Enchanting Improvised Weapons?

IcyCool

First Post
So, I've got a few questions regarding magical weapons. More specifically, what can be enchanted as a weapon? Can anything that can be used as an improvised weapon be enchanted as one? (i.e. a +1 flaming shovel) What about the Justicar's (PrC from Complete Warrior) ability to wield masterwork manacles as a masterwork light flail? Could you enchant the manacles as if they were a light flail?

werk

First Post
You have to start with a masterwork 'weapon'. You could get a masterwork shovel, but it is superior at shoveling, not attacking. I don't think the RAW would allow it under craft magic arms and armor, for that reason, but would allow your shovel to be affected by magic weapon or spells like that when weilded.

IMC I would definitely allow it, can't think of any problems it could cause. Heck, I'd let you take focus/spec/crit/whatever. It's crazy, but fun.

Kieperr

First Post
I would say no. An improvised weapon is an object that is not crafted to be a weapon that is used as a weapon. If it is not a weapon to start with then it cannot be enchanted as a weapon. A shovel is a tool that is crafted to dig holes, not hit people. You could enchant it as a wondrous item to dig deeper or faster possibly, but since it is not a weapon it cannot be made into a +1 shovel.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I not only would allow, but have allowed it. A necromancer wielding a +1 frost shovel is just too interesting. Per the rules, I would say it's not allowed.

human necromancer robes: 100gp
+1 frost shovel: 8,301gp
coup de grace on the party paladin by severing the head from his shoulders: priceless

Vorput

First Post
I think Wizards has a second level adventure for download on their website where a NPC had like a steak knife+1. It's the adventure with the pizza golem....

Maybe that says something.

Edit: Oops, Calzone Golem.

Sejs

First Post
Anything that's reasonably weapon-ish, I'd let fly as long as it meets the masterwork requirement.

Shovel? Pickaxe? Crowbar? Absolutly. Go right ahead.

Park bench? Ottoman? Tie Rack? Eeh... not so much.

irdeggman

First Post
Masterwork cost of a weapon = +300 gp

Masterwork cost of a tool = +50 gp.

Creating Masterwork Items: You can make a masterwork item—a weapon, suit of armor, shield, or tool that conveys a bonus on its use through its exceptional craftsmanship, not through being magical. To create a masterwork item, you create the masterwork component as if it were a separate item in addition to the standard item. The masterwork component has its own price (300 gp for a weapon or 150 gp for a suit of armor or a shield) and a Craft DC of 20. Once both the standard component and the masterwork component are completed, the masterwork item is finished. Note: The cost you pay for the masterwork component is one-third of the given amount, just as it is for the cost in raw materials.

Any masterwork item has to have a "bonus" conveyed to its use. What bonus is conveyed for having a masterwork chair? A masterwork shovel?

There are no skills involved in using either of these so nothing to provide a bonus to.

Look at the cost differential for masterwork component price is there a potential for abuse here? I see one.

So I would say no way.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Ir,

Using a shovel as a weapon still seems reasonable and thus enchanting one seems logical to me. I mean a scythe can be used either to reap wheat or people. Just depends.

Remove ads