Eberron Savage Worlds, WotC Fan content but licensed Pinnacle Ent.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It’s been in the works for a while now, and Kristian Serrano is friends with Keith, and says that he checked in with wotc before making the announcement. 🤷‍♂️

darjr

I crit!
Kristian, to my knowledge, is someone who often collaborates with Keith Baker. I would be extremely shocked if he intentionally published something that was not on the up-and-up.

It’s been in the works for a while now, and Kristian Serrano is friends with Keith, and says that he checked in with wotc before making the announcement. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for that!

Looking forward to it.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Not to be a cynic, but I can't believe for one second that WOTC would let this fly. Maybe "checked in and got no response, so let's do this!" but I just can't envision a world in which WOTC would allow this without contracts, and in those contracts, stipulate some very specific language that we're not seeing in these social media posts, at least.

I really hate being this way, and I hope to be proved wrong. ::fingers crossed::

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not to be a cynic, but I can't believe for one second that WOTC would let this fly. Maybe "checked in and got no response, so let's do this!" but I just can't envision a world in which WOTC would allow this without contracts, and in those contracts, stipulate some very specific language that we're not seeing in these social media posts, at least.

I really hate being this way, and I hope to be proved wrong. ::fingers crossed::
I think it’s absurd to think Serrano and whoever he is collaborating with are abject fools with less than half a brain cellbetween them. 🤷‍♂️

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Exactly. The fan content policy is pretty clear. This project explicitly violates at least two of those stipulations. It's absolutely possible that WotC has actually given this project the go ahead. No sure why they would. It's not about the people involved being fools, it's about violating the fan policy and WotC has given no indication they're cool with projects violating that policy nor in waiving their policy for specific projects.

Don’t use Wizards’ logos and trademarks. We’ve included a list of our most frequently asked-about trademarks in the FAQ;

Don’t use Wizards’ IP in other games. This includes your own or other people’s games or game components (e.g., rule books, tokens, figures), regardless of whether it is distributed for free;

Eberron is a trademark of WotC. Savage Worlds in another game. This project literally depends on violating both those clauses of the fan policy. Again, it's absolutely possible that WotC has given them permission or decided to not enforce or waive their own policy for this project. But that's something you get in writing to show a judge to prevent the lawyers from suing you into oblivion.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
I think it’s absurd to think Serrano and whoever he is collaborating with are abject fools with less than half a brain cellbetween them. 🤷‍♂️
I certainly don't assume they are fools. I do, however, assume people don't understand all of the possible consequences of the legal text of licenses, especially when trying to combine two different licenses to make something they can charge money for.

The number of times I've seen the OGL or Creative Commons incorrectly used or applied (by big name publishers and authors, no less) is beyond count, and those are the easier ones.

I just checked Keith's twitter (@HellcowKeith) and notably that retweet is no longer appearing. Might have been an automated or accidental "Retweet this because it says Eberron" situation. It ain't there now, though, so let the reading between the lines commence in earnest!
Not that it matters, but the retweet is still there. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 3.57.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 3.57.42 PM.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 37

That said, if there are any additional requirements or requests from WotC, we will readily comply.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases