D&D General Embracer Group buys Asmodee, Darkhorse, and Perfect World

Asmodee is a major board game and TTRPG company, Perfect World owns Forgotten Realms MMO Neverwinter, Champions, and Star Trek Online (via ownership of Cryptic Studios), and Dark Horse is the Comic publisher who owns Hellboy.

I half expect them to buy a movie studio next.

Anyways with all the video game, comic book, board game, and TTRPG IP they now own, could they become the next serious revival in the TTRPG scene for WotC?

Dark Horse?

AntiqueOrneryArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Dark Horse?
Kinda surprising but the Richardson brothers are getting older and their in-fighting never really stopped. They're likely going for a payout so they can split the money and walk away. I wonder how financially separate the Things From Another World comic shops are. The Beaverton store is separate, I think, and the one brother owns it, I think. I wonder if he'll have to change the name of his store. Weird and wild.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Kinda surprising but the Richardson brothers are getting older and their in-fighting never really stopped. They're likely going for a payout so they can split the money and walk away. I wonder how financially separate the Things From Another World comic shops are. The Beaverton store is separate, I think, and the one brother owns it, I think. I wonder if he'll have to change the name of his store. Weird and wild.
Yep.

They own it all. Dark Horse Entertainment. All the IPs and the retail stores. Wow. TFAW is what...the third largest comics retailer in the US.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
Asmodee is a major board game and TTRPG company, Perfect World owns Forgotten Realms MMO Neverwinter, Champions, and Star Trek Online (via ownership of Cryptic Studios), and Dark Horse is the Comic publisher who owns Hellboy.

Minor clarification - Dark Horse is a creator-owned comic company, so, IIRC, Mike Mignola owns Hellboy, not Dark Horse. Theoretically, if Dark Horse treated Mike badly, Mike could take his ball and go to IDW or Image or whoever, depending on the terms of the contract. It's like saying Dark Horse owns Berserk - they publish the English version of it, but they don't own it.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
They own Fantasy Flight Games as far as i know, so all the FFG Star Wars games, and the old Dark Heresy-era WH40K rpgs which i think are still sold in pdf form. Looking at FFGs website - Legend of the 5 Rings is the other big one.
Embracer is a video game company. I'm willing to bet they'll start developing a L5R video game almost immediately.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases