log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E EB's Curse of Strahd IC (Year One)

hero4hire

First Post
Digger swore a variety of oaths and stormed outside the church looking for a way to track the vampire.

OOC: Advantage if tracking or following is possible.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

EarlyBird

First Post
As the others regroup, Digger runs for doors. He burst through and starts to turn back towards the rear of the building, when out of the corner of his eye he sees movement down amongst the other buildings of the village.

Timidly a group of villagers had gathered (probably due to the noise of Josiah's pistol), but were to afraid to approach the church. One man points upwards towards the rear of the building and Digger thinks he is pointing at the vampire spawn. Turning to look the big man stops in awe at the sight before him. The fog surrounding the entire village of Barovia had thinned and allowed for the first time the sky to show through. The thick mist now parted Digger sees a mountainside rising up behind the church, perhaps a mile away, but still it towers over the village like a wall of despair. And nestled atop this grand edifice is a castle. A building of darkness, a structure built to be seen from the streets of the poor village and let them know that there is no hope, no escape from evil.

b0015e9cd18ccd39505038316bcbf4dd.jpg

Digger's heightened sense to perceive evil are overwhelmed for a moment and a cold shiver courses through his body. A delicate hand touches his arm and a warmth flows through it. Ireena steps beside the Blood Hunter following his gaze.

"Castle Ravenloft," she murmurs softly as if it explained everything. "Come. Come away," she says pulling slightly at his arm. "The creature has fled to his Master, and will bother these people no more."
 

hero4hire

First Post
Digger looks up seething at the Castle vowing internally not only to end the unlife of the escaped vampyr, but that of his Dark Master as well...But not tonight! It was a small victory, but one nonetheless, driving the undead away. Digger took some small solace in that and walked back inside the church.
 

EarlyBird

First Post
That evening the whole village of Barovia attended the burial of their former burgomaster. They stood among the gravestones of former residents or watched from the short wall of the cemetery. Halo, Irena, Joisah, and Tilly stood behind Ismark and Ireena at the head of the grave while Digger stood by a fresh mound of dug-up earth.

Father Donavich was red faced and still a bit bruised, but had regained his composer enough to give a short benediction to the Morninglord, asking for the soul of Ireena's father to return to this world soon.

After the short ceremony (no one comfortable with the castle looming), the villagers went back to their homes, and then some returned with pots of hot soup, wine, water, and blankets. A bed was found for Tilly who was soon fast asleep. Josiah tinkered throughout the night and fell asleep on the desktop, one of his pistols cradled like a pillow under him.

Halo, Irena, and Ireena shared a room in the church and tried to talk of little things in light of the horrors that the evening had brought. The Braovian native seemed a peace after the interment of her father, it was very important to her to see him properly buried alongside his dear departed wife. The spoke of the upcoming trip and what they hoped would be an uneventful road. The awkward quiet after that statement, spoke volumes about how untrue each woman believed it to be.

Digger didn't sleep, or at least it looked like he didn't that evening. The tall imposing figure of Digger could be seen standing watch by the doors to the church throughout the night. The Silver Spade held before him, head in the dirt and hands resting atop the haft. The broad brimmed hat hid his eyes and unless you got close enough to look up under it (and no one was willing to get that close), you would see his eyes closed as he slightly dozed. The huge man had learned to sleep standing up long ago, especially during long and boring sermons as he waited to refill a grave.

In the morning the group is standing before the church, Ireena giving Ismark a tearful goodbye. The young noble spoke with many in the village throughout the night until it was decided that he should take his father's place and lead the village. Torn between his duty to the people of Barovia and his wish to keep his sister safe, it was a tough decision. Ismark believed that the group could protect Ireena and get her safely to Vallaki. "Stick to the road and you should be there in six to seven hours." he was saying over his shoulder as he still held his sister tight.

"Be safe." He whispered in her ear, but you catch the soft words. "They are here to stop Him. They are the hope you have prayed for."

Clouds block out the morning sun, but you have enough dull light to start out on the next part of your mysterious journey.

OOC:
Josiah only had enough time to tinker on one pistol, and can finish the other when the group reaches Vallaki.
Marching order for traveling down the road along with a few Perception rolls. Let's say two from everyone please.
And roll a Survival checks as well. Checking the traffic along the road.
 




EarlyBird

First Post
The road is nothing more than a barren stretch of earth that has seen many feet and hooves, and many many more wagon wheels. The ruts overlap and it is hard to tell how old they are, but none have passed this way in at least a day or two. You cross the Ivlis River by a small plain stone bridge. The sun is muted by the permanent gray clouds that don't seem to move across the sky.

OOC: Random Encounter Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
 

EarlyBird

First Post
gallows.jpg

An old wooden gallows creaks in a chill wind that blows down from the high ground to the west. A frayed length of rope dances from its beam. The well-worn road splits here, and a signpost opposite the gallows points off in three directions: BAROVIA VILLAGE to the east, TSER Pool to the northwest, and RAVENLOFT/VALLAKI to the southwest. The northwest fork slants down and disappears into the trees, while the southwest fork clings to an upward slope. Across from the gallows, a low wall, crumbling in places, partially encloses a small plot of graves shrouded in a thin fog.

Standing clear of the gallows and near the crossroads Ireena says. Ireena.jpg "I'm sorry I don't know much about these roads. I have never made this trip. We should just trust to the signs to lead us to Vallaki."

Irena who has been sketching the whole time the group has been moving looks up and says, "No trouble, I have a map started we won't become lost."

[sblock=Map]
Map_2.jpg[/sblock]

OOC: Group choice on direction.
 


hero4hire

First Post
Digger trusted little in these lands. However, there seemed little choice but to follow the signs. The other choice would be to blindly wander. Given these choices the Tall Man just grunted in affirmation.
 

EarlyBird

First Post
The group leaves the crossroads and heads towards the base of the mountain, following the road.

OOC:
Random Encounters
Hour 2:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Hour 3:
[roll2]
[roll3]
 

EarlyBird

First Post
The road slowly climbs up and up until it reaches a fantastic view of the area.

You follow the dirt road as it clings to the side of a mountain and ends before an arching bridge of mold encrusted stone that spans a natural chasm. Gargoyles cloaked in black moss perch on the corners of the bridge, their frowns weatherworn. On the mountainous side of the bridge, a waterfall spills into a misty pool nearly a thousand feet below. The pool feeds a river that meanders into the fog-shrouded pines that blanket the valley.

"Oh my," Irena says filling out her map and pointing to the east. "I think that is Tser Pool, and that path would have been a short cut."

[sblock=Map]
PC-Map.jpg[/sblock]
 


EarlyBird

First Post
OOC: No not at all. You are 3 hours out from Barovia, and you left around 7:30 am, so it is about 10:30am

You should reach Vallaki between 1-2pm this same day.
 


EarlyBird

First Post
OOC: [roll0]
Wow an encounter lol. 13 on chart


The land is home to many wolves, their howls at the moment aren't close for combat, but you know they have your scent.

OOC: A special prep round, before combat begins.
 
Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Josiah makes sure his guns are loaded, and draws one in each hand. He then aims his snubnosed pistol and prepares to fire at the first wolf he sees.

OOC: Ready an Action: fire at first wold he sees.

[roll0]
[roll1]
 



Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top