• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

emergency info request : savage species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Coulter

First Post
I've got to make a new char. mid game, but my copy of savage is at home.

Can someone give me the basics for the half ogre?

thanks a bunch.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Moral of the story: always bring ALL your books to EVERY game. You never know when you'll need them.

Chris Coulter

First Post
Pax said:
Moral of the story: always bring ALL your books to EVERY game. You never know when you'll need them.

Oh. hey. Thanks.

I'll just tote 180 lbs. with me every week. That'll work fine. Or better yet, I'll just tell my DM I can never die so I don't need to make any new characters. That'll be _just_ fine.

Pax

Banned
Banned
3E doesn't HAVE 180# of books, first off.

And second off, during 2E days -- I put every 2E rulebook and sourcebook I owned (aside from setting-specific stuff, that amounted to EVERYthing) into a milk crate, and lugged IT around.

Even to games I got to on foot, yes, almost a mile away from my home.

*shrug*

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Considering that you had enough time to go online and request help from ENWorld, it can't have been much of an "emergency." That's especially true since Savage Species is entirely optional. If you really did need a character that badly, you could've made something other than a half-ogre.

Seriously, when there's any possibility you'll need one of your books, bring it with you. Don't ask people to violate copyright just because you forgot one at home. And especially don't get pissy if people refuse to break the law for your convenience.

Chris Coulter

First Post
Look, with all sarcasm aside, I was just looking for a touch of help. The guy next to me and I had just been killed, and he was thinking of switching from playing the rouge to a more melee character, and he couldn't remember the half ogre stat mods. after determining that between us the house contains every 3rd ed hardback and splatbook _except_ Savage. So I look over to him and say "I'll jump on to ENworld and ask if some one can help." I have seen quick "during game" posts like this in the past and had hoped I could help a guy out by turning to the most knowledgeable and helpful gaming community I've ever encountered.

I didn't get an answer, and the only response I did get, while arguable, was akin to telling the dying man in the desert to always carry water.

Not that I helped the situation. Should have just kept my mouth shut.

The response was ironic in that I used to carry _every_ damn book to each session, but I found them to become more of a distraction then a tool. I would browse them in the lulls in the game and become side tracked from the events in play. Eventually I resolved to just bring my PHB (I try to draw from it exclusively for character generation so I don't have to consult 4 different books to look for any rule pertaining to my character) so I could concentrate on the events of the game.

So if I upset anyone, I'm sorry. That wasn't my intent. I acknowledge I acted in a manner that did nothing to make the situation better.

I have returned home (left early with a terrific head cold), and both the player in question, who is looking at a Half Ogre monk, and myself, again to play a human cleric, will arrive next week with fully developed, non intellectual property infringing characters. Still I feel a bit disappointed in the way it all turned out. But I am an @$$hole, so it's probably just me.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Chris Coulter said:
Look, with all sarcasm aside, I was just looking for a touch of help. The guy next to me and I had just been killed, and he was thinking of switching from playing the rouge to a more melee character, and he couldn't remember the half ogre stat mods.

Sealing your fate, here; that's the first move of the guilty: attempt to distance oneself from the crime. When you first posted, it was YOU that needed the new character, and thus, needed the half-ogre stats.

Now it's "another guy".

Uh-huh; right.

after determining that between us the house contains every 3rd ed hardback and splatbook _except_ Savage. So I look over to him and say "I'll jump on to ENworld and ask if some one can help." I have seen quick "during game" posts like this in the past and had hoped I could help a guy out by turning to the most knowledgeable and helpful gaming community I've ever encountered.

... asking said community to violate copyright law in the process.

And I have NEVER seen a group play together more than twice, and NOT have a pretty good knowledge of each others' selection of books. You honestly didn't KNOW that Savage Species wouldn't be available if you didn't bring your copy ... ?

I didn't get an answer, and the only response I did get, while arguable, was akin to telling the dying man in the desert to always carry water.

Not having the half-ogre stats tonight, wouldn't have caused anyone to die. Honestly, any GM that'd introduce a character mid-game (IOW, without taking time to review it, make sure it was kosher and balanced for his campaing, etc), well ... she's doing something wrong, IMO.

Which means, it'd've been the next session before you -- excuse me, the "other guy" -- could play the half-oge, anyway.

The response was ironic in that I used to carry _every_ damn book to each session, but I found them to become more of a distraction then a tool. I would browse them in the lulls in the game and become side tracked from the events in play.

That is not the fault of the books, it's the fault of you and/or the GM's storyline. Me, I'm a rules-monkey, I enjoy making characters nearly as much as I enjoy playing them, and unless things get truly boring, I easily resist the urge to browse my OWN books mid-game.

I have found that for most books -- even the PHB -- having as many copies as possible floating around the table, keeps the game moving more smoothly, anyway -- noone has to wait for a copy of the PHB to look up the exact details of X spell they're thinking of casting when their turn comes up, because there are nearly as namy PHBs as players. Etc.

Of course, I find it HIGHLY amusing you PRESUME I even have a copy of Savage Species; your response, IMO, can only be read as resentment that I didn't answer your question.

All I did, in fact, was offer offhand advice for the next time.

Mind you, I -do- own a copy, and -didn't- entirely believe your story; it turns out, in light of your most recent evasion, I was probably justified in reaching that conclusion.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Chris, if it's not in the SRD, it's bad form asking for it here. We prefer that such info not be given on the messageboards. You just fell afoul of that policy.

Hope your game was fun otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads