D&D 5E Eberron Homebrew Thread!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, Rising and Wayfinders are bringing us quite a lot of Eberron mechanics, and I appreciate the heck outta that.

But we still don’t have Gnolls, Archery Paladins (Thrane!), a subclass for something like the Argentum, something for self-forged, Seeker (BoV) Paladins, etc.

So what homebrew do y’all use for Eberron?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't know if you would consider them one and the same (since I don't know how you view Seekers), but Morgrave's Miscellany on the DMs Guild does include an Oath of Sacrament paladin subclass for adherents of the Blood of Vol. I have one running in one of my games currently as a matter of fact.

MarkB

Legend
Two homebrew items I've introduced for the players' current venture into the Mournland:

Living Spells
Similar to the Wild Magic check, players (and the DM) roll a d20 when casting a spell. On a natural 1, the spell still takes effect normally on the caster's turn, but then becomes a Living Spell. In certain areas of the Mournland, spells may come alive more easily, extending the range to 1-2 or even 1-3.

Living Spells are creatures formed of coalesced magic, generally visible as either a manifestation of the spell's normal effect or a swirling clump of magical energy. They use the caster's spellcasting ability modifier as their bonus to all saves and ability checks, and have hit points equal to 1d6 plus caster's ability modifier per spell level (cantrips only get the modifier, minimum 1).

The only action a Living Spell can take is to re-cast or maintain their spell effect. They do so at their own whim - their nature is capricious, bordering on malevolent, though they're generally not very smart.

Living Magic Items
If spells can come alive in the Mournland, why not other magical effects, such as magic items? Living Magic Items act as Animated Objects, using the nearest equivalent object in the Monster Manual - so a weapon would act similarly to an Animated Sword, and a cloak or other garment might act like a Rug of Smothering.

Additionally, they can make use of their innate magical properties. So an animated Mace of Disruption would use the mace's damage and special effects, and an animated wand could fire its spell. An animated magical armour or shield would gain the item's defensive bonuses.

In the encounter I ran with these I used an animated +1 sword, shield and suit of chainmail, and an animated wand of web. The first three pretty much followed their counterparts in the Monster Manual, with the twist that their deceased former owner started out still holding them, so gave the appearance of actually being an undead opponent.

The wand used the Animated Sword stats, but could also cast Web periodically. I gave it a recharge roll similar to a dragon's breath weapon, and on the intervening turns it would try to smack people in the head.

As I ran it, there was no way to 'redeem' a living magic item - the only way to 'kill' them would be to destroy the item. If you wanted to give your players the option of turning them back into a regular item, probably a good way would be to find some means of containing the item, then taking it outside the Mournland and casting Dispel Magic on it.

Tallifer

Hero
My homebrew additions to my campaign in Eberron thus far include an underground town of Cookie Gnomes working with Mushroom Men, a Pumpkin Spice Dragon (connected with important Draconic Prophecy obviously) and a Clothforged Knight. My first campaign centred around a Seven-Realm-Conjunction Mark of Prophecy culminating in a ritual prophetic stew. My second side-campaign revolves around tracking down and ritually subduing a Living Spell of Polymorph which travels the countryside randomly mutating creatures.
sarina-brewer2.jpg

doctorbadwolf

I don't know if you would consider them one and the same (since I don't know how you view Seekers), but Morgrave's Miscellany on the DMs Guild does include an Oath of Sacrament paladin subclass for adherents of the Blood of Vol. I have one running in one of my games currently as a matter of fact.

What are the basic mechanics?

From what I’ve read, the miscellany has a lot of oddball mechanics and I’m just not sure how much I wanna deviate from the normal type of mechanics present in 5e.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So, Rising and Wayfinders are bringing us quite a lot of Eberron mechanics, and I appreciate the heck outta that.

But we still don’t have Gnolls, Archery Paladins (Thrane!), a subclass for something like the Argentum, something for self-forged, Seeker (BoV) Paladins, etc.

So what homebrew do y’all use for Eberron?

I run nearly exclusively in Eberron. Even working to convert Descent into Avernus for Eberron. But I don't think every concept in Eberron requires unique mechanics.

Gnolls can easily be another race reskinned as a gnoll. Archfey Paladins could be Oath of the Ancients (though your mention of Thrane makes me think you meant Silver Flame Paladins? Which Oath of Devotion would fit well). The Argentum members could easily be fighters or rogues with the acolyte background. You could reskin warforged mechanics and call yourself a human self-forged. Seeker Paladins could conceivably be any paladin oath, though Oathbreaker or Conquest might work best.

That's not to trash people who do make unique mechanics or want unique mechanics for all these things. Every table has their own kind of fun. But for me, it's not necessary to reinvent the wheel. In fact, if each concept gets their own unique mechanics, then 5e may start to more resemble 3.5 with all the mechanics bloat.

What are the basic mechanics?

From what I’ve read, the miscellany has a lot of oddball mechanics and I’m just not sure how much I wanna deviate from the normal type of mechanics present in 5e.
Not sure if piracy, paraphrasing the features, if this isn't allowed I'll take it down

Oath of Sacrament
Oath Spells:
Level 3: false life, zephyr strike
Level 5: alter self, enhance ability
Level 9: feign death, vampiric touch
Level 13: death ward, sickening radiance
Level 17: anti-life shell, enervation

Channel Divinity (Level 3):
  • Sacrament of Blood: sacrifice a number of hit dice up to your proficiency bonus and roll them. Living creatures within 30 feet of you regain HP equal to the total, while Undead take force damage of that same number.
  • Turn the Suffering: when you use this Channel Divinity while making a saving throw to end a spell effect on yourself, each creature within 10 feet of you must make that same saving throw or have that same spell effect inflicted on them. The transferred spell lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, though each affected creature can make a saving throw at the end of their turns to end the spell effect.
Aura of Inner Strength (Level 7): creatures within 10 feet of you can add your Charisma modifier to Strength and Constitution ability checks. Increases to 30 feet at Level 18.

Godless Dogma (Level 15): resistance to radiant and necrotic damage, double your proficiency bonus for saving throws that deal radiant or necrotic.

Absolution (Level 20): when casting a spell that heals or deals damage to a single creature, you can sacrifice a number of hit dice up to half your proficiency bonus. Roll them, and add the total to the healing or damage.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

We have very different outlooks on both game mechanics and aspects of Eberron, @Hawk Diesel !

Also, it was an archer Paladin, not an archfey Paladin. That’s gonna benefit strongly from a purpose built subclass or some kind of variant feature.

As for Gnolls...just no. If that sort of thing works for you, cool. For no one in my group would that work. Same the self forged. There’s no point (for us) in saying I’m playing a gnome with warforged prosthetics if the mechanics are just...a warforged.

Lastly, the Seeker Paladin. This is where we diverge the most, I think. My understanding of the Blood of Vol tells me that only an Emerald Claw Paladin or other evil Seeker would be likely to be an Oathbreaker or Conquest Paladin. Other Seeker Paladins would believe deeply in community, only killing when its justified because there’s nothing after this life, etc. (Crown and Devotion are good picks here)
A Seeker Oath that isn’t supported at all is the Oath of The Death Knight, which would gain some necromancy, and perhaps a Turn ability that turns enemy undead against the Paladin’s enemies.

But mostly, in a game with a lot of distinct mechanics that make distinctions between different thematic concepts manifest mechanically, I don’t especially see the point of reflavoring half-orcs to be Gnolls, or The like.

doctorbadwolf

Not sure if piracy, paraphrasing the features, if this isn't allowed I'll take it down

Oath of Sacrament
Oath Spells:
Level 3: false life, zephyr strike
Level 5: alter self, enhance ability
Level 9: feign death, vampiric touch
Level 13: death ward, sickening radiance
Level 17: anti-life shell, enervation

Channel Divinity (Level 3):
  • Sacrament of Blood: sacrifice a number of hit dice up to your proficiency bonus and roll them. Living creatures within 30 feet of you regain HP equal to the total, while Undead take force damage of that same number.
  • Turn the Suffering: when you use this Channel Divinity while making a saving throw to end a spell effect on yourself, each creature within 10 feet of you must make that same saving throw or have that same spell effect inflicted on them. The transferred spell lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, though each affected creature can make a saving throw at the end of their turns to end the spell effect.
Aura of Inner Strength (Level 7): creatures within 10 feet of you can add your Charisma modifier to Strength and Constitution ability checks. Increases to 30 feet at Level 18.

Godless Dogma (Level 15): resistance to radiant and necrotic damage, double your proficiency bonus for saving throws that deal radiant or necrotic.

Absolution (Level 20): when casting a spell that heals or deals damage to a single creature, you can sacrifice a number of hit dice up to half your proficiency bonus. Roll them, and add the total to the healing or damage.
That’s pretty wild! I like it for the most part. I’d still want an additional option for a Death Knight, bc Eberron is very rare in its inclusion of potentially Good aligned necromancer Paladins, but for a General Seeker Paladin, that works well.

Remove ads