D&D 5E Eldritch Knight

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
If I do go that route, I'd potentially be losing out on Booming Blade/Green Flame Blade/Lightning Lure and Sword Burst Cantrips as they are all Evocation. The list of Transmutation would be (excluding cantrips) with the * denoting concentration:

1st lvl
Catapult
Expeditious Retreat*
Feather Fall
Jump
Longstrider

2nd lvl
Alter Self*
Darkvision
Earthbind*
Enlarge/Reduce*
Knock
Levitate*
Magic Weapon*
Maximilian's Earthen Grasp*
Pyrotechniques
Rope Trick
Skywrite*
SpiderClimb*

3rd lvl
Blink
Erupting Earth
Flame Arrows*
Fly*
Gaseous Form*
Haste*
Slow*
Water Breathing

4th Lvl
Control Water*
Elemental Bane*
Fabricate
Polymorph*
Stone Shape

I think the good ones are: 1st lvl: Expeditious Retreat/Jump/Longstrider (nothing crazy there more movement); 2nd lvl: Earthbind; Enlarge/Reduce; Levitate; Maximillion's Grasping Hand and Spider Climb may be powerful; 3rd lvl Blink; Erupting Earth; Fly; Gaseous Form; Haste and Slow are all really nice and probably where most of the issues would lie (though at this point you have fireball for evocation so maybe not so O.P.); 4th lvl: Elemental Bane and maybe Polymorph are the only two that strike me as strong. That said, as you can pick 4 spells outside the 2 schools I believe, you'd be able to get a good portion of those anyway. Hmmm....

Last edited:

Grakarg

Explorer
My current character is a human EK 12/ Wiz 2, and I'm loving him.
Started as a variant human at lvl 1 as a ftr with the 'magic adept' feat. Taking that made him feel like an EK at lvl 1 instead of waiting until lvl 3 to get spells. Adding the lvls of wizard later on really opened up my utility, and while it slowed access to higher level spells I have plenty of slots and can perform rituals.

You'll get plenty of mileage out of your build, EK's are great! Besides the other advice already given, don't forget that you are a legit 'spellcaster' with the 'spellcasting' feature. That means that all sorts of magic items are available to you that other fighters don't get. Picking up Ritual Caster later on could be good for you too, depending on your party makeup.

Nothing quite like shooting a wand of fireballs twice in a round with action surge. :)

neogod22

Explorer
I feel like if you want to use different schools of magic, then take 1 lvl of wizard. This will get rid of all the EK restrictions. You don't need more than 1 lvl unless you want to cast more spells or try and get higher levels of spells.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
My current character is a human EK 12/ Wiz 2, and I'm loving him.
Started as a variant human at lvl 1 as a ftr with the 'magic adept' feat. Taking that made him feel like an EK at lvl 1 instead of waiting until lvl 3 to get spells. Adding the lvls of wizard later on really opened up my utility, and while it slowed access to higher level spells I have plenty of slots and can perform rituals.

You'll get plenty of mileage out of your build, EK's are great! Besides the other advice already given, don't forget that you are a legit 'spellcaster' with the 'spellcasting' feature. That means that all sorts of magic items are available to you that other fighters don't get. Picking up Ritual Caster later on could be good for you too, depending on your party makeup.

Nothing quite like shooting a wand of fireballs twice in a round with action surge. :)

Thanks for that information Grakarg and that's a good point about magic items. Out of curiosity, at what levels did you take your Wizard levels? I would think after 5th level?

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
I feel like if you want to use different schools of magic, then take 1 lvl of wizard. This will get rid of all the EK restrictions. You don't need more than 1 lvl unless you want to cast more spells or try and get higher levels of spells.

Totally understand neo. I guess my look at the evocation school is that it doesn't seem to make as much 'sense' for the class as would Transmutation. However, your point is well taken that a dip into wizard would pretty much get rid of any restrictions and open everything up.

neogod22

Explorer
Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters are essentially multiclassed without having to waste levels into wizard, though a stripped down version if wizard, but enough to serve its purpose. So 1 lvl of wizard gets you the ability to cast from every school, a spellbook so you can learn more spells and ritually cast, and gives you a boost in your spell casting power [(1/3+x)x being # of wizard levels]

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters are essentially multiclassed without having to waste levels into wizard, though a stripped down version if wizard, but enough to serve its purpose. So 1 lvl of wizard gets you the ability to cast from every school, a spellbook so you can learn more spells and ritually cast, and gives you a boost in your spell casting power [(1/3+x)x being # of wizard levels]

So where do you think would be the best point to introduce that one level of Wizard? After 5th or 6th?

Remove ads