D&D 5E EN5ider #521 - Enchanted Trinkets: Treasured Toadstools

The trick is to make sure you're getting what you mean to—things can go horribly wrong otherwise.

Of course the druid or ranger wants to forage about in the sewers or wilderness so let them have some fun with mushrooms! Here are 20 fantastic fungi for adventurers to pick up—although it's not so simple as that. Each has a counterpart that can be difficult to distinguish, and those who don't take care might find that the mushbubble they've pulled over their head to breathe underwater is actually a frogwallop that tries to suffocate, or that the frost agaric they're eating to stay warm is really a flame agaric that makes them chillier instead! Diplanetic designs by Andrew Engelbrite, illustrated by Rachel Maduro.

Treasured_Toadstools-Rachel_Maduro shrunk.jpg

⚔️ Free Articles including a complete adventure, a sidequest adventure, the smart-fighting savant class, and an epic quest you might find famili—on second thought nevermind, it’s very silly.
🐉 Join EN5ider for Immediate Archival Access: Pay as little as $3 each month to become a member and get instant access to the library of 510+ articles at no extra charge!

Lately on EN5ider:
  • 521. Enchanted Trinkets: Treasured Toadstools. Of course the druid or ranger wants to forage about in the sewers or wilderness so let them have some fun with mushrooms! Here are 20 fantastic fungi for adventurers to pick up—although it's not so simple as that. Each has a counterpart that can be difficult to distinguish, and those who don't take care might find that the mushbubble they've pulled over their head to breathe underwater is actually a frogwallop that tries to suffocate, or that the frost agaric they're eating to stay warm is really a flame agaric that makes them chillier instead! Diplanetic designs by Andrew Engelbrite, illustrated by Rachel Maduro.
  • 520. Adventure: Northminster Job. The famed blade and heirloom of the Vivanti family—the Silver Orchid—is going to be stolen. They know because the burglars are the Florists, a brazen and talented group who've completed daring heists across the continent and have sent a calling card warning of the impending theft. The adventurers are tasked with ensuring it isn’t stolen or failing that to secure its return. Unfortunately an effective group of informants make all their preparations for naught and (after finding out how they were duped) it's a race to catch the Florists before the thieves can escape Northminster! This adventure in Elissar for 4–6 PCs of 5th–6th level was deceptively designed by Tyler Omichinski, features illustration by Júlio Rocha, and cartography by Umut Comak.
  • 519. Dangerous Scenarios: Curse of the Specters. Though slain long ago the sorcerer-king Solor's immense power echoes still, buoyed across the centuries by a quintet of champions that linger in the realms material—haunting their tombs, resisting the draw of true death, and slaying any that dare trespass. Dutifully designed by Anthony Pryor, illustrated by Hannah Seakins, and featuring the cartography of Dyson Logos.
  • 518. Monstrous Menagerie: Notable Ne'er-Do-Wells. A trio of brigands awaits! First a masked, mysterious, dangerous, and often dashing bandit that seems to care more about keeping their identity hidden than their own life. Then a mounted bandit who keeps foes at a distance with the improved speed and maneuverability offered by hooved feet. Finally an unusual bandit known far and wide for the strange weaponry they've mastered. Dubiously designed by Michael McCarthy, illustrated by Erik Davis-Heim.
  • 517. Intriguing Organizations: Necrophage Cult. Not all seek to end outbreaks of maladies or avoid the suffering of the many—the Necrophage Cult embraces these atrocities and far more in their fanatical worship of Holy Undeath. To spread their beliefs these cultists submit themselves to vampiric lords, lure and unleash lesser undead, or subject populations to new sicknesses (like the rage plague disease which turns victims into living zombies) at the behest of a high necrophage (CR 8). Diseased designs by Anthony Pryor, illustrated by Yeysson Bellaiza.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

Vincent55

Adventurer
I thought the whole point of 5e was to make it less complex? if you want to add something like this there are much more content on this that would cover herbalism and such for rangers and druids both as well as a spelless ranger that uses poultices to do things.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I thought the whole point of 5e was to make it less complex? if you want to add something like this there are much more content on this that would cover herbalism and such for rangers and druids both as well as a spelless ranger that uses poultices to do things.
This article specifically is about 20 different magical fungi that can be mistaken for counterparts, but you could poke around in #7 Nature’s Remedy and #266 Herbalist's Knapsack for more down-to-earth rules on herbalism. The archive is pretty big and I bet there's probably another article or two pointed in that general direction.

Vincent55

Adventurer
This article specifically is about 20 different magical fungi that can be mistaken for counterparts, but you could poke around in #7 Nature’s Remedy and #266 Herbalist's Knapsack for more down-to-earth rules on herbalism. The archive is pretty big and I bet there's probably another article or two pointed in that general direction.
yes well why pay a sub for crap that has what like 20 things or a short 5 page thing about something when i can buy a full book like Alchemy & Herbalists that may be 3.5 but easy to adapt.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
yes well why pay a sub for crap that has what like 20 things or a short 5 page thing about something when i can buy a full book like Alchemy & Herbalists that may be 3.5 but easy to adapt.
1) EN5ider is quality stuff. We would not have reached over 500 issues if it wasn't. The proof is in the pudding.

2) The EN5ider pudding is without any doubt whatsoever the best bang for your D&D 5E buck. It's all of $5 a month to become a patron, and you have unlimited access to the archive right off the bat.

3) Don't subscribe to EN5ider and instead support the people who make the products you like! We're not hurting for support and I bet 3.5 era publishers like Bastion Press are not only eager to get all the eyes on their stuff that they can get, but are also worth putting more of your money behind (and conversion time too; for subsystems that kind of thing can be a snap). ☺

Vincent55

Adventurer
1) EN5ider is quality stuff. We would not have reached over 500 issues if it wasn't. The proof is in the pudding.

2) The EN5ider pudding is without any doubt whatsoever the best bang for your D&D 5E buck. It's all of $5 a month to become a patron, and you have unlimited access to the archive right off the bat.

3) Don't subscribe to EN5ider and instead support the people who make the products you like! We're not hurting for support and I bet 3.5 era publishers like Bastion Press are not only eager to get all the eyes on their stuff that they can get, but are also worth putting more of your money behind (and conversion time too; for subsystems that kind of thing can be a snap). ☺
point of fact i was subscribed and the cost was not worth it to me but like 5e people seem to like such things so a sucker and their money

Remove ads

Remove ads