• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enchanter seeking to overcome Protection from X spells.

Daniel Gougian

First Post
Alright so I have recently I've been playing a crusader in a D&D 3.5 game. However he has died, so I have decide to bring back my former character in game, an enchanter. I know what you all think, enchantment sucks, but what can I say I'm a romantic for mind control.

Anyways originally this guy was a wizard with levels in a Nightmare Spinner Enchantment Adaptation. His cap ability was originally he can by pass 'immunity to mind effecting' and over come the suppression effects that came from Protection type spells, three times a day.

I say originally because I was just told just yesterday that the ability no longer counters the suppression effect of Protection from 'X" spells. I tried to talk to him about it but he won't budge on it. I suggested pathfinders version or at least a more balanced version, like that the caster must make a spell check my spell caster check ( like that of a dispel check to suppress any on going compulsions or charms.) To make matters worse, there is a player, who is playing a homebrewed angel, in the group that automatically cast protection from evil on anyone in his 30 foot aura as a passive ability.

I really want to play this guy. I have a fighter/bodyguard that is an old NPC the GM had, under my characters control. I want to keep him under my control, but the second he get near the Angel he will be freed and the angel is super paranoid about me. We are all level twenty by the way.

I have come up with the idea of using a item with a permanent effect Lesser Glob of Invulnerability to counter the protection from evil effect (my character knows an epic level artificer that owes him several favors)...but that would cost me, many of my favorite buff spells.

Is there any way to either to have the glob only block certian spells, or not block certain casters?

Last edited:

Nezkrul

First Post
Spell Immunity spell? How long has the bodyguard been charmed/dominated - he may have had time enough to come to like your character anyways without the use of your magic (or just take Leadership if he is at least 2 levels lower than you)

What do you mean "homebrewed angel"?

Starfox

Hero
The mind control protection Protection From Evil offers is very nebulously worded. "Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to [...] exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). " Does this include Charm Person/Monster? One reading is tat it does not protect from the attitude adjustment from Charm spells, but does prevent you from using the "You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do." part. Check with your DM.

Also, in Pathfinder this protection, while unambiguously protecting from charm, only works against charms from evil creatures.

Pathfinder version: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protection-from-evil

As Nezkul says above, if you want a continuous bodyguard, you really should look at the Leadership feat. A charm allows new saving throws over time and can fall to a Dispel Magic or similar effect any time. A simple area dispel could turn your bodyguard against it. Personally, I'd consider it an evil act to enslave a creature by charm spell if done over along period.

Daniel Gougian

First Post
Alright first things first....leadership is out. It a no go. Second thing, the bodyguard has a vow to kill my character. My guy doesnt want to kill him, but if he release him he will hunt my character down to the ends of the earth and back again. Long story.
As for being evil....my character does lean towards the evil side. But so to does half the party.

Tried to Pathfinder....my DM doesnt allow anything from it.

Nezkrul

First Post
Helm of Opposite Alignment, slap on the guy, no need to keep him charmed afterwards (unless he's good and wants to kill you, cuz as an evil guy he'll nuke the country you're in)

Charm Person is a enchantment (charm) spell so Pro X will stop it. But you can ask your DM to fix it so that Pro X only prevents X's mind control effects (i do this in all my games I run, just seems illogical to work the way it is worded)

So, your ally gets to play a homebrewed angel but you can't use a well documented feat with book rules covering it?

Also look up spells "Mindrape", "Mindwhipe", "Modify Memory", and the prestige class "Mindbender"

Nezkrul

First Post
If the helm won't at least make him reconsider his actions/thoughts morally then that means he is either chaotic neutral or lawful neutral... if he is chaotic, the helm WILL help you because he will be constrained by local laws and following them would now be foremost in his mind despite his want to kill you. If he is lawful, the helm WILL help you because he will now act on his urge to attempt to kill you, and all you have to do is set him up and watch him get taken down by local laws.

Another suggestion... set up a contingency to get true-ressed if you die, then cut him loose and let him kill you... but before you let him kill you tell him that his grudge ends with his satisfying his urge to kill you. Get ressed, then continue life. Now he doesn't want/need to kill you anymore, he already did.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Extraordinary Spell Aim, and exclude yourself from the spell effect. I don't know if that would work but you can ask your DM and see if he'll allow it.

2) Why is your angelic friend being so paranoid? Has he met this enchanter before? Sounds like a bit of meta-gaming nonsense.

3) Spell Immunity: Protection from Evil

4) Will Save. This bodyguard of yours considers you to be his best friend. Talk to him and ask him to keep his distance from the angel. And if he gets close to try and resist the magic because of "Bad stuff magic mumbo jumbo".

5) You're an enchanter. Mindrape. No more worries about protection from evil on your bodyguard. You've just altered his memory so he thinks you two have been friends since you were kids. I would be surprised if they pull out a miracle or wish to fix that.

Celebrim

Legend
Dispel Magic?

If your problem is a spell, the way to overcome spell defences is to dispel or supress them. I would accept as a high level custom spell (with appropriate IC research) a spell which combined charm with a targeted dispel of spells that provided defences against it (requiring a caster level check, of course). I'd rate such a spell roughly 5th level, though you might could argue me down to 4th or even lower if it had restrictions. If you are worried about such things, try approaching your DM with a spell research project for your PC. For a 20th level character, researching a spell like that would be I think a fairly trivial problem. With a high enough Spellcraft check, I'd like a 20th level character invent it on the spot (though granted, I'm rather open about such things).

I have come up with the idea of using a item with a permanent effect Lesser Glob of Invulnerability to counter the protection from evil effect.

Hmmm... sounds like overkill, but its debatable from the somewhat incoherent wording in the SRD whether this works.

5) You're an enchanter. Mindrape. No more worries about protection from evil on your bodyguard. You've just altered his memory so he thinks you two have been friends since you were kids. I would be surprised if they pull out a miracle or wish to fix that.

That too.

Remove ads