D&D 5E Eldritch Knight

Satyrn

First Post
Hi Folks,
I was thinking of playing a Dragonborn Eldritch Knight using a greatsword. I've read mixed reviews both on this subclass and this subclass with the Dragonborn. While I don't need to be overly optimized, I also don't want to be below average either (although in 5E that's probably less of a worry than in other versions of the game). I was just curious as to people's thoughts and any things to consider going this route. Thanks!!

You will not be underpowered playing a fighter no matter what your race and subclass are. Nor do you need to optimize to contribute significantly in combat.

And if you snag some social and exploration skills (Intimidate and a knowledge, say, or Persuasion and Investigate; whatever interests you) and choose some utility spells, you'll contribute effectively to the rest of the game, too.

My gnome battlemaster is a beast with an 8 Strength. His Dexterity is 16, and that'shigh enough I've never bothered increasing it. Combat is totally covered. And, he's got Animal Handling, Survival, proficiency with thieves' tools and alchemist's supplies to deal with other stuff. Well rounded, effective and a real contributer to the game with the barest amount of optimization (putting a high score in his combat stat)

If I had spells, he'd be even more versatile.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
EK is serviceable but is very much a one trick pony: Shield spell/Absorb Elements is basically all the class has going for it. On the plus side, you will be very hard to hit. On the negative side, done people think spamming the same spell over and over again is dull. That's up to you to decide.

Dragonborn are mechanically the worst race in the game, and tge competition isn't even close. The breath weapon is largely useless, they don't get Darkvision, and energy resistance is the only decent thing they get. They also don't get a Con bonus, which sucks. They do look cool though, so there is that.

Understood that the Dragonborn is not an optimized choice. My DM is giving them Darkvision as he thinks it makes sense so that isn't an issue. The +2 Str is a nice bump but unless your a Paladin, the +1 Char is a bit weak. The resistance (I took Gold so it's to fire) is pretty nice I feel. I think the breath weapon can be used strategically vs. creatures that have resistance to slash/pierce/bludgeon and maybe as a ''horde softener". I'm curious to see how they play if it's as you said, just spamming Shield/Absorb Elements. I guess I'll see how this goes...

Satyrn

First Post
Understood that the Dragonborn is not an optimized choice. My DM is giving them Darkvision as he thinks it makes sense so that isn't an issue. The +2 Str is a nice bump but unless your a Paladin, the +1 Char is a bit weak.
Heh. That gnome battlemaster I mentioned has a +2 to Intelligence - for a 14, making it my second highest score, tied with Constitution - and I have no abilities or skills that use Int except, I think, the alchemist's supplies.

neogod22

Explorer
Understood that the Dragonborn is not an optimized choice. My DM is giving them Darkvision as he thinks it makes sense so that isn't an issue. The +2 Str is a nice bump but unless your a Paladin, the +1 Char is a bit weak. The resistance (I took Gold so it's to fire) is pretty nice I feel. I think the breath weapon can be used strategically vs. creatures that have resistance to slash/pierce/bludgeon and maybe as a ''horde softener". I'm curious to see how they play if it's as you said, just spamming Shield/Absorb Elements. I guess I'll see how this goes...
In the grand scheme of things, when you have to go up 2 points in a stat to get a +1, racial bonuses don't really matter much; especially with fighters who get 7 ability kicks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

phantomK9

Explorer
Having played an Eldritch Knight to level 20, I think you are on the right path to a fun and effective character.

Mine was a Human who used a shield and long sword. As I was the only fighter (even armor wearing) character in the group I focused heavily on defense, but I sometimes wish I had gone with focusing on two-handed weapons and Great Weapon Master.

Early on I picked up the Heavy Armor Master feat which really upped my tanking. I also only picked up spells that buffed me or gave me battlefield movement and then the odd ranged spell, here and there. Being limited to just Abjuration and Evocation was the worst part of the class as it really limited the spells you could get. Once you are able to pick up Haste however, the game changes significantly.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
Having played an Eldritch Knight to level 20, I think you are on the right path to a fun and effective character.

Mine was a Human who used a shield and long sword. As I was the only fighter (even armor wearing) character in the group I focused heavily on defense, but I sometimes wish I had gone with focusing on two-handed weapons and Great Weapon Master.

Early on I picked up the Heavy Armor Master feat which really upped my tanking. I also only picked up spells that buffed me or gave me battlefield movement and then the odd ranged spell, here and there. Being limited to just Abjuration and Evocation was the worst part of the class as it really limited the spells you could get. Once you are able to pick up Haste however, the game changes significantly.

This actually sounds like my exact approach. Pick up Great Weapon Master, add Heavy Armor, pick buff and movement spells (Expeditious Retreat; Longstrider; Misty Step, Jump was a good one too etc) and maybe fireball and that's about it. That's kind of what I was thinking anyway. A big dude, with a big sword that's hard to hit and wreaking havoc moving around the battlefield - lol...

Gadget

Adventurer
As for the EK, it would have been better for them to have unhindered (well as much as EK can be said to be unhindered) access to Abjuration and Transmutation schools of spells. The Evocation school does not scale well, and with the EKs delayed access to spells, don't deliver as much bang for the buck. It also competes with the EK's main shtick for hit point attrition: hitting the thing really hard with the sharp pointy implement, as EKs are mostly fighter. Whereas the Transmutation school offers things that supplement the fighter's combat prowess like Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Spider Climb, Haste, etc.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
As for the EK, it would have been better for them to have unhindered (well as much as EK can be said to be unhindered) access to Abjuration and Transmutation schools of spells. The Evocation school does not scale well, and with the EKs delayed access to spells, don't deliver as much bang for the buck. It also competes with the EK's main shtick for hit point attrition: hitting the thing really hard with the sharp pointy implement, as EKs are mostly fighter. Whereas the Transmutation school offers things that supplement the fighter's combat prowess like Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Spider Climb, Haste, etc.

I wonder if I can convince my DM to give me access to Transmutation instead of Evocation. I agree that theme fits better really with the concept. Balance wise I don't think it should be an issue...Hmmm...

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

I totally agree with this.

guachi

Hero
In my campaign, I allowed EKs to pick one of abjuration or evocation and one other school of choice. Because I figured it would be more fun for the player.

On the other hand, I'm running the game in Mystara and only elves can be EKs and no other race can be EKs to simulate somewhat the flavor of the setting. So I figure if I'm taking choice away from elves on the one hand I'll add it somewhere else.

Remove ads