, New York), plus grassy plains (Africa), and ancient pyramids (Egypt), and hidden island fortresses.

I'm busy trying to read through Eberron now, and then plan to map out locations.

BV210

Explorer
Well shoot. Now I may have to pick up Eberron and Call of Cthulu. Eberron hadn't really thrilled me a whole lot until now, but this idea is very cool.

mgrasso

First Post
Taking some more cues from existing products, both Call of Cthulhu and D&D:

Lovecraft was all about inbred, failing gene pools ("The Shadow Over Innsmouth"). You could go REALLY dark with the Dragonmarked Houses and make them a bunch of inbred, insane aristocrats. Maybe the marks are turning the more-damaged House members into dragonkin (use the dragon bloodline rules from UA) or something even more inhuman. And just why does House Lyrandar's crest feature prominent tentacles...? :)

Xen'drik is where the brave and stupid go to meet their fates. Ancient knowledge lies there in cyclopean ruins. Perhaps an adventurer comes back possessed like Professor Peaslee from "The Shadow out of Time" and starts acting strange. I think the possession rules in the Eberron book are going to be a big part of any Eberron/Cthulhu mashup.

Psionics are a gift from beyond, from capricious beings who foster the talent in sensitive humanoids. The kalashtar move through our world, beautiful and terrifying. Those who encounter them without the proper training are forever changed. Like an encounter with Nyarlathotep, the kalashtar act mysteriously and inscrutably and leave those they meet with disturbing and unwanted prophecies.

More later perhaps, as I work through my Lovecraft bibliography... :)

Kesh

First Post
Take full advantage of the Incantation rules from Unearthed Arcana. Anyone with the proper skill can read a dusty, ancient tome and start calling upon unnatural forces. Mix liberally with the Tomes from CoCd20, and you've got plenty of fodder for Cultists (Dragon Below, naturally), misguided aristocrats & scholars, or desperate commoners, all dabbling in Things That Must Not Be Named.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Funny you should mention this, as just yesterday I found my copy of Horror on the Orient Express and I'm wondering it it would be worthwhile to translate it to D&D/Eberron.

Horror on the House Orien Express, sounds too good to pass up.

Krieg

First Post
mgrasso said:
Maybe the marks are turning the more-damaged House members into dragonkin (use the dragon bloodline rules from UA) or something even more inhuman.
Sounds like a perfect fit for the Mojh from Monte's Arcana Unearthed.

Remove ads