• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elemental Hero' Handbook

Incenjucar

Legend
All good ideas, hbnetto. At the very least could make it into additional builds and powers if the class was to be developed further.

--

I find that the elemental power source is a good source for turning assumptions around. For example, I have an idea for a controller that wears heavy armor, uses a gauntlet-type weapliment, "rides" an elemental "mount" (usually in the form of golem-like armor), and hurls shockwaves of elemental energy or punches the ground to create walls. I shall call it the Exulter.

--

Defcon: Oh I'm sure that the book will lead to a LOT of arguments, whether it's fantastic or terrible.

Last edited:

I would loved to see an Int-based striker that isn't relegated to blasting/controlling.

I imagin a striker with Con prime and Wis secondary, in heavy armor and a striker mechanic of Ongoing wis of an element type chosen each round (kinda like runepriest rune state) Mostly melee ranged attacks but a few close attacks. Make them implment users that have Staff, Rod, and Tomb as there base, but having feats/paragon paths that allow mace and hammers as weapon/implments

Then I also like the idea of a ranged defender that is a summoner, an elmental force (I will call it a jin) that acts like the shaman spirit, and a bunch of daily summons that act like wizard summons each with there own marks, and punishment.
Give them Int Prime, and COn 2nd then give them leather armor and light shield...have there at wills or atleast a bunch count as basic attacks

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Would it be bad of me to say that I want a new class that has different roles based on their elemental focus?

Imagine an earth elementalist defender whose armor is made of magical stone, and who wields an obsidian sword. Or perhaps a water elementalist leader who can create waves and can use water to heal. Or perhaps an air elementalist controller who creates gusts of wind to move his foes around the battlefield. Or perhaps a fire elementalist striker whose fire-knives can assault his foes.

I'm certain you can arrange that any way you want. Heck, you could maybe get four classes out of that. But I think it would be nifty to have one single class that could fill all four roles, something not done anywhere else in D&D.

Neverfate

First Post
I imagin a striker with Con prime and Wis secondary, in heavy armor and a striker mechanic of Ongoing wis of an element type chosen each round (kinda like runepriest rune state) Mostly melee ranged attacks but a few close attacks. Make them implment users that have Staff, Rod, and Tomb as there base, but having feats/paragon paths that allow mace and hammers as weapon/implments

Then I also like the idea of a ranged defender that is a summoner, an elmental force (I will call it a jin) that acts like the shaman spirit, and a bunch of daily summons that act like wizard summons each with there own marks, and punishment.
Give them Int Prime, and COn 2nd then give them leather armor and light shield...have there at wills or atleast a bunch count as basic attacks

I'm kind of tired of Wis/Con classes for the dwarf to excel at. Though the concept of ongoing elemental damage is nice. Seeing as we'll likely get an "Essentials" classes, I wouldn't mind some stance powers. This could be a chance to make an Essentials Monk for WotC. I know many reel their head at E-builds (I personally like them), but it's just a direction we're going to have to expect.

Defender with Elemental minions sounds cool too. I'd like to see a unique stat array. We have plenty strength primary Defenders already and Int and Con defender too... And Charisma kind of. Dex or Wis defender? I imagine you'll be summoning a creature with a Defender aura...E-builds and all.

Dice4Hire

First Post
The Dragonlance Fifth Age materials had several schools of magic that would fit quite well here:
  • Aeromancy
  • Cryomancy
  • Electromancy
  • Geomancy
  • Hydromancy
  • Pyromancy
  • Spectramancy

*crosses fingers*

All I can say is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is enough wizard stuff out there already, both pre and post essentials.

Let's get some new classes.

Incenjucar

Legend
There's definately a lot of room for things like shugenja and anything related to Eastern or daoist elemental concepts.

I can only hope that WotC never releases anything with the suffix -mancy ever again. Mancy means DIVINATION, and everytime I see it used to mean "magic" it kills one of the souls I keep in my bookcase.

--

The ability scores for elementalism will probably revolve around Int and Cha. Int has been directly linked to manipulating elemental chaos matter in the Manual of the Planes, and Cha is much more typically associated with elementalism (at least the explosive kind) than Wisdom, which is usually associated with spirits and deities.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Amazon has a brief description up. Some people on this thread are going to be happy, some less so.

Masters of fire and earth. Lords of air and water. This tome is the definitive sourcebook for creating and playing characters with ties to the Elemental Chaos and the primordial beings that dwell there. It shows how the elements can influence heroes of the natural world and presents elemental-themed character options for players.

In addition to discussing elemental power and presenting new character themes with strong story hooks, this book includes three new class builds--the elementalist, the sha'ir, and the shugenja--and new feats and paragon paths designed to tie existing characters more closely to the Elemental Chaos.

Incenjucar

Legend
Agh. I'm saddened by how incredibly unambitious that sounds. The material itself might be good (though the word "builds" is never a good sign), but only three, and nothing except maybe elementalists that might be genuinely new? :( Hope what little they do is enough to fill a book.

Remove ads