D&D 5E Eldritch spear + spellsniper + distant spell

IIRC there is a thing about this with temporary hit points. We all know (hopefully) they don't stack. So, if you have temporary HP from two sources, you choose (generally the greater I would assume LOL) which you want. I don't recall if it specifically says the greater, though.

Here it is: you choose in this case:
View attachment 127013
I meant a general rule, but good to know. Thanks!

Oofta

Legend
5 miles: 8.8 feet - a large creature.

Okay, good luck telling which speck is the monster and which one is the druid that just wild shaped. Assuming of course a clear day, nothing in the way and so on.

In any case, at a certain point it doesn't matter, the PC can be far enough away that they will not be reasonably targeted. In my games, it also means that they will be too far away to receive aid from the second wave that's flying in but that's the risk they take.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I meant a general rule, but good to know. Thanks!
There isn't a "general rule" for this as I am aware of. There are lots of instances which imply it, however.

For example, many class features allow you to apply double your proficiency bonus, as does Expertise. Can you apply it double twice? No, there is a specific ruling in the PHB (pg. 12) that covers that instance. Just as there was one for temporary hit points.

Hi,
I have a quick question. On some FB page I have a discussion about using EB with eldritch spear + SS + distant spell. One guy said it can't be combined, because "general rules overridden by specific rules." and EB with ES will be always only 300 ft.

I never read Eldritch spear by this way. Only as change 60 ft to 300 ft...

This was asked back in 2015 and Crawford said it would quadruple the range. The original question is gone, but the answer is still there:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
None of the effects overules the other, so there is no need to invoke "specific beats general". However, in order to target someone 1200 feet away with a spell the caster would need to be able to see a target that far away.
I’ve hit targets with open sights at 400 yards, and I’m no expert marksman.

You can definitely see 1200ft away.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
What a human looks like 1000 feet from the viewer.

1000ft.JPG

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Not sure if it's the "right way" to rule it or not, but the way I would do it? I would borrow an old rule from 3rd Edition that says if a number is doubled twice, it is considered a triple instead of a quadruple.

So Eldritch Spear makes the range 300 ft.
Then, Distant Spell doubles that, to 600 ft.
Then, Spell Sniper doubles it again. But, a double-double is a triple, so it's tripled to 900 ft.

Not that there's anything wrong with having 1200' range on a cantrip. (Within reason, of course. You still need to see something to target it...and some things might not be visible from almost a quarter-mile away because of their size, or because of rain, foliage, terrain, etc.) Past a certain point, the DM will have to make a judgment call on whether or not a target is valid at that range.

Oofta

Legend
What a human looks like 1000 feet from the viewer.

View attachment 127028

Which has kind of been my point. Not only a tiny speck, but imagine trying to pick out which tiny speck is your buddy and which one is the bad guy as they're all maneuvering and fighting. Good luck.

Besides why would it really matter? If you have 600 ft range you probably can't be targeted by anything anyway. When it comes to just common sense ... how well can you see something 2 football fields away?

Remove ads