D&D (2024) Elf as a class

For such a concept I would go for an association for race and sub class.
one race <—> one subclass or some few choice.
for example
elf eldrith knight fighter, enchantment school wizard.

you may add sub race into the process if you need.

that may not fit for all players, but NPC must obey the rules!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So after a few years of trying (and burning out on) pbp, in early 2021 finally got to play 5e "for real" as a player (not as a DM) and I decided that I wanted to start with something very iconic, almost cliche. The party didn't have a scout, and I told myself "I'm going to make my PC legolas!"

So of course I'm going to make him a ranger right? But then I thought about it... and I went with a Kensei Monk. A lot of monk powers can be very easily be be reskinned as "elf powers". I will leave the details to imagine for the reader, but once you've done that, you'll see that it really, really "fits"

JThursby

Adventurer
Race as class.
I don't think this will ever return nor should it. A major complaint I have and see repeated with 5e is character homogeneity. Making races as classes basically takes one of the few ways you have of customizing a character and removing it entirely by folding it into the primary character choice, which is your class. I'd rather see more choices within a race that are iconic to that race, ideally beyond just character creation as well. We already have that with some of the racial feats but they compete for the extremely valuable feat/ASI slots, I'd rather have them be their own thing you can pick from at certain points in your career.

So after a few years of trying (and burning out on) pbp, in early 2021 finally got to play 5e "for real" as a player (not as a DM) and I decided that I wanted to start with something very iconic, almost cliche. The party didn't have a scout, and I told myself "I'm going to make my PC legolas!"

So of course I'm going to make him a ranger right? But then I thought about it... and I went with a Kensei Monk. A lot of monk powers can be very easily be be reskinned as "elf powers". I will leave the details to imagine for the reader, but once you've done that, you'll see that it really, really "fits"
monks give great mobility and versatility and Legolas has both.

this goes back to my theory that every pop culture character turned into a D&D concept could be run at least 2 most 3-5 different builds.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
monks give great mobility and versatility and Legolas has both.

this goes back to my theory that every pop culture character turned into a D&D concept could be run at least 2 most 3-5 different builds.

Absolutely - say you want a "swashbuckler". Sure you could play a rogue swashbuckler.... but a kensei monk, a dex-build battlemaster would also work well too.

aco175

Legend
I'm not sure making a race a class would work. Tasha's has the new rules for making a race and making a variant race/elf class might not work. I have seen some discussion on if the new 'race' you make to get the variant build is a member of a race or a separate thing.

Remove ads