Level Up (A5E) Eldritch Scythe+ maneuvers?

MehGyver

Villager
Can someone verify this for me? If I'm reading this correctly the warlocks eldritch scythe could be used with maneuvers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Eldritch scythe is a melee spell attack. Each maneuver tells you what type of action it is, if any.

MehGyver

Villager
So I read "can make a melee spell attack instead of..." Similar to the adept / monk "use dex instead of strength " (swap out but functions the same) . I take it the RAI is different then.

Thanks!

xiphumor

Legend
Can someone verify this for me? If I'm reading this correctly the warlocks eldritch scythe could be used with maneuvers.
Although there’s nothing in the rules for maneuvers in general that forbids it, most maneuvers require a melee weapon attack, and Eldritch scythe is a melee spell attack. Nearly every maneuver specifies that you need a weapon attack, although exceptions include Mugging Hit and Wheeling Charge

MehGyver

Villager
Although there’s nothing in the rules for maneuvers in general that forbids it, most maneuvers require a melee weapon attack, and Eldritch scythe is a melee spell attack. Nearly every maneuver specifies that you need a weapon attack, although exceptions include Mugging Hit and Wheeling Charge
The confusion came with the opening line of

"Once per turn when you would make a melee weapon attack as part of the Attack action or an opportunity attack, you can instead make a melee spell attack, lashing out with an ephemeral and unearthly blade."

It's close enough to go either way with interpretation, and we all have one of those players.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't see the confusion? If you use the scythe you make a melee spell attack. I can't see any alternative reading.

Deadmanshand

Explorer
The confusion came with the opening line of

"Once per turn when you would make a melee weapon attack as part of the Attack action or an opportunity attack, you can instead make a melee spell attack, lashing out with an ephemeral and unearthly blade."

It's close enough to go either way with interpretation, and we all have one of those players.
Agreed. We all have one of those players. My player swore up and down I was wrong until I highlighted the text, then whined that his character build was ruined.

Didn't the latest Gate Pass Gazette come out with a new Combat Tradition called the Eldritch Blackguard? And was it made with Warlocks in mind? curious

Guythegard

Villager
Used in hand--to--hand combat, a melee Attack allows you to Attack a foe within your reach. A melee Attack typically uses a handheld weapon such as a sword, a Warhammer, or an axe. A typical monster makes a melee Attack when it strikes with its claws, horns, teeth, Tentacles, or other body part. A few Spells also involve making a melee Attack.

Most Creatures have a 5-foot reach and can thus Attack Targets within 5 feet of them when making a melee Attack. Certain Creatures (typically those larger than Medium) have melee Attacks with a greater reach than 5 feet, as noted in their descriptions.

Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon Attack, you can use an Unarmed strike: a punch, kick, head--butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). On a hit, an Unarmed strike deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 + your Strength modifier. You are proficient with your Unarmed strikes.

from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...elee_Attacks&usg=AOvVaw1xifz1OvvVS73NSbzn0XF_

your magic weapon seems to follow all the requirements so far.

Remove ads