Elfquest racial write up

Darkwolf71

First Post
I've never seen one, but I assume the easiest way to handle it would be with a racial feat that grants an animal companion as if a Druid, limited to a specific beast.

There may be a better feat/ability to address it in the Psionic books, but I'm not overly familiar with them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There is also the issue of the smaller stature of the wolf clans, as well as the various other forms in the series.

Doing a little research, I came up with this:

A licensed tabletop Elfquest RPG was produced by Chaosium in 1984, utilizing the Basic Role-Playing system which had first appeared in the game Runequest and some original illustrations by Wendy Pini, including the character sheets. Only 3 supplements were produced for the game, ElfQuest Companion – which included random character generation tables, and was included in the hardback second edition. Sea Elves – noteworthy for introducing information and art provided by the Pinis describing the Sea Elf tribe long before they appeared in any of the comics. Elf War – which contained several adventures outside of the comic-book continuity. 6 boxed sets of 25 mm white metal miniatures for the game were released by Ral Partha.

Both the role-playing game and the comics themselves have sprung a number of online games (mostly MUSHes). A listing of these is available from Fan Links on the Official Elfquest site.

Track that down, and you should be able to convert them pretty easily.

Best of luck!

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I don't know what help it will be for the newer editions, but Dragon Magazine had the core characters from Elfquest statted out in an old article. I'll dig through my stacks and see if I can get you an exact issue number. I don't remember anything in the article about bonding with the wolves, but if there's anything there I'll let you know.

Looks like its in issue 66, but I didn't find anything particularly useful for you. The article says that the wolves are exceptionally intelligent and have stats equivalent to Dire Wolves, but it doesn't talk about bonding. Aside from sending and special abilities like Redlance's, and being listed as size: small, the article says you can consider the wolfriders to be the same as normal elves.
The Elfquest trolls are considered to be dwarves in AD&D according to the article.

If you have any questions about the article, let me know and I'll flip through it again.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I did some searching and this is what I found:

Str 2d6+2
Con 2d6+6
Siz 2d3+1
Int 3d6
Pow 2d6+6
Dex 2d6+9
App 2d6+6

Wolfriders only live to be around 1000 years old (most elves can live to be 10 times that old), but they have sharper senses and the ability to smell like wolves (aka scent) and a better chance of bonding with wolves.

All elves can bond with animals and can communicate telepathically with each other, other powers are rare.

So a basic conversion would be:

+2 Dex, -2 Str
Small-sized
Base Movement rate 40 feet
Ability to use Missive at will with other elves
+2 racial bonus to spot and listen
Gain the scent special ability
Gain an animal companion using their character level to determine its abilities.
Favored Class: Psychic Warrior

More than likely in an Elfquest type world only elves could be casters, humans and trolls cannot.

Last edited:

BluWolf

Explorer
Thanks for all the feed back and suggestions.

Here is the general write up I think I am going for. Any class that gets an animal companion or a familiar will use its tribe's animal. (There will be more than just wolf-riders.)

No sending because I am going to keep psionics to a minimum in my game but I think I will grant some form of "familiar-esqe" type communication via a Wild Elf Paragon class.

WILD ELVEN RACIAL TRAITS

• +2 Dexterity, –2 Intelligence: wild Elves retain their racial gracefulness but do not place a premium on intellectual pursuits.
• Small-size: As Small creatures, wild elves gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
• Wild Elven base speed is 20 feet.
• Low-light Vision: Elves can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• All Wild Elves are Proficient with shortsword, short spear and shortbow.
• +2 racial bonus on Perception and Search checks.
• +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Nature) and Survival. These skills are always considered a class skill for wild elves.
• Animal companion: Any class a wild elf takes that affords a familiar special mount or animal companion will be of the same animal type as the wild elves tribe. This is a supernatural ability.
• Automatic Languages: Tribal Elven
• Bonus Languages: Elven (true), elvish, Barbaric (tribal), Goblin (tribal), Romish (regional).
• Favored Class: Ranger.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Uh, okay. Anyway, at least its reawakened my interest in Elfquest and I've updated the speed of the wolfriders after looking at the writeups at the end of the Elfbook.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases