D&D General Embracer Group buys Asmodee, Darkhorse, and Perfect World

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Minor clarification - Dark Horse is a creator-owned comic company, so, IIRC, Mike Mignola owns Hellboy, not Dark Horse. Theoretically, if Dark Horse treated Mike badly, Mike could take his ball and go to IDW or Image or whoever, depending on the terms of the contract. It's like saying Dark Horse owns Berserk - they publish the English version of it, but they don't own it.
Mostly creator owned. Their other major publishing arm is licensed stuff. But they do have some original IPs that Dark Horse owns outright.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The flip side is I can see then turning some if their Video Game IPs into TTRPG games.
That's funny. FFG all but discontinues their RPG division...only to be bought out by a video game company...so they can publish RPGs.
Like what IPs do they own out right?
Off the top of my head...

and

and

and

I'm sure there's a few more. But yeah, it's not many.

Last edited:

The own the Dust Tactics IP as far as i remember. There was never an RPG to the best of my knowledge, but it had a bit of a niche for a while there, WWII-era dieselpunk with mecha and cthulhiana. It's not an A+ media property by even the longest stretch of the imagination, but if they want to hive off an IP to make a quick mobile game or something, then WWII-adjacent stuff is always a safe option.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
With three stores they're the third largest?
Shrug.

Four stores. It’s an odd thing to brag about, but apparently, yes...

It’s likely the Los Angeles, CA store combined with the website that makes them so big.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Shrug.

Four stores. It’s an odd thing to brag about, but apparently, yes...

It’s likely the Los Angeles, CA store combined with the website that makes them so big.
I've been to the Universal Studios store many many times. It's kind of a ghost town from Covid and has been for 18 months now. My local podunk comics shop has about as much activity. The issue is it's at Universal Studios, and that was shut down for a long time and has complex Covid rules now to get in.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I've been to the Universal Studios store many many times. It's kind of a ghost town from Covid and has been for 18 months now. My local podunk comics shop has about as much activity. The issue is it's at Universal Studios, and that was shut down for a long time and has complex Covid rules now to get in.
Okay. I’m not making a claim. I’m reporting their claim and speculating what might make it so.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases