Elements of Magic: Questions for the Designer

Kemrain

First Post
I was looking at the Ritual Magic rules today, and noticed that a 1st level Mage can cast a 3MP spell for 2 MP. That supposed to be that way?

+2MP has a cost of MP limit x 2. When your limit is 1, that equals 2, even though you're getting a 3MP effect. Neat, eh?

- Kemrain the, um, numbers thingey?

Rituals...

It appears that way. You must also remember that the mage is taking 4 rounds to cast the spell and actually has a slim chance, if rolling a 1 on the caster check.., of fouling up the spell.

I dont think thats game breaking.

- Prim Screw.. the suprised on timing!

[I am working on a spreadsheet to ease the ritual casting math and thought to double check the board to see if there were any clarifications :) ]

Archus

Explorer
Limited Spells and Enlarge/Reduce

I'm working on converting some d20 core spells and have a few questions/comments.

Having some MP reductions for limited spells would be useful. I'm looking at a Hold Portal spell in EoMR. Move Force 2/Gen 1 to get a 25 strength holding a portal closed 30 feet from you. This seems like a pretty outrageous cost for what it does - especially considering that the same MP could be spent to move anything around in range. A "limited spell" reduction of 1 or 2 MP would seem reasonable.

Enlarge and Reduce could be made tranform effects without needing to turn into a creature that is that size. I was thinking that for 1 or 2 MP you can increase or decrease the size ategory of a creature by one step. For each level of size change the following modifiers would be applied:

* Increase: +2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 Attack, -1 AC, +5' Reach, +5' Move

* Decrease: -2 Str, +2 Dex, +1 Attack, +1 AC, -5' reach (min 0), -5' Move (min 5)

What do you think?

Edit:
I would note that I believe only signature spells should get an MP discount for a restricted effect. Spontaneous effects would never be discounted.

Last edited:

astriemer

First Post
How to cost fortification for magical armor? What spell list? How many MP?

Off the top of my head, I'd think perhaps Abjure Space (or Nature), maybe 3 MP for light, 5 for medium, and 7 for heavy (based on similar MP costs for equivalent spell resistances).

Also, would Infuse Space applied to armor make it ghost touch? The list description mentions weapons, and I just wanted to clarify that it should indeed apply to armor.

A general guideline is 1 MP per 'plus' it would be worth as a magic weapon or armor, adjusted up or down by 1 for utility. Once I figured out how I was going to do magic items, it helped me reverse engineer some effects. I just missed fortification.

Remove ads