• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] Best Sourcebook?

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I like Keith Baker's Dreaming Dark trilogy - though it must be said that each book he's written has been better and more polished than the last, so after reading Queen of Stone you may find City of Towers a little rough. Still, Keith has the benefit of having invented the setting, and his focus on three Cyran veterans is a good angle on the world.

Don Bassingthwaite's Dragon Below trilogy - The Binding Stone, The Grieving Tree, The Killing Song - is excellent. He puts a lot of thought into the cultures involved in his stories, clearly "gets" Eberron in a way that few authors do, and I personally like the fact that he focuses on some of the "less civilised" areas and peoples of the world. Some of his characters continue in The Doom of Kings, the first novel in a new trilogy (Heirs of Dhakaan, I think, which should tell you what it's about).

Rich Wulf is also good, although in my opinion more because he's got colourful characters and a vivid writing style than because it particularly feels like an Eberron story. That said, some touches are definitely perfect.

James Wyatt's hardcover trilogy is a big, epic story unlike anything any other writer is telling, but I enjoy it - and his standalone novel in the War Torn series, In The Claws of the Tiger, is actually really fun. His interest in the religions of Eberron really shows through.

You could do worse than pick up Tales of the Last War, a short story anthology. There are several stories in there tied to trilogies or standalone novels in the War Torn series - they'll give you a hint of whether or not you'll enjoy the longer stories, I think. I especially like James Wyatt's and Keith Baker's stories, which are prequels to In The Claws of the Tiger and the Dreaming Dark respectively.

Klaus

First Post
And you should do it soon, if you're gonna. Wizards just informed us that it's one of the books that will soon be going out of print, so the current batch on shelves is the last one.
Wow, thanks for the heads-up!

Quick, Robin, to the Amazon-mobile!

Remove ads