• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Emerald Press looking for artists

Status
Not open for further replies.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Hey everyone,

I have recently accepted the position as Art Director for Emerald Press. As a small PDF publisher we are looking for some talented artists who produce nice professional looking images for our publications.

Anyone who is interested may apply. In the beginning there will be no restitution except art credits and by-lines. Our initial line is a PDF magazine and as such not a paying job at this time.

However those artists who repetedly show an ability to meet deadlines and art requests will be considered for our later product line which will be a for-profit endeavor.

If you are interested, please stop over at our Website for more information. (http://www.gigs-bytes.com/emeraldpress/index.htm)

Here's the info on Emerald Nights, out magazine:

Emerald Night currently has two products in their early stages: Emerald Nights: The D20 Source (a free online magazine) and the D20 Options series of sourcebooks. We are currently accepting submissions for both. Upcoming issues of the magazine will focus on the following themes:

Issue 1: Bards and music
Issue 2: Steampunk
Issue 3: Nature's friends (druids, rangers, elves and gnomes)
Issue 4: War
Issue 5: Arcane variations

Thanks,
Shawn "LrdApoc" Sines
Art Director, Emerald Press

Last edited:

Eternalknight

First Post
jRocket said:
Show the dough and the artist will come.

Actually, if u read carefully, you'll notice that art will be volunteer to start with, followed by the possibilty of paid work if you meet our requirements. :) If you are still interested, drop is a line :)

Last edited:

rpace

First Post
Man. . . . .

Do professional work on deadline for free now and we might hire you if ever we really have money to pay for art later.

I'm sure the offer is made will only the best of intentions, but I really feel bad for any artist taking up this offer. You're better off working on your own material on your own schedule to get good enough to work for real publishers.

Projects like this have no value to the aspiring illustrator; It's PDF so you won't see what effect print will have on your work and it's PDF so only a handful of people will ever see it.

In my 14 years as an illustrator I've never seen a company make good on a "when we have money" promise.

Remember; if you're a commercial illustrator your work is worth what you get paid to do it.

How many of you think your work is worthless?

~Richard

Storn

Explorer
I'm with rpace.

Work for free is bull:):):):).

Come up with an art budget like any good company. If your pay is low, you'll get young artists, in-experienced folk...nothing wrong with that. We all have to start somewhere.

If your pay is decent, then you can command some of the talent in this business.

But to pay nothing.... you'll get what you pay for. Missed deadlines, crappy artwork, no artwork.

But no money, unless you are god awfully lucky, you will get amateur artwork. Amateurs don't get paid. Pros do. That is a very cut and dried version of what pros are...but it does have a lot of truth to it.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Thank you for your input gentlemen.

I guess I would agree.. professional artists do live or die by their paychecks.

Giving enthiusiets an opportunity is the biggest reason we posted this inquiry here. Not as a recruitment tool for 'professional' artists.
I'm sorry you did not understand that and it caused offense to 'professionals' such as yourselves.

I would have appreciated your keeping your feelings private or discussing your concerns with us, as the only purpose in your statements is to berate a group of people looking to offer folks an opportunity to have their work seen.

I realize PDF is not an optimal medium for exposure, but small start ups must work within their means and distribution channels.

Once again, thanks for the comments, they are duely noted.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads