• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World Movie Battle Royal! We have our winner!

Gomez

First Post
All this Bladerunner talk has reminded me how great the soundtrack was. Hummm...I will have to go pick one up at the record store tonight.

Pielorinho said:
But I think you're wrong about the whole "Is Deckard a replicant" question being one that fans invented. I watched the movie without ever having heard of that conversation (I'd barely heard of the movie when I saw it), and that came across as a central theme, from the questions he gets asked, to the way he looks at his family photographs, to the things the replicants say to him, to the final shot of the origami unicorn. The question of Deckard's biological humanity, and of the reality of his identity, pervades the movie.

There's no question in my mind but that the director intended that. I concede that the movie would be much less rich without that thread.

Actually, when the film was rereleased in very limited cities a few years ago (NY & LA only, i believe), Ridley Scott was interviewed and said, in no uncertain terms, that he intended Deckard to be a replicant and that was a central theme of the movie as far as he was concerned. Straight from the director's mouth.

replicant2

First Post
Blade Runner

My vote is for Blade Runner, though if you put all three Lord of the Rings films together as a single entity I'd vote for that.

Despite the various grumblings from those who either don't like either film, or are angry their favorite was knocked out, IMO you can make a case we distilled the field down to the top SF film of all time and the top fantasy film of all time.

Fun thread, and nice idea Gomez!

Berandor

lunatic
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Actually, when the film was rereleased in very limited cities a few years ago (NY & LA only, i believe), Ridley Scott was interviewed and said, in no uncertain terms, that he intended Deckard to be a replicant and that was a central theme of the movie as far as he was concerned. Straight from the director's mouth.
And Harrison Ford countered that he thought that was bulls***, and that he played Decker as a human and would always think of him thus.

If he had said that back in 1980, I'd believe him. Waiting 20 years to say it seems silly. (cf. "Greedo shoots first").

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor

Interesting and unsurprising (to me, at least). It'd be like hearing that Jeunet and Caro intended the nature of innocence to be a central theme in City of Lost Children, or that Jim Henson intended a Taoist marriage of opposites to be a central theme in The Dark Crystal.

Harrison Ford may have played Deckard as a human, but it wouldn't be the first time a director had made an end movie that surprised the main actor; you can do amazing things in the editing room.

Oh yes, I should vote! It pains me to do so, but I think I have to go with Fellowship of the Ring: I think that in fifty years, it'll still be remembered as one of the all-time great fantastic films.

Daniel

mojo1701

First Post
#1 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, although I'm still dismayed that Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back were knocked out.

Remove ads