D&D 5E Eberron: Rising from the Last War Previews

Fantasy Grounds has posted a preview of the official virtual tabletop package for the upcoming Eberron setting book. It gives a great sense of the content and art style to be found in the hardcover.

Fantasy Grounds has posted a preview of the official virtual tabletop package for the upcoming Eberron setting book. It gives a great sense of the content and art style to be found in the hardcover.

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 19.51.58.png

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 19.53.00.png

Screenshot 2019-09-26 at 19.52.31.png

D&D Eberron: Rising From The Last War
Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign sourcebook for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron--a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age, or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer--the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player's Handbook.
  • Enter the world of Eberron in a 1st-level adventure set in Sharn, the City of Towers
  • Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of train cars, battle-scarred fortresses, and fallen warforged colossi.
  • Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and intrigue and a crossroads for the world's war-ravaged peoples.
  • Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron--a background for your whole party.
  • Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player's Handbook.
  • Confront horrific monsters born from the world's devastating wars.
  • Prepare to venture into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.
Click through for more screenshots.

Yikes! That PF halfling has arms like an ape. Is that typical of PF halflings?
See that halfling tavern girl is great at service. Brilliant at service with those arms. She gives new meaning to the words Happy Hour.
With the other halfling what you do not want as a bard let alone an adventurer is to be hideous and rotund.

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
From my "old school" aesthetic, I think that the new Halflings look weird. The dancing bard above looks completely out of proportion. My favorite interpretation of "Halfling proportions" was created by Jeff Dee in 1981:

jeff-dee-halfling.jpg

Yup. They look like athletic Hobbits (please don't tell the Tolkien estate).

Perun

Mushroom
No accounting for tastes, I suppose? I like the 5E Halflings, personally, and I appreciate the low-buckle count.

Before you said halfling, I was certain the alchemist was a dwarf... based on the new cover image, I thought Eberron halflings would be more proportional.

[Edit: You already covered the dwarwishness of the alleged halfling... mental note to self: don't post before you read the whole thread]

I don't mind the canon lore because I create my own worlds.

About the firearms vs magic there is an arm race between players and DM, creating tricks against gunfighters, for example a piece of ectoplasm to block canons or to water gunpowder, or illusory magic to create the equivalent to smoke grenades, or masks one the enemies' eyes to blind them. It breaks the balance of power because magic wands are more expensive, and that is very important in the battlefield (or you are trying to create a real-time-strategy videogame based in D&D). An option could be to use "bulletproof" creatures as constructs or undeads, or some fey werebeast with regenerative powers. Have you thought about a campaign where the PCs are a primitive tribe lik na'vis (James Cameron's Avatar) or ewoks (Return of the Jedi) and the enemies are from a more advanced civilization with firearms...(and maybe steampunk technology)?

Let's imagine a simple level 1 goblin with only an axe and a shield. And now this monster with the same stats, but with a sniper rifle from the top of a tree. Should he to be the same value of challenging rating when the half group of PCs are bad in ranged attack?

Sometimes I wonder about a warmage (3.5 class from the Complete Arcane) in a world what has started to use gunpowder in the battlefield. How would he survive as a mercenary against musketeers?

Halflings: In my games they look exactly like small adult humans, apart from the distribution of body hair.
Gnomes: look alien, with huge bulbus noses and large pointed ears. Their hands and feat are also disproportionately large.

The Eberron "gun": If you look closely you can see that it is actually a wand, which the artist has stylised to fit a western gunfighter aesthetic.

Remove ads

Remove ads