• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elements of Magic: Questions for the Designer

Kemrain

First Post
I was looking at the Ritual Magic rules today, and noticed that a 1st level Mage can cast a 3MP spell for 2 MP. That supposed to be that way?

+2MP has a cost of MP limit x 2. When your limit is 1, that equals 2, even though you're getting a 3MP effect. Neat, eh?

- Kemrain the, um, numbers thingey?

Rituals...

It appears that way. You must also remember that the mage is taking 4 rounds to cast the spell and actually has a slim chance, if rolling a 1 on the caster check.., of fouling up the spell.

I dont think thats game breaking.

- Prim Screw.. the suprised on timing!

[I am working on a spreadsheet to ease the ritual casting math and thought to double check the board to see if there were any clarifications :) ]

Archus

Explorer
Limited Spells and Enlarge/Reduce

I'm working on converting some d20 core spells and have a few questions/comments.

Having some MP reductions for limited spells would be useful. I'm looking at a Hold Portal spell in EoMR. Move Force 2/Gen 1 to get a 25 strength holding a portal closed 30 feet from you. This seems like a pretty outrageous cost for what it does - especially considering that the same MP could be spent to move anything around in range. A "limited spell" reduction of 1 or 2 MP would seem reasonable.

Enlarge and Reduce could be made tranform effects without needing to turn into a creature that is that size. I was thinking that for 1 or 2 MP you can increase or decrease the size ategory of a creature by one step. For each level of size change the following modifiers would be applied:

* Increase: +2 Str, -2 Dex, -1 Attack, -1 AC, +5' Reach, +5' Move

* Decrease: -2 Str, +2 Dex, +1 Attack, +1 AC, -5' reach (min 0), -5' Move (min 5)

What do you think?

Edit:
I would note that I believe only signature spells should get an MP discount for a restricted effect. Spontaneous effects would never be discounted.

Last edited:

astriemer

First Post
How to cost fortification for magical armor? What spell list? How many MP?

Off the top of my head, I'd think perhaps Abjure Space (or Nature), maybe 3 MP for light, 5 for medium, and 7 for heavy (based on similar MP costs for equivalent spell resistances).

Also, would Infuse Space applied to armor make it ghost touch? The list description mentions weapons, and I just wanted to clarify that it should indeed apply to armor.

A general guideline is 1 MP per 'plus' it would be worth as a magic weapon or armor, adjusted up or down by 1 for utility. Once I figured out how I was going to do magic items, it helped me reverse engineer some effects. I just missed fortification.

Remove ads