• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Eldritch Scythe+ maneuvers?

Langy

Explorer
I don't see the confusion? If you use the scythe you make a melee spell attack. I can't see any alternative reading.

I think the confusion might be: "I use the Attack action and use one of these maneuvers, which includes a melee weapon attack. Eldritch Scythe lets me replace a melee weapon attack with an Eldritch Scythe attack, so I do that, which makes it so the maneuver now is using a melee spell attack even though it specified it required a melee weapon attack."

Of course, if the maneuver says it "requires" a melee weapon attack that's different from how Eldritch Scythe replaces a "melee weapon attack" with a "melee spell attack"; Eldritch Scythe lets you do a melee spell attack instead of a melee weapon attack for things that let you do a melee weapon attack, but they don't make it so you can do anything that requires a melee weapon attack using a melee spell attack instead.

Sepulchre

Explorer
By RAW, any maneuver that lets you take the attack action, then allows you to replace a weapon attack with eldritch scythe. Of course, eldritch scythe is a melee spell attack, and most maneuvers only benefit weapon attacks. So the scythe won’t get any riders from the maneuver, which is often the point.

Only a few maneuvers actually require a specific weapon attack. Nothing stops a player from blowing 3 exertion to use stunning assault and attacking with a longbow, for example. The ranged weapon attacks just won’t trigger the save-or-stun effect.

Remove ads