D&D 5E Elements in a new official setting

Which Elements in a new official setting would you like to see?

• Herioc Fantasy

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Sword and Sorcery

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • Epic/Noble Fantasy

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Mythic Fantasy

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Intrigue

• Mystery

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Swashbuckling

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • War

• Wuxia

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Low Magic

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Base Magic

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • High Magic

• Super High Magic

• Industrial

• Modern

• Future/Space

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Stone Age

• Classical

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Martial Tilted

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Arcane Tilted

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Divine Tilited

• Tilted to another "power source"

• Bright Fantasy

• Grim Fantasy

• Urban Fantasy

• Cultural Fantasy

• Planar Fantasy

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Grounded Fantasy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Everyone talks about returning setting for D&D.

But what kind of new setting would you want WOTC in a rand spanking new setting?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If I were billionaire rich, after using most of it on useful things, I'd be happy to pay too much to have them make a great version of Tun Faire from Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. series. (Although I'd wish I could have a few edits in books 7-9, and maybe skip 10-on except for Pular Singe).

Relatively low magic by DnD standards (maybe like an e8 game) in an urban fantasy setting with tons of different races butting heads. And at least some psionics. To do classic crime noir right would you need decent rules for knocking people out when surprised?

If I couldn't get that, I'd vote Wuxia.

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Shaper of Worlds
PSIONIIIIICS

Also Swashbuckling. And Swords and Sorcery.

But not, like, racist/misogynistic Swords and Sorcery. Just relatively low magic with a high focus on interpersonal violence, curses, taboos, cunning, thievery, and the existential questions that Conan and his predecessor Kull both faced.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I voted Swashbuckling mythic sword and sorcery, but thats probabky from the new HeMan announcement and reading Jose Farmers Khokarsa books.
Id have chosen Noble, War, Cultural too

we do need a good medieval setting

what is grounded fantasy?

Cubicle 7 did a very good job using the 5E rules for Adventures in Middle-Earth, so an official D&D setting that was similarly low magic, but still epic, would be cool.

And a lot of the stuff in this poll would probably apply more to a new game using 5E rules, rather than a new setting using the existing rules, so not sure what else to vote for.

Yaarel

Mind Mage
Swashbuckling tied for first place right now. Interesting that a lot of people agree with me that 5E doesn't really have a sufficiently swashbuckling setting (I mean, it could have been Eberron, but it chose to focus elsewhere). It really could use one, I think.
What are your essential features for a swashbuckling setting? How does it differ from PH options?

Swashbuckling tied for first place right now. Interesting that a lot of people agree with me that 5E doesn't really have a sufficiently swashbuckling setting (I mean, it could have been Eberron, but it chose to focus elsewhere). It really could use one, I think.

Until WotC does something for it, it is possible to update A Might Fortress from 2E to 5E:

An Advertisement

Advertisement4