• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ecology Of...

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
then i have chosen well. :) after i have taken a look at some recent ecology articles to get a handle on the format, i'll try to flesh out the "goals" listed above. anyone want to push me in the right direction for that? :)

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
OK, here's what I've come up with. Let me know if there's something I should add to it, or if it's ready to go as-is. :)

Bullywug
The ecology of the bullywug would detail their role in disrupting a swamp environment, maintaining loose territorial boundaries and eating interlopers. The ordinary bullywugs hate their larger, more intelligent cousins, who organize well and conduct raids on other civilizations. We will explore the bullywugs’ declining relationship with their sleeping god, Ramenos. We will write up a racial feat that provides a special bonus to charges when hopping.
References: Monsters of Faerun, Monstrous Manual, Complete Book of Humanoids

Dryad
The ecology of the dryad will explore how these beautiful fey protect their forest and groves. Some dryads are neutral in alignment, and keep a veritable army of amorous slaves. We will present the Hamadryad, a more powerful version of the dryad with a range of druidic abilities and total mastery over her forest. We will also detail the goddess Verenestra, a goddess of the natural beauty of female faeries. We will mention the dryad’s origins in Greek mythology.
References: Monster Manual, Monstrous Manual, Dragon #87, Dragon #251

Ki-rin
The ecology of the ki-rin describes the sky-bound existence of these champions of goodness. They sometimes make lairs in locations so high they are almost impossible to reach without flying. We will present two related creatures, the T’uen-rin (an extremely powerful version of the ki-rin from Arcadia), and the Dragon Horse (a less powerful cousin of the ki-rin with no horn, from the Elemental Plane of Air. We will also detail their benevolent sky-god, Koriel. We will explain the ki-rin’s origins in the various mythologies of Asia.
References: Oriental Adventures, Monstrous Manual

Satyr
The ecology of the satyr shows how these wild merry-makers bring their sylvan homes to life. We will describe their infamous all-night-long revels, which leave mortals hung over and with lighter pockets. We will present their more powerful, chaotic cousins, the korred, whose laugh leaves humans stunned. We will detail their reveler deity, Damh, one of the gods of the Seelie Court. We will include a note on the lusty satyr’s origins in Greek and Roman mythology.
References: Monster Manual, Monstrous Manual, Dragon #155, Complete Book of Humanoids

Treant
The ecology of the treant will describe how a grove of treants tend to its old hardwood forest. We will mention how the treant’s roots can be found in Tolkien’s Ents. We will detail their relationship with the druidic Verdant Lords (from Masters of the Wild). We will mention their relation to other intelligent tree monsters such as the quickwood, black willow, hangman tree, and gakarak (and present stats for at least one of them). We will detail the Father-Tree, Emmantiensien.
References: Monster Manual, Monstrous Manual, Dragon #79, Dragon #283

Shroomy

Adventurer
I like the sound of these. BTW, there is another variant dryad from Al-Qadim, the Ashira, that you may want to include.

Mortis

First Post
Aspect of BOZ said:
Treant
...We will mention how the treant’s roots can be found in Tolkien’s Ents...

No pun intended? :D

Perhaps a Treant equivalent to the Ent Wives or will that summon the Tolkien's Lawyer squad. ;)

and gakarak
WAHAY! Mystara monster :)

Regards
Mortis

Last edited:

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
Shroomy said:
I like the sound of these. BTW, there is another variant dryad from Al-Qadim, the Ashira, that you may want to include.

good call! i could swear there are other similar creatures out there as well. will probably want to mention the oreads, for one.

Mortis said:
No pun intended? :D

very much intentional. ;)

Shade said:
Perhaps a Treant equivalent to the Ent Wives or will that summon the Tolkien's Lawyer squad. ;)

yeah... probably not a good idea. :)

Mortis said:
WAHAY! Mystara monster :)

i live to serve! there are probably other walking, talking trees out there as well. i think, for one, there are the dark trees in MoF.

well anyway, if this revision is looking good, i'd like to send it out today. :)

Gothenem

Explorer
Aspect of BOZ said:
good call! i could swear there are other similar creatures out there as well. will probably want to mention the oreads, for one.

Hmm, if you add Oreads, should you add the waterfall version Fossergrims as well?

Kafkonia

First Post
Aspect of BOZ said:
i live to serve! there are probably other walking, talking trees out there as well.

They don't walk, but there's always the evil trees from The Wizard of Oz.

Also, an ecology of the bullywug will result in at least one extra sale... hint hint...

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
don't tell me, tell them. ;)

i already came up with a bunch of ideas just from writing that blurb! read Ramenos' entry from Monster Mythology and you'll see what i mean. :)

Remove ads