D&D 5E Ed Greenwood is Contributing to A Sourcebook About Thay

Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood, along with Alex Kammer and Alan Patrick, are writing a new sourcebook about the magrocracy of Thay, known for its Red Wizards. The book will be on the DMs Guild, although there's no release date yet. They've shared some art -- a Thayan noble at the market with her two undead porters, by artist Hector Rodriguez Antunez. " Because I don't have enough to...

Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood, along with Alex Kammer and Alan Patrick, are writing a new sourcebook about the magrocracy of Thay, known for its Red Wizards. The book will be on the DMs Guild, although there's no release date yet.

They've shared some art -- a Thayan noble at the market with her two undead porters, by artist Hector Rodriguez Antunez.

thay.jpg

"
Because I don't have enough to do, did you know that I am about to release a brand new sourcebook on Thay? Yep. I am writing it with my friends Ed Greenwood and Alan Patrick. It is shaping up to be a really great book. It will enable the reader to look past the veil and into what day to day life in Thay really looks like. It will have tons of lore and an adventure which I wrote. It will be a POD product on the DM's Guild. We are in layout now so I hope to announce a date in the next 30 days or so.

Oh, here is a sample of some of the awesome art. Check out this Thayan noble at the market with her two undead porters."

R_J_K75

Legend
Hopefully this Thay one will be as good and thorough as the Border Kingdoms one was.
Ive not read the Border Kingdoms cover to cover but read parts. As Im not very familiar with the area I found it a difficult read because areas where written alphabetically and not grouped by area or political boundaries. The map is missing boundaries and is missing locations mentioned in the book. I had to have 2 monitors up one with the pdf and the second with the book.pdf open, and had to jump around the book so I understood what was going on in a certain adjacent areas. The quality of the entries is great, just the book layout is somewhat lacking IMO.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Guess that covers the revisited classic setting?
I don't think so. The Realms is the default for 5e and gets continuous support, so it really isn't a classic setting that you can re-visit(we're still visiting). I think the races from the new UA are going to be in the re-visited classic setting. Spelljammer(most likely), Planescape or both.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
When checking out the new Minsc and Boo book, I saw a new Rashemen book that had Greenwood among the co-authors. Didn't look as polished as some of the others, but with his stamp of approval, it's at least "semi-official" in my book. I'll be getting it here relatively soon to take a closer look at it.

Hopefully this Thay one will be as good and thorough as the Border Kingdoms one was.

Yeah, folks seem to like the content, but the art looks and layout doesn't look as professional as say the Border Kingdoms. This looks a step above Rashemen, as it had almost entirely B&W art, but who knows until it's released.

teitan

Legend
I don't think so. The Realms is the default for 5e and gets continuous support, so it really isn't a classic setting that you can re-visit(we're still visiting). I think the races from the new UA are going to be in the re-visited classic setting. Spelljammer(most likely), Planescape or both.
Eh it needs a book beyond the Sword Coast. That is less than a quarter of the main continent. The Dalelands, last I checked, was bigger and where most of the really iconic elements of FR come from.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I just wanna know, and at least still be alive, when WotC finally covers not only the places in Toril that needs remastered (Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Maztica, Hordelands), but also these "Unknown" places. Just give me news on that, for once!

View attachment 145267
This is off topic, but I would kill for a Poster Map of the Forgotten Realms similar to the one we got from Eberron: Rising from the Last War, with updated art to match the 5e-style. One side covering Faerun (or maybe just the Sword Coast), and the other side having a map of the world.

Remove ads

Remove ads