D&D 3E/3.5 Edition Experience - Did/Do you Play 3rd Edtion D&D? How Was/Is it?

How Did/Do You Feel About 3E/3.5E D&D?

• I'm playing it right now; I'll have to let you know later.

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I left out a piece of info

Every time ive checked its been trending upward so its increasing

The negative votes were some of the earliest

Interesting pattern
Yeah, I've noticed that for all of the editions except for OD&D: that edition has had a steady stream of positive, neutral, and negative votes since I first posted it. But for every other edition I've surveyed so far, there was a surge of negative votes for the first few hours but then the negatives start coming in a lot more slowly.

People are quicker to express their disdain than they are to express their delight, I guess?

Im thinking it may end up around 75-80
There are a lot of fond memories out there about this edition. I mean, it saved the entire hobby, for crying out loud. It gave us the OGL. It brought us Pathfinder, the d20 System, Eberron.

But there are just as many unpleasant memories about it, too. A lot of people were frustrated that the wrong things were changed, or were changed in the wrong way. For some folks (me included), it was too complicated and slow. And I voted "played it and liked it."

At 13.9%, it has more "I played it and I didn't really like it" votes than any other. More than the last four editions combined, in fact.

Last edited:

At 13.9%, it has more "I played it and I didn't really like it" votes than any other. More than the last four editions combined, in fact.
tbh im not surprised about this and actually although it being the savior edition (it really is) will probably help it out some i dont think it will all that much. It is also much beloved for other reasons. Extreme customizability for instance. No other edition comes close on that front imo. Yet, actually, the reason i think it will rise to be somewhere between 75 and 80 is actually related to the very thing you mention in the portion of your quote that i reposted. I believe a higher percentage of haters of this edition than any other (not all the ones who dislike it, just a higher percentage than the haters of other editions) essentially have the rabid sort of hate. It burns hot and bright but loses interest quickly. So the remainder that trickle in i think will actually be fewer in number. There are a lot of people who hate it more than any other edition but i think there are not actually quite as many of the slow burn haters (which are a larger portion). So i think where ass the negatives slowed to a trickle with most other editions, with this one i think it will slow to a drip.

atanakar

Hero
ot surprised about this and actually although it being the savior edition (it really is) will probably help it out some i dont think it will all that much. It is also much beloved for other reasons. Extreme customizability for instance. No other edition comes close on that front imo. Yet, actually, the reason i think it will rise to be somewhere between 75 and 80 is actually related to the very thing you mention in the portion of your quote that i reposted. I believe a higher percentage of haters of this edition than any other (not all the ones who dislike it, just a higher percentage than the haters of other editions) essentially have the rabid sort of hate. It burns hot and bright but loses interest quickly. So the remainder that trickle in i think will actually be fewer in number. There are a lot of people who hate it more than any other edition but i think there are not actually quite as many of the slow burn haters (which are a larger portion). So i think where ass the negatives slowed to a trickle with most other editions, with this one i think it will slow to a drip.

Wait until we get to 4e...

Wait until we get to 4e...
I consider the hate for 4e a completely unique animal. Its the one edition i didnt mean to include in my umbrella statement because the sources of the hate are...differently motivated in the extreme. Yes. Its also rabid, but its just...different. I do think it will benefit from a similar statistical effect.

I could write a whole page om the weirdness that happened during that edition. Not just in d&d but in table tops all around from many different angles. It was an awkward time.

3catcircus

Adventurer
I consider the hate for 4e a completely unique animal. Its the one edition i didnt mean to include in my umbrella statement because the sources of the hate are...differently motivated in the extreme. Yes. Its also rabid, but its just...different. I do think it will benefit from a similar statistical effect.

I could write a whole page om the weirdness that happened during that edition. Not just in d&d but in table tops all around from many different angles. It was an awkward time.
We just need to make sure that one of the 4e options isn't "I didn't really like it" but "my hate is to infinity."

The most resonant word I can think of when I started playing 3.0/3.5 is/was "freedom" after playing 2e as my starting point about 8 years before 3.0 came out.

My very first 3.0 character was a dwarven sorcerer. Because. I. Could!
The spirit of 3.x is basically, "if you can imagine this thing you can do it or you can get there, just dont die and just keep swimming"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases