Eldritch Knights and prepared spellcasters

Philosopher

First Post
As a syllogism, it goes something like this:
1. PCs get only what is listed under their class when they level.
2. Spells known for prepared casters is not listed as something an Eldritch Knight gets when they level.
3. Therefore... they don't get it.

Sorcerers get spells known because it is specifically called out as something spontaneous casters get. Wizards aren't spontaneous casters, so it's not called out for them. We are looking for an including condition, and I don't see one. Yes, it's conditional on sorcerers. On being a sorcerer. If you're not a spontaneous caster, you can pretend that clause doesn't exist.

I'm not disagreeing with your interpretation. All I did was make an offhand comment about the actual wording of the parenthetical condition. I didn't mean it as a point of discussion. The main point I had wanted to make was that the wording was poor. Also, that I don't like the rule.

Philosopher

First Post
I get you. I wonder why, as far as I can tell, this has never been FAQ'd or (better) errata'd.

Good question. This is the first time I've heard this point come up for Pathfinder. (Then again, I don't follow many threads on the Paizo boards too frequently.) It might be that they're not aware of the issue. Have you brought this up on the Paizo boards?

pawsplay

Hero
Good question. This is the first time I've heard this point come up for Pathfinder. (Then again, I don't follow many threads on the Paizo boards too frequently.) It might be that they're not aware of the issue. Have you brought this up on the Paizo boards?

My research says yes, at least twice in the last year.

ruemere

Adventurer
Use common sense.

There are more problems with Eldritch Knights... for example, where do they record spells (if their primary class used a spellbook)? How do they get new spells at all (it does not say that they can learn spells)?

See, Wizards gain new spells by copying them into their spellbooks and by advancing a level. Sorcerers and Bards can get new spells only by advancing a level. And Eldritch Knights? Nothing about learning stuff.

Only common sense remains - and so in my campaign sorcerers can freely record spells and learn by deciphering writings.

Regards,
Ruemere

Remove ads