Eberron in the Great Wheel cosmology AND Eberronspace

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, Eberron can be shoved into the great wheel as easily as anything else. Some of it might be a little bit wonky in terms of 'home realms,' because things like the Silver Flame aren't exactly personified very much, and so don't really have areas that it would 'live' in, so to speak. But to match it up:

The Gods
The Silver Flame is hard, but could easily be, say, a particular region in Celestia of sentient, silvery luminescence.

Arawai might have a realm of rolling fields on Elysium, a secure field tended by halflings on Bytopia, or a great land of giant vegetables and great fertility in the Beastlands. Personally, I kinda like the idea of the latter. :)

Aureon Prolly has a nice little home in Arcadia, a quaint local library for the planar suburbia, if you will.

Balinor is a pretty hardcore Outlands kinda guy. If you use the Neutral Planes, though, Pangea is a great place for him.

Boldrei seems pretty hardcore Arcadia, esepecially with her marriage to Aureon. They've probably got a nice little place there.

Dol Arrah is straight up Celestia. Got a nice little sunrise palace there.

Dol Dorn seems pretty classic Ysgard. A hall of never-ending battle suits this Kord-rip-off just fine. ;)

Kol Korran seems quite Outlands as well. I'm sure a lot of the bigger trading villages have more than a few temples to this guy, and his home is probably a well-traveled route.

Olladra seems classic Elysium, though Bytopia wouldn't be out of her league. A nice little hall for gamblers and rogues on a non-chaotic plane. :)

Onatar seems a nice match for Bytopia, having his forge in the highest mountains there.

The Devourer would make for an interesting aquatic layer of Hades, much like an evil counterpart to Elysium's aquatic layer.

The Fury seems like a self-contained cage in Carceri could be a good home...

The Keeper seems classic Hades, but could also find a place in Gehenna, giving that place a Realm of the Dead.

The Mockery feels like he would fit best in Gehenna, with the hideous ugliness and the trechary

The Shadow seems a great match for the Abyss, but I'd stick him in Pandamonium, perhaps, because less goes on there, or in the CE neutral plane whose name I forgit.

The Traveler would be right at home in Limbo, walking an ever-shifting realm.

The Blood of Vol is quite connected to the world, though Gehenna or Baator would suit the 'birthplace of necromancy' (where Vol got her power, though not where she spends her time) just fine.

The Cults of the Dragon Below are also connected to the world, but Pandemonium suits the caverns and madness feel just fine, and this could be where the power of the cults comes from.

The Path of Light is a good Mechanus deity who isn't an automoton, and is likely just that: sentient purplish light, or crystals.

The Undying Court are a perfect fit in Avalon (the NG neutral plane), but also comfortably sit in Elysium propper, a great necropolis of Good.
-----------
The Planes of Existence
Eberron's "moons" strike me as potential places for planar portals. Fortunately, Eberron's planes are quite generic, and so match up to existing planes very well.

Daanvi is Arcadia

Dal Quor fits the Ethereal, the place in 2e most strongly associated with dreams. The 'formless void' = the 'roiling mist' of the Ether. You'd have to think of a good reason why it's 'distant,' but that's not really too hard. Otherwise, the Astral or the Shadow plane all work equally well.

Dolurrh is Hades. It's the only place the souls go after death, for some reason...but it's not nessecariy evil, probably because not everyone who goes there is evil. It could also be a place on the Negative Energy Plane that is less deadly.

Fernia is likely a realm on the Elemental Plane of Fire that has a particular concentration of evil, or may be a slightly evil volcanic region in the Outlands, near the lower part of the ring.

Irian is likely an area of the Positive Energy Plane that doesn't kill things all the time. ;) It could also be a particularly benficent area of Elysium.

Kythri is Limbo.

Lamannia has many fits. It is probably best as a region of Arborea, with the raw nature angle, but it could also be the Beastlands, or even Elysium. In any case, it'd be less alignment-focused.

Mabar seems perfect as a less dangerous area of Negative Energy, but it could easily fit in Hades or Pandemonium, too.

Risia is just like the border between Water and Air: Ice. It's a bit evil, so it would work as a cold realm of Hades, an arcitic point in the Outlands, or even just a point along the cold volcano of Gehenna.

Shavarath sounds perfect as a place on the Outlands where archons clash with demons and devils.

Syrania Is elemental air, but with a strong tendancy of Good, and so it could be, say, the sky above Elysium as well.

Thelanis is probably a section of Arborea where the arcane magic of the elves is particularly strong.

Xoriat basically equals the oft-heard-about Far Realm ("Ordial Plane").

There ya go, a pretty picture perfect shoehorn. That'll teach those Primes to think that they're at the center of everything. ;)

dead

Explorer
Kamikaze Midget said:
There ya go, a pretty picture perfect shoehorn. That'll teach those Primes to think that they're at the center of everything. ;)

Wow! You managed to slip Eberron into the Great Wheel as easy as a greased ground hog. :D

Too bad for Krynn. Many of its dangly bits are still hanging out. :(

dead said:
Sound fun to me. :)

That leads me to another question. Is Eberron "missing" any typical D&D monsters like Dragonlance is missing orcs?

The reason I ask this is because my players are constantly asking: "Why doesn't Krynn have any orcs when it would be so easy for orcs to migrate there via the Phlogiston or a planar portal?"

In fact, I'm currently considering whether or not adding orcs to Krynn will ruin its "feel" (a feel which has already been tainted by being attached to the Great Wheel, but I don't want to push it too far).
No. One of the base premises for Eberron is that it allows you to use everything from the Core rulebooks. There is not neccessary a place for everyone specified (there are a lot of monsters, after all), but none is forbidden and you can find a place for every race.

Optihut

First Post
Pants said:
Yes.
IMO, don't play Eberron if you want to insert the 'generic' gods into it. They really don't fit and their existence ruins what I think is one of the best aspects of Eberron; the gods are mysterious and their actual existence is questionable.

The way I read it, a cleric of Takhisis or of the faith of the invisible pink unicorn would have all their powers on Eberron, so I don't think there's going to be a problem inserting and introducing other faithes to Eberron, even though the respective gods might not be able to access Eberron.

Gez

First Post
Here's what I would do to shoehorn Eberron into the Great Wheel.

Eberron's thirteen planes are actually mere demiplanes (but big demiplanes) that connect the material plane of Eberron to one, or sometimes a few, of the plane of the Great Wheel. Thus they act as gateways.

That way, you can keep the planar conjunctions and all that and not have the Eberron cosmology be redundant with the Great Wheel.

Danvi is the gateway to Mechanus; Dal Quorr is the gateway toward the region of dream; Dolurrh is a gateway to the Negative Energy Plane (and maybe the Gray Waste); Fernia links -- of course -- to the Elemental Plane of Fire; Irian links to the Positive EP (and maybe Elysium as well); Kythri: Limbo, Lamannia: Arborea, Beastland, and Bytopia; Mabar: Grey Waste, Gehenna; Risia: Elemental Planes of Air and Water, maybe Stygia and Cania from the Nine Hells; Shavarath: Abyss, Acheron, Arcadia, Baator, Celestia, Pandemonium, maybe Ysgard; Syrania: Celestia, Elysium; Thelanis: Arborea, Bytopia; Xoriat: The Far Realm.

Henry

Autoexreginated
dead said:
Anyway, it seems like Eberron could fit into the Great Wheel from the information at hand. I mean, look at how squished Dragonlance looks in the Great Wheel! It can't be any worse than that, can it?

Dragonlance may well be one of the strongest reasons for the Manual of the Planes 3E doing away with the Great Wheel. There's the Abyss, and Reorx's Forge, and the home of the good gods, and... that's about it, I think.

As for Eberron, my suggestions would be to place the 13 Eberron Planes as demiplanes of the Ethereal (that way you keep the planes but remove having to shoehorn them into the great wheel. Then, either remove or restrict Eberron's connection to the astral. For Spelljamming, it's your choice to whether you want to leave it wide open, or close the crystal sphere like they did in Dark Sun.

For Gods, I suggest you leave the gods' interference TOTALLY outside of the Eberron Plane, and have it be a unique property of the Prime Material that all divine magic is faith-based - in other words, your visiting FR and greyhawk priests don't lose their spells, because hey, THEY have faith in their gods, right? And that way you eliminate any pesky situations like Dol Arrah, or Dol Dorn manifesting themselves, and you do away with the need for Correllon, Yondalla, Moradin, and all that crowd.

Pants

First Post
Optihut said:
The way I read it, a cleric of Takhisis or of the faith of the invisible pink unicorn would have all their powers on Eberron, so I don't think there's going to be a problem inserting and introducing other faithes to Eberron, even though the respective gods might not be able to access Eberron.
Well, you COULD do it, but, flavor-wise, I don't personally think that it would work that well.

dead said:
I was comtemplating buying Eberron but it will have to fit within my Great Wheel cosmology which has Oerth, Toril, and Krynn using the SAME Outer Planes (ie. how it was back in 1E/2E).

Also, Eberron will have to fit within my Spelljammer cosmology (ie. the Prime Material Plane is made up of the Phlogiston with many Crystal Spheres [each encasing a campaign setting] bobbing about in it).

If you're using a Spelljammer type set-up, just say that the "planes" described in the Eberron CSB are actually the other planets in "Eberronspace".

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Wow! You managed to slip Eberron into the Great Wheel as easy as a greased ground hog.
It helps that the powers not based on the world itself (Silver Flame, The Light, The Undying Court) are pretty generic. They're a different kind of generic (Fire bad?!), but pretty generic all the same. :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
dead said:
Sound fun to me. :)

That leads me to another question. Is Eberron "missing" any typical D&D monsters like Dragonlance is missing orcs?

The reason I ask this is because my players are constantly asking: "Why doesn't Krynn have any orcs when it would be so easy for orcs to migrate there via the Phlogiston or a planar portal?"

In fact, I'm currently considering whether or not adding orcs to Krynn will ruin its "feel" (a feel which has already been tainted by being attached to the Great Wheel, but I don't want to push it too far).

I helped Trampas Whiteman write an answer to this for the official SJ website, but the document seems to have since been lost. :(

Remove ads