• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effects of not sleeping?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
AuraSeer said:
Clerics don't need rest to replenish spells, they just need to wait until the appropriate time of day. So by the book, if your cleric had enough spell slots to fill up with cures and restores, you could theoretically go without sleep forever.

Frankly, if the cleric wants to keep the entire party awake through magic alone - let em.

I think the rules for forced marches work just fine for adventurers overdoing it.

Zhnov

First Post
AuraSeer,

Cool rules. What about folks who never seem to get enough sleep, although they get some? Are the just grumpy? :D

Seriously, though, do you also use these sleepless rules on faerie folk?

~Orlic

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Orlic Pazafar said:
AuraSeer,

Cool rules. What about folks who never seem to get enough sleep, although they get some? Are the just grumpy? :D

Seriously, though, do you also use these sleepless rules on faerie folk?
Grumpiness is a roleplaying concern and has no game effect. ;)

The question of faeries/fey has never come up. I'd probably just use the same set of rules, though maybe I'd let fey get by with half the normal amount of sleep (like elves do).

Drakeskull

First Post
What about this

Instead of fatigue you could just start making a fortitude save every 12 hours after 24 hours with a DC20 if failed they get a -1 penalty to ac attack and maybe some skills for the dulled senses, after every 12 hours the dc could raise by one and they have to make it again. I would cap it off at around -5 or so cause i knew some one that didnt sleep at all .........he died but he lived for several years like that. After such events 8 hours of sleep should get rid of the penalty.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
AuraSeer said:
This all is modelled on my own experiences trying to go without sleep for days at a time. (I'm a programmer, we is stupid that way. ;)) It's not medically precise or anything, but it's about as close as I could get within the rules.

It reflects my wifes experiences too, when she got in the Guiness Book of Records for longest Croquet match. They finished after about 7 days, but by that time they were all mad. My wife thought she was playing table tennis and that there were donkeys wandering over the pitch. Another friend became completely paranoid and convinced that everyone was out to get him, and silently stared the TV interviewer down when they were being interviewed at the end of the record breaking attempt.

So fatigue, exhaustion and then confusion seems incredibly apt.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Beats me where I found the rule or even if I have misinterpreted it but we play that miss one night of sleep & you are fatigued the next day. Miss the next night if sleep & you are exhausted.

No spells restore the loss of running & charging movement so it is enough of an incentive to rest - not that that is an issue.

Remove ads