Level Up (A5E) Eldritch Scythe+ maneuvers?

Langy

Explorer
I don't see the confusion? If you use the scythe you make a melee spell attack. I can't see any alternative reading.

I think the confusion might be: "I use the Attack action and use one of these maneuvers, which includes a melee weapon attack. Eldritch Scythe lets me replace a melee weapon attack with an Eldritch Scythe attack, so I do that, which makes it so the maneuver now is using a melee spell attack even though it specified it required a melee weapon attack."

Of course, if the maneuver says it "requires" a melee weapon attack that's different from how Eldritch Scythe replaces a "melee weapon attack" with a "melee spell attack"; Eldritch Scythe lets you do a melee spell attack instead of a melee weapon attack for things that let you do a melee weapon attack, but they don't make it so you can do anything that requires a melee weapon attack using a melee spell attack instead.

Sepulchre

Explorer
By RAW, any maneuver that lets you take the attack action, then allows you to replace a weapon attack with eldritch scythe. Of course, eldritch scythe is a melee spell attack, and most maneuvers only benefit weapon attacks. So the scythe won’t get any riders from the maneuver, which is often the point.

Only a few maneuvers actually require a specific weapon attack. Nothing stops a player from blowing 3 exertion to use stunning assault and attacking with a longbow, for example. The ranged weapon attacks just won’t trigger the save-or-stun effect.

Remove ads