• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Best Sourcebook?

Rechan

Adventurer
The problem is that several of the books are very, very specific. Sharn: City of Towers, the Secrets of, and Stormreach are all single locations (or at least, single areas, like Xen'Drik/Sarlona). So unless you're going to make your campaign heavy in Sharn, or heavy in Stormreach/Xen'Drik, then those books aren't going to be as useful. Dragons has few material your PCs are likely to come into contact with.

That said, Sharn is a very well put together book (albeit lacking in an index; you have to go to Keith Baker's website to get it). I still really dug the Stromreach/Xen'Drik books more than Sharn, but that's just me.

For my money, I'd say Dragonmarked and Faiths of Eberron. Religion and the Houses are so significant to the setting, and they're everywhere you go, so you'll get the most utility from them. Not to mention I thought the Dragonmarked book was very good.

However, I do agree with the above that the Dragonshards are an invaluable resource. And the best non-Sourcebook for Eberron is the Vicktor Saint Demain adventures in Dragon; if your campaign is set in Sharn, there's no reason you should not use those adventures.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Sharn: City of Towers, and I didn't even play in Eberron proper (I used the book as a stand-alone city setting). The book is fantastic.

Shroomy

Adventurer
However, I do agree with the above that the Dragonshards are an invaluable resource. And the best non-Sourcebook for Eberron is the Vicktor Saint Demain adventures in Dragon; if your campaign is set in Sharn, there's no reason you should not use those adventures.

Those adventures are awesome, probably some of Nic Logue's finest work. BTW, did anyone notice that tonight's Dungeon adventure "Heart of the Forbidden Forge" is set in Eberron?

Kaladhan

First Post
After reading this thread, I said to myself that I had to find Sharn : City of Towers. Behold, I have it and never read it! It's like Christmas all over again!

I'm not too fond of Forge of War. It has some good things, but I had other expectactions.

Glyfair

Explorer
The problem is that several of the books are very, very specific. Sharn: City of Towers, the Secrets of, and Stormreach are all single locations (or at least, single areas, like Xen'Drik/Sarlona). So unless you're going to make your campaign heavy in Sharn, or heavy in Stormreach/Xen'Drik, then those books aren't going to be as useful.
While it's true that Eberron can easily have campaigns that don't touch Sharn or Xen'drik, I think they will be the exception not the rule. Sharn is sort of the center of the Eberron adventuring universe. Xen'drik is almost as likely to be used in a campaign.

Sarlona, yeah. You'll either set a campaign there or not use it. The campaigns that "just visit" will be a small minority.

Dragons has few material your PCs are likely to come into contact with.
I don't know. Dragons are a central theme to a lot of Eberron. Just the draconic prophecy means most PCs will see a lot of dragons (whether they know it or not).

Klaus

First Post
Best (tie):

Sharn: City of Towers (it has tons of info that wouldn't be out of place in the campaign setting itself)
Secrets of Sarlona (essentially gives you an entirely new campaign setting-within-a-campaign setting)

Worst:
Not too fond of Forge of War.

Grymar

Explorer
My opinions:

Best:
Sharn: City of Towers. I literally ran an entire campaign out of this book and never lacked for ideas.

Very Good:
Eberron Campaign Setting
Dragonmarked

Worst:
Races of Eberron

Rechan

Adventurer
While it's true that Eberron can easily have campaigns that don't touch Sharn or Xen'drik, I think they will be the exception not the rule. Sharn is sort of the center of the Eberron adventuring universe. Xen'drik is almost as likely to be used in a campaign.
I don't agree with that. There is much, much more to Eberron than Sharn. In fact, I'm annoyed that every adventure published either Starts in Sharn or Visits Sharn. Eberron is more than Sharn. Even if your adventuring group has a layover in Sharn, it doesn't necessitate the purchase of the book. Xen'Drik is only important if you make it important, since it's a long travel away and removed from everything.

I don't think it's a radical statement to say if you aren't making Sharn or Xen'Drik pivotal locations in your campaign, you don't need a sourcebook on them.

Dragons are a central theme to a lot of Eberron.
A central theme in Eberron's background. The likelihood that the PCs encounter a dragon is very slim. Even if it's a dragon in disguise, well that's not really helpful.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Personally, I enjoyed the holy hell out of Forge of War. The only thing that'd've made me geek out even more would've been arrows showing general army movements and little explosion symbols or crossed swords for battles.

Of the others, I notice that it's the later ones that I really liked, like Faiths of Eberron and Secrets of Sarlona. I wasn't real fond of Secrets of Xen'drik, but I was a player, and not a DM, but the adventure sites were decent reading.

Brad

Remove ads