• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Best Sourcebook?

Grymar

Explorer
I don't agree with that. There is much, much more to Eberron than Sharn. In fact, I'm annoyed that every adventure published either Starts in Sharn or Visits Sharn. Eberron is more than Sharn. Even if your adventuring group has a layover in Sharn, it doesn't necessitate the purchase of the book. Xen'Drik is only important if you make it important, since it's a long travel away and removed from everything.

I don't think it's a radical statement to say if you aren't making Sharn or Xen'Drik pivotal locations in your campaign, you don't need a sourcebook on them.

A central theme in Eberron's background. The likelihood that the PCs encounter a dragon is very slim. Even if it's a dragon in disguise, well that's not really helpful.

I'm going to agree with you on this. As much as I love the Sharn book, it isn't required. I did my first Eberron campaign in Sharn and loved it, but my past two haven't touched it at all and have had very different feelings.

The second was in the Lhazaar Principalities dealing with pirates, sea battles, slavery...good fun stuff.

This current one is with the entire party playing as goblinoids in Darguun battling to see that their Dhakaani clan rises to the top in the reborn Dhakaani Empire.

Both are fun, both have nothing to do with Sharn or Xen'drik.

Sharn: City of Towers (it has tons of info that wouldn't be out of place in the campaign setting itself)
Secrets of Sarlona (essentially gives you an entirely new campaign setting-within-a-campaign setting)
I'm glad I read through before responding, because Klaus said exactly what I was going to right here.

Also: I like Races of Eberron because most of it is stuff that you could use in any setting. So, I don't like it for the same reasons, but it's a very useful, tookit approach.

I don't agree with that. There is much, much more to Eberron than Sharn. In fact, I'm annoyed that every adventure published either Starts in Sharn or Visits Sharn. Eberron is more than Sharn. Even if your adventuring group has a layover in Sharn, it doesn't necessitate the purchase of the book. Xen'Drik is only important if you make it important, since it's a long travel away and removed from everything.

I don't think it's a radical statement to say if you aren't making Sharn or Xen'Drik pivotal locations in your campaign, you don't need a sourcebook on them.
While I don't disagree, I'd say that Sharn is the most iconic location in Eberron, and a cool enough place in its own right that, well, why wouldn't you want to use it if you could? I mean, the book itself may not be quite as cool as Freeport or Five Fingers, but it's got them beat on variety and exotica.

Plus, the book is just that cool. One of the few gaming sourcebooks that I enjoyed reading for its own sake.

I don't have the Xen'drik or Stormreach books yet, but I'd like to track them down. Those are the kinds of books that I tend to find both useful and interesting.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
While I don't disagree, I'd say that Sharn is the most iconic location in Eberron, and a cool enough place in its own right that, well, why wouldn't you want to use it if you could? I mean, the book itself may not be quite as cool as Freeport or Five Fingers, but it's got them beat on variety and exotica.

Plus, the book is just that cool. One of the few gaming sourcebooks that I enjoyed reading for its own sake.

I don't have the Xen'drik or Stormreach books yet, but I'd like to track them down. Those are the kinds of books that I tend to find both useful and interesting.
Sharn is to Eberron what the City of Greyhawk is to Oerth: it embodies the setting in a nutshell.

The Xen'drik sourcebook is much more "toolkit-ish" than Secrets of Sarlona, but I think that also detracts a bit from it. Lots of Encounter Groups, a few locations and a couple of campaign arcs. I like Player's Guide to Eberron and Explorer's Handbook much better than SoX.

Glyfair

Explorer
As much as I love the Sharn book, it isn't required.
Honestly, nothing is required, outside of the Eberron Campaign Setting. However, the original poster asked about best (and worst).

IMO, best is Sharn, City of Towers (not necessarily favorite, but best). Worst is Magic of Eberron.

Other categories:

Most used: Player's Guide to Eberron.
Gives most value for money if you use it to create the campaign: Secrets of Sarlona
Best Adventure: "Chimes at Midnight" from Dungeon magazine.

Last edited:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I can't really decide which I like best - but I will say that, as unimpressive as some of the material in Races of Eberron was, the chapter on kalashtar (written by Keith Baker) was very, very good.

Klaus

First Post
I can't really decide which I like best - but I will say that, as unimpressive as some of the material in Races of Eberron was, the chapter on kalashtar (written by Keith Baker) was very, very good.
Totally agree on that. That chapter alone made me like kalashtar.

HailToTheThief

First Post
Firstly, this has been a hugely helpful thread to me. I have been out of D&D since 2nd Edition and, having come back for 4th, I've found Eberron to be a really cool setting. Unfortunately the Player's Guide provides diddly for campaign background, so I've bought a few of the older books for the fluff. Using this thread as a guide I've picked up the Campaign Guide, Secrets of Sarlona/Xendrik and City of Towers. I may pick up Stormreach and another book or two once I get through those, but it's a lot of reading!

That being said, I'm looking for you to guide me on the right direction as far as the novels are concerned. A few years ago my friend bought me the first Heirs of Ash book, as we are oldschool L5R fans and love Rich Wulf. I'm about halfway through it and have found it relatively enjoyable. A trip to Barnes & Noble netted me Queen of Stone and Storm Dragon, but in order to get the second or third book in any of the above trilogies (aside from QoS of course) I'll have to head back to Amazon, as B&N is very, very weak in the Eberron novel department. Any recommendations on the best Eberron triology or trilogies?

Thanks again.

Blizzardb

First Post
Firstly, this has been a hugely helpful thread to me. I have been out of D&D since 2nd Edition and, having come back for 4th, I've found Eberron to be a really cool setting. Unfortunately the Player's Guide provides diddly for campaign background, so I've bought a few of the older books for the fluff. Using this thread as a guide I've picked up the Campaign Guide, Secrets of Sarlona/Xendrik and City of Towers. I may pick up Stormreach and another book or two once I get through those, but it's a lot of reading!

That being said, I'm looking for you to guide me on the right direction as far as the novels are concerned. A few years ago my friend bought me the first Heirs of Ash book, as we are oldschool L5R fans and love Rich Wulf. I'm about halfway through it and have found it relatively enjoyable. A trip to Barnes & Noble netted me Queen of Stone and Storm Dragon, but in order to get the second or third book in any of the above trilogies (aside from QoS of course) I'll have to head back to Amazon, as B&N is very, very weak in the Eberron novel department. Any recommendations on the best Eberron triology or trilogies?

Thanks again.

Aside for Queen of Stone, that you already have, I recommend the earlier trilogy of Keith Baker (The Dreaming Dark) and everything by Don Bassingthwaite (Heirs of Dhakaan, The Dragon below). Also, the collection of short tales "Tales of the Last War" ain't half bad. Everything else is so-so, in my opinion.

Rechan

Adventurer
The second book after Queen of Stone isn't out yet, so don't have to worry about that just yet. :)

I didn't care for Keith Baker's novels. I only read the first one - City of Towers - but it was only so-so, in my opinion. As far as Eberron information, it's great, but I felt the writing was flat. However, the index in the back is full of Eberron-related info in brief, easy to digest chunks; I'd hand that to anyone you're trying to introduce to the setting.

The Night of Long Shadows I enjoyed immensely. Not only is the story rather nice, but the novel is practically a tour guide through Sharn. The Author did his homework. It is, however, a stand-alone novel.

The Binding Stone is not bad, not bad at all. I enjoyed it, but didn't read the rest of the Dragon Below series.

Also I have heard nice things about the Heirs of Ash books

Last edited:

Remove ads