D&D 5E Elements in a new official setting

Which Elements in a new official setting would you like to see?

• Herioc Fantasy

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Sword and Sorcery

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • Epic/Noble Fantasy

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Mythic Fantasy

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Dark Fantasy

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Intrigue

• Mystery

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Swashbuckling

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • War

• Wuxia

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Low Magic

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Base Magic

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • High Magic

• Super High Magic

• Industrial

• Modern

• Future/Space

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Stone Age

• Classical

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Martial Tilted

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Arcane Tilted

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Divine Tilited

• Tilted to another "power source"

• Bright Fantasy

• Grim Fantasy

• Urban Fantasy

• Cultural Fantasy

• Planar Fantasy

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Grounded Fantasy

• Poll closed .

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think the main things in Sword & Sorcery that could come across as somewhat dodgy are "violence is an appropriate solution to even small evils" and "wine, women, and song are great ways to use you fame and rewards". When that's considered to much, then there's really nothing left to work with.

One thing I find very interesting is that it's generally aggressively inclusive and anti-segegationist, especially when compared to typical Epic Fantasy. In Sword & Sorcery, nobody cares who you are, how you look, or where you come from. Everyone are judged solely by their deeds and words.

I think much of the sexualization is less "I'm a hero so I deserve chicks", but more "I'm hot and won't let myself be forced to hide it". Because the heroes are badasses and if someone tries to tell them otherwise they get punched in the face.

Yeah. In S&S the heroes are more popular grey badasses who are the only ones able to slay the Threat or BBEG. People don't care about your races, sex, or problems. Just ATEOTD, you kill the wizard.

I think one what to exemplify this is a vice Mechanic. Every PC gets a Sin or Vice they like to get into and they have to roll to resist them when they come up. Players can use their vices to increase survival. Carousing resets you Vice slowly.

This way Vices don't always have to be Sex. It can be Praise, Food, Laziness, Drugs, Drink.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Personally, I fo enjoy reading some of those writers, but the violence, racism and misogyny is a bit much sometimes.

I’m actually quite bemused that Sword & Scorcery writers are being singled out as somehow worse than other genres when the reality is that violence, sexism and racism is a feature across the whole spectrum of fantasy literature - Tolkien, Goodkind, McCaffrey, Sara Douglas, Stephen Donaldson all have lurid examples that should raise as many eyebrows as the writings of REH

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I’m actually quite bemused that Sword & Scorcery writers are being singled out as somehow worse than other genres when the reality is that violence, sexism and racism is a feature across the whole spectrum of fantasy literature - Tolkien, Goodkind, McCaffrey, Sara Douglas, Stephen Donaldson all have lurid examples that should raise as many eyebrows as the writings of REH
violence is rarely listed as a problem, the others that is just they are super old hence lots of rotten beliefs but ripping it out of them on the setting level is rarely a problem.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As of now, the biggest "3" part combo

Low Magic Planar Swashbuckling and Sorcery

So high seas adventures into planar-touched islands?

YOU GUYS WANT ONE PIECE D&D?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Sword & Sorcery
Low Magic
Future/Space

Not all in one setting, mind you - although, come to think of it, I would play the heck out of that!

If WOTC does a 5E sci-fi-ish setting/sourcebook, I expect it to be fairly generic and catch-all, with a sprinkling of suggestions and variant rules options for adjusting the presence of magic, tech, psionics, aliens, ftl, etc .to suit your table.

Remove ads