D&D 4E Effect of critical hits on two-weapon powers

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Let me know I am still a newbie on VTT and maptools etc seem to have steep learning curves.
I think I am on Version 3 of macro implementation of the powers.
Version 1: Some players started implementing the attack and damage rolls, etc. for their characters, but far from all. Each one had implemented it a little different
Version 2: I streamlined the implementation so it worked the same for all characters, mainly making the output look and feel like the 4th Edition power text. Making it easy for everyone to see and understand each others powers, and speeding up attack and damage rolls.
Version 3: More advanced in the sense that the code allow you to select enemies, it checks if you follow the letter of the wording of the power, i.e. making it easier on me as DM to remember each power and how they works (as they players are not always reading the powers as written). It allows two modes of play: online or live. In live mode you still role the dices and feed them into the macro that calculate all bonuses, etc. Visual effects of all spells being used and automatic setting of states on enemies, etc.
Version 4: I will now start looking at a Version 4 where I start to also implement the monsters and full full handling of tracking HP, damage, resistance, etc. making it fully automized to a much higher level. Hopefully speeding up play even more, and taking away a lot of the record keeping for me as a DM.

the Jester

Legend
Since that is all under a "Hit" heading, I'd say that the critical hit rules apply to all of it. Also, is there a power you could choose at the same level that's a 2[W] power? If so, I don't even see any justification for not applying the critical rules to this- the damage is pretty much the same, right?

All that said, I think the only 4e books I have here are monster and magic item books (me being at my girlfriend's house, where I spend half my time). So I don't have the resources available to see if there's a RAW answer on this.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
No, that one I was not aware of. Will take a look and see what I can borrow. Thanks for pointing me to it

/Myrhdraak
I think I am on Version 3 of macro implementation of the powers.
Version 1: Some players started implementing the attack and damage rolls, etc. for their characters, but far from all. Each one had implemented it a little different
Version 2: I streamlined the implementation so it worked the same for all characters, mainly making the output look and feel like the 4th Edition power text. Making it easy for everyone to see and understand each others powers, and speeding up attack and damage rolls.
Version 3: More advanced in the sense that the code allow you to select enemies, it checks if you follow the letter of the wording of the power, i.e. making it easier on me as DM to remember each power and how they works (as they players are not always reading the powers as written). It allows two modes of play: online or live. In live mode you still role the dices and feed them into the macro that calculate all bonuses, etc. Visual effects of all spells being used and automatic setting of states on enemies, etc.
Version 4: I will now start looking at a Version 4 where I start to also implement the monsters and full full handling of tracking HP, damage, resistance, etc. making it fully automized to a much higher level. Hopefully speeding up play even more, and taking away a lot of the record keeping for me as a DM.
interesting.. The Macro Police Box has some extensive import functionality on its list of features. I am wondering how much you will be able to exploit/copy it.

Myrhdraak

Explorer
Since that is all under a "Hit" heading, I'd say that the critical hit rules apply to all of it. Also, is there a power you could choose at the same level that's a 2[W] power? If so, I don't even see any justification for not applying the critical rules to this- the damage is pretty much the same, right?

All that said, I think the only 4e books I have here are monster and magic item books (me being at my girlfriend's house, where I spend half my time). So I don't have the resources available to see if there's a RAW answer on this.
It is a first level At-Will Power. If you have two +2 magic items, +2 dmg would be added to both primary and off-hand weapon as well as any feat bonus like two-weapon fighting. Max damage on both dmg rolls would feel over-powered on top of this.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It is a first level At-Will Power. If you have two +2 magic items, +2 dmg would be added to both primary and off-hand weapon as well as any feat bonus like two-weapon fighting. Max damage on both dmg rolls would feel over-powered on top of this.
if one wanted a fully per RaW or even RaI ...
ok I checked in with the Optimizer and rule experts I know.
They say it is formulated oddly... but the [W]s max and you get the crit effect on the one primary target but not on the other.

They say it looks like a Barbarian Power designed to avoid double tap but use two weapons. Double tap as in not triggering weapon hit properties and attack abilities for two attacks but using two weapons anyway (my translation LOL).

the Jester

Legend
Oh, I assumed it was at least an Encounter power. Hmm. Still, I'm not sure my answer is difficult; it's all still under Hit.

Remove ads