• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World GameStore Closing

Arnwyn

First Post
Treebore said:
From the consumer standpoint PDF's still aren't as conveninet or easy to read as print. So until pdf's are as easy on my eyes, and as easy to carry around as a print book, don't expect them to compete with print.
Word.

(And, no, a $1000 piece of equipment required to make PDFs "convenient" is not convenient.)

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
direpress said:
i'll offer that from some consumer standpoints, they are. i can carry a 5 lb. laptop to the game with the d20 SRD and every PDF i own on it, or most of my gaming bookshelf. guess which i opt for? i can type a keyword into the search field and find what i'm looking for in five seconds, or flip through the index (if there is one). guess which i opt for?

usw. convenience is a personal issue.

PREACH, Brother. PREACH!!!

PDF's make it easier for me to put adventures together, easier to modify and make changes to things. I make notes, mark up the maps, etc.

I recently bought Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and immediately wished that it was a PDF product not because it wasnt good, but because its physically a nice product, so writing in it was no-no. Post it notes dont cut it for me anymore. If it was a PDF i could print out the parts that I want and not have to worry about messing up a print out. I've said this before RPG's are a utility for me and are intended to be used. I like nice production values as well as the next guy (For example: Ptolus was worth every penny and I'm probably going to shell out for the PDF's as well, while on the flip side I wish that I had just bought the PDF of Rappan Athuk Reloaded instead of the hardcopy, because in the end the production values of that set wasnt that impressive, but the utility of the actual product is very good) but like a said the use of a thing and how I as a DM get to maximize my use of it is paramount to some need to have a pretty tactile product (with a few exceptions of course).

Yair

Community Supporter
ShinHakkaider said:
PREACH, Brother. PREACH!!!
I really like the pdf format for adventures. The ability to print out the content selectively, edit it in photoshop or whatever, and copy-paste it is really far more useful than having a shiny think new book. For rulebooks, however -especially thick rulebooks that will see heavy use, like the PH - I prefer the hardcover. It's easier to read, more fun to have and hold, and more easy to transfer around the table.

When technology will reach the level when a screen-pad will be available with the contrast, resolution, and lack of luminance of paper, and at a price I can afford, I might be amicable to abandoning books in favor of digital media completely. Until then, I prefer books for basically anything but adventures. (Although I still purchase lots of pdfs to get the content cheaper, or for small products - I'm talking about what I'd prefer at the same price, printing costs included.)

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Yair said:
I really like the pdf format for adventures. The ability to print out the content selectively, edit it in photoshop or whatever, and copy-paste it is really far more useful than having a shiny think new book. For rulebooks, however -especially thick rulebooks that will see heavy use, like the PH - I prefer the hardcover. It's easier to read, more fun to have and hold, and more easy to transfer around the table.

When technology will reach the level when a screen-pad will be available with the contrast, resolution, and lack of luminance of paper, and at a price I can afford, I might be amicable to abandoning books in favor of digital media completely. Until then, I prefer books for basically anything but adventures. (Although I still purchase lots of pdfs to get the content cheaper, or for small products - I'm talking about what I'd prefer at the same price, printing costs included.)

Green Ronin, just produced a Pocket version of their M&M rulebook sans the GM section. WOTC recently included a paperback PHB in their Player's Kit. If that paperback PHB was the size of the pocket guide, I'd agree with you. I like having something that I could just beat the crap out of and not worry if onne of my players spill soda all over the book. I like the fact that I can whip out the pocket guide or my PDF print out and work on the train on the way to a game or on the way home from work with relative ease. I hope I didnt come across as someone who hates hardcopies, I just want them to be convienient to use and right now the ability to print what I want or cut and paste rules into a house rule document is just easier for me to do with PDF's.

Note: I also acknowledge that I have a decent laser printer at home with the intent of buying a color laser within the year. So for me printing out PDF's isnt an issue as opposed to someone who doesnt have my setup at home.

I agree with you about the adventures tho, PDF adventures are 16 types of awesome.

Orcus

First Post
I'm thinking of providing double pdfs--ones that exactly match the layout of the book and then a second printer friendly one. Obviously, I am not going to go back and redo old products, but it is something to keep in mind for future products.

Clark

Orcus

First Post
And this shift in my thinking is due-100%--to the emergence of OBS and what I view now as a viable product delivery stream that didnt exist quite the same way before.

Clark

Treebore

First Post
I apparently need to clear up what I said a bit, my comments were at those who do print versions. Those who are strictly pdf I can understand a higher price, at least up to a point.

Last edited:

Paradigm

First Post
Orcus said:
I'm thinking of providing double pdfs--ones that exactly match the layout of the book and then a second printer friendly one. Obviously, I am not going to go back and redo old products, but it is something to keep in mind for future products.

Clark

That is exactly how we do it. Printer friendly is great because layout for print has lots of things that are not purely informative.

Yair

Community Supporter
Orcus said:
I find that printer-friendly variants are also boring-and-crude-layout variants, or at least are too often. I personally almost always print out the screen version. I'd suggest making sure that the print-only version is still handsome and fun, just without the more ink-intensive parts and cutting down on colored backgrounds. I think moden pdfs allow one to actiavte or deactivate layers, so it's possible to customize the appearnace; that would be ideal.

Just saying.

Yair

Remove ads