D&D 5E EB's Curse of Strahd IC (Year One)

EarlyBird

Explorer
Digger slightly (only slightly) relaxes as he sense no undeath in the area. Folding his arms he waits for Halo to pry whatever information she can from the woman.

Irena walks to the top of the steps and gives the grieving mother a curious look. Seeing nothing amiss she turns her remarkable skills towards the room, trying to get a feel for what is going on.

Tilly stays close to her father and always behind him, to be out of the way just as she was taught. Josiah sees nothing amiss in the room, so cocks his head to listen to the conversation above.

Mad Mary.jpg Rubbing her eyes and wiping her nose, the distraught woman keeps back a few sobs as she speaks. "I tried. I tried so hard to protect her. I told her this land is evil. That monsters lurk everywhere and like nothing better than to eat little girls. But she didn't listen, she didn't want to stay. I did all this to protect her, but still she ran away."

Then it hits everyone like an open book telling them the answer. This woman boarded up her own home. Keep her daughter trapped in this little attic room. And was to scared of what lay beyond her door to go out looking for her, herself.

hero4hire

Explorer
Digger fought an internal battle with himself. Normally returning a lost child to their parent would be a priority to someone who dedicated himself to protecting the innocent. However, returning someone to what seemed to be the prisoner of a madwoman did not sit right. So characteristically the brooding man stood silent and let his current allies parlay with the wretched woman.

EarlyBird

Explorer
The group promises the grieving mad woman that if they see her daughter they will send her home. Then they exit the home almost glad to be in the grayness of the foggy streets.

You haven't seen the sun since it first burnt away the strange mist that seemed to have brought each of you to these strange lands. But it must be early evening, so you venture towards the light you saw down the cobblestone street. Again as you walk the darkened pathways you see no one about, and most of the homes look dark and abandoned.

A single shaft of light thrusts illumination into the street, its brightness looking like a solid pillar of light in the heavy fog. Above the gaping doorway, a sign hangs precariously askew, proclaiming this to be the 'Blood of on the Vine' tavern.

Being no door on the establishment to bar your way, the group enters the brightly lit building. Inside the light is the only thing that is warm and welcoming as the barkeep never looks up or greets you, and there are only two tables with patrons at them.

The first table has three women sitting around it that stop their chat to look at the group as they enter, but then turn back to whatever it is they were discussing almost immediately. The odd thing about each of the women is they look like they may in some way be related to Mistress Eva, the fortune teller. Each is dressed like the gypsy woman, and each as the same raven black hair and sharp facial features.

The other table has one noble-bearing gentleman sitting alone near the fire. His glass of wine looks untouched and he nods in greeting as your eyes meet.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Halo returns the man's nod and cautiously eyes the women at the other table. Never one to turn down a drink, however, the dwarf makes her way to the bar and takes a seat. "Nice town ye got here," she says sarcastically. "Quite the cheery place."

hero4hire

Explorer
Digger eyed the trio of women. The resemblance was remarkable and he did not believe in coincidence. He strode purposefully to their table. "Mistress Eva." he growled, his voice reminiscent of stone on stone. "You know of her?" He said, more of an accusation then question.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EN World mobile app

EarlyBird

Explorer
The bartender grunts at Halo barely lifting his eyes from the mug he is wiping out. She has to order a drink as the man didn't seem to want to ask what she wanted or care she was sitting there. He places the mug he was cleaning under a barrel tap and fills it with a frothy dark ale. After sitting it down in front of her he grabs another mug from under the counter and proceeds to start wiping out that one as well.

As Irena approaches the man alone at the table he rises in respect, and at her question a warm smile crosses his face.

Cos_Ismark.jpg "Please, I am Ismark Kolyanovich, it is a pleasure. I would be honored if you and your friends could join me." He says holding out a chair for Irena. "Your accent is strange, you are a traveler, yes?" he asks politely, if just a bit prying as he waits on an answer.

The three women eye Digger like they would a prized bull they were thinking of purchasing. One even licks her full lips before, she realizes she is staring at the big man. The other two also blink and have to look away, before they turn back to the blood hunter and respond to his direct questions.

"Mistress Eva has not been to town in months. Who are you and what do you want..." the eldest starts to say, before one of the women puts a hand on her arm.

"Four of them." the second women states as if that explained everything. "They have the look of Mist-Wanderers. Lost and not knowing what they seek."

"Do you know what you seek, wanderer?" the third asks just as pointedly as Digger had asked after Mistress Eva.

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
Ismark looks concerned at Irena's silence and says, "I didn't mean to pry. Visitors are most welcomed here."

The barkeep refills Halo's mug after she empties it, but still doesn't offer anything other than a grunt or shrug by way of conversation.

Digger is left with more questions than he started with, and doesn't seemed to know where to start.

Last edited:

Remove ads