• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ecology of the Hengeyokai (+ New Race Option!)

Obryn

Hero
I love it. I think it's a great new flavorful race.

But really, is there any reason NOT to choose a Sparrow as your alternate form? :) I mean, Fly at-will - even if you can't attack during it - is a huge out of combat benefit. I love it.

-O

frankthedm

First Post
Play as a furry?
Yes, it certainly looks like that was the target demographic with this article.

404_hengeyokai.jpg
:hmm:

It really is quite good. Honestly I'd say for people that would like to play other variations of animals, just go for it. The design really supports that because ALL you need to come up with is a movement effect for your animal. And frankly there aren't going to be very many more options before they're redundant anyway. Every bird flies, every fish swims, etc. Now, maybe someone will someday come up with feats or something for certain animal forms, but since it is all DDI material, it can just go on up there and otherwise its homebrew time. Shroomy obviously can't fit vast amounts of racial support into one article. So it seems like it was exactly the right amount to leave it all open-ended and still meaningful.

Klaus

First Post
This article broadens the D&D target demographics by allowing character such as this hengeyokai (dog) slayer/Kensai:

Inuyasha111.jpg

Shroomy

Adventurer
It really is quite good. Honestly I'd say for people that would like to play other variations of animals, just go for it. The design really supports that because ALL you need to come up with is a movement effect for your animal. And frankly there aren't going to be very many more options before they're redundant anyway. Every bird flies, every fish swims, etc. Now, maybe someone will someday come up with feats or something for certain animal forms, but since it is all DDI material, it can just go on up there and otherwise its homebrew time. Shroomy obviously can't fit vast amounts of racial support into one article. So it seems like it was exactly the right amount to leave it all open-ended and still meaningful.

Yep, if included every subrace that appeared in previous editions we'd also have the following: drake, weasel, panda, tiger, lynx, owl, hawk, frog, lizard, turtle, and octopus (there may be more, I'm listing these off the top of my head).

One of the reasons why I like there being no difference mechanically between human and hybrid forms, is because the player can choose how "furry" they want their character to be. Someone who's definitely into it will only have their character in animal and hybrid form. While someone who's more adverse to it, will only have their character in animal and human form. And neither of them are going to suffer for not ever shifting in the form they excluded.

Shroomy

Adventurer
One of the reasons why I like there being no difference mechanically between human and hybrid forms, is because the player can choose how "furry" they want their character to be. Someone who's definitely into it will only have their character in animal and hybrid form. While someone who's more adverse to it, will only have their character in animal and human form. And neither of them are going to suffer for not ever shifting in the form they excluded.

Technically, you can no longer talk to animals in human form... :)

JPL

Adventurer
I love it. I think it's a great new flavorful race.

But really, is there any reason NOT to choose a Sparrow as your alternate form? :) I mean, Fly at-will - even if you can't attack during it - is a huge out of combat benefit. I love it.

-O

Goes nice with a party of pixies, too.

I might have to pitch a "Shifters of Kara-Tur" article and do that five-animals-style idea . . .

Remove ads