D&D 5E Eldritch Knight

hejtmane

Explorer
So you feel that a 2 level dip into Wizard is worth it hejtmane? The 2nd level Arcane Ward; Portent and Sculpt spell all look really good. That said, the capstone for 20th is x3 attacks which kind of hurts while lvl 19 is ASI which is less of an issue for me to some extent. The Extra Attack x3 though does hurt a bit (although I guess will the campaign last to that level). Hmmm....
Well my ek that did that but is a dragonborn they just got to 18 and he had no qualms giving up an attack at 20 and i have one that will have the extra attack. The ek/wiz has been able to change the course of a fight; oh that creature fails his saving throw with a 2 or this team mate saves on the saving throw with that 18 i rolled. Will he give up some damage sure and he even delayed his 3rd attack a couple levels. What it comes down to is what role do you like! I seen both first hand they both work late game. Extra damage or extra control and spells.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
You know your group and the way it plays. Myself, I would never build a class around what's going t me at level 20. I think I have never thought about anything after level 11 -- things that will be with me for half my adventuring career (okay, more since higher levels go slower, but you see my point).

If fun is the goal, I would advise multi classing based on what you're getting through levels 5-10 -- that's the sweet spot for me, and where I know the character to be able to make choices that build that within the narrative of the story.

Most games I play don't go to those higher levels, but even if they did, I'd be looking at the abilities you get before level 11.

I agree Kobold Stew. More than likely I'm not going to be hitting twenty (or even 19th) and I'm with you on the 5 - 10 level range being the funnest also. I do like flexibility first vs. raw damage and with a greatsword and the SCAG cantrips, it partially offsets that anyway. It was just things that I was mulling over and I was curious as to how that plays out from those who did level an EK up higher levels. I appreciate the input!!

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Well my ek that did that but is a dragonborn they just got to 18 and he had no qualms giving up an attack at 20 and i have one that will have the extra attack. The ek/wiz has been able to change the course of a fight; oh that creature fails his saving throw with a 2 or this team mate saves on the saving throw with that 18 i rolled. Will he give up some damage sure and he even delayed his 3rd attack a couple levels. What it comes down to is what role do you like! I seen both first hand they both work late game. Extra damage or extra control and spells.

It seems whenever I run a wizard type, I always go more for control than damage. More than likely, I'll probably dip once if not twice into the Wizard class. It's now just deciding when to do it. Earlier is easier as it's quicker leveling but I'm not sure when I want to do it which is a good comment on the way multi-classing is handled now as it makes the choice tougher! Thanks for your input hejtmane!

neogod22

Explorer
Except might as while do 2 for portent your best friend in a group had a ek fo that as a DM i hated it made me born legendary actions pfft

If you're gonna do 2 lvls, you might as well do 3, so at 20 you're a lvl 9 caster and get a 5th lvl spell

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

hejtmane

Explorer
That's a good point neo. A 5th level spell would be nice. So it really should be 1 or 3 levels essentially. Hmmmm....

Note two things when you multiclass EK with Wizard go fighter 1st for con saving throw and heavy armor

Here is the way to look at it if you dip

1 lvl dip lose extra attack gain more spells
2nd lvl get up an asi/feat for Wizard 2nd level special the best ones imo are Divination or Abjuration for an ek
3rd level dip lose Improved War Magic which I like better than a 5th level spell but some pefer the 5th level spell

The best part is you have options they are valid viliable options

The level dips depends on you option take 1 fighter and dip early 2 wizard and rely on GFB and Booming Blade to fill the damage gap of delaying your second attack until 7th level and your 1st asi until 6th level. Could wait until after level 5 getting your second attack but delay 6th level asi or 7th level war magic and 8th level asi.

Looking at all that and seeing it in game play I would go 1st level fighter 2 wizard and ek rest of the way if you want that 3rd level wizard than wait until later in the build like 14+ range.

End of the day Straight EK or wizard dip 1,2 ,3 they all work and have different + and - the only thing that matters is which one you will enjoy they ar all viliable builds

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Note two things when you multiclass EK with Wizard go fighter 1st for con saving throw and heavy armor

Here is the way to look at it if you dip

1 lvl dip lose extra attack gain more spells
2nd lvl get up an asi/feat for Wizard 2nd level special the best ones imo are Divination or Abjuration for an ek
3rd level dip lose Improved War Magic which I like better than a 5th level spell but some pefer the 5th level spell

The best part is you have options they are valid viliable options

The level dips depends on you option take 1 fighter and dip early 2 wizard and rely on GFB and Booming Blade to fill the damage gap of delaying your second attack until 7th level and your 1st asi until 6th level. Could wait until after level 5 getting your second attack but delay 6th level asi or 7th level war magic and 8th level asi.

Looking at all that and seeing it in game play I would go 1st level fighter 2 wizard and ek rest of the way if you want that 3rd level wizard than wait until later in the build like 14+ range.

End of the day Straight EK or wizard dip 1,2 ,3 they all work and have different + and - the only thing that matters is which one you will enjoy they ar all viliable builds

Thanks for that hejtmane. Improved War Magic is pretty nice. Decisions, decisions. I picture this guy more as a fighter type I guess so maybe the 2 level dip would be better as "concept" goes. I did go fighter first level. He's just earned enough XP for 2nd level so now I have that choice. One thing about taking Wizard so early that may be overlooked is hit points at low levels. However, I guess getting the shield spell will help offset that some. I'm typically not much of a multi-class aficionado but I think I'll give this a go...

Remove ads